The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Should Stop Looking At Raymonds Down Side

TACIC

We're not gonna win the cup with players like him on our team. We're in a win now mode, and he's gotten every chance to stay with this team and he dissapointed every single time after his breakout year in 2009-2010. He's a perimiter player, and doesn't go to the net. His balance is horrible as he falls down 5-6 times a game when no one has touched him. if he comes back we`re not going anywhere.

pros vs con

pros

-fast

-good in defensive zone

cons

-falls often

-inconsistent

-not physical

-inaccurate shot (doesn't help that he has a shoot first mentality)

-not skilled enough for the top 6, not physical enough for the bottom 6

-he killed offensive chemistry on any line he played on this season because of his ridiculous shot (try and remember the last time a canuck line was hot that included Raymond...)

As for saying he is a "young" speedy winger...Raymond is 26 years old now. I think it has been way past his due date to reach his potential.

As for finding him a different centre. 1.) Raymond is not the superstar here, the top guns should not be adjusting to an unproven winger's game 2.) He has had 5 seasons to find chemistry on a line and develop into that speedy winger we though he would be but he has failed. He has had his fair share of chances to find a line suiting him.

We could also sit here, defend Raymond say this is not fair criticism because of his past injuries and keep him with the small amount he brings to this team. Or we could get other players that will make this team better. At this point, I would rather see players get a shot from the farm team at Raymond's spot. Players who haven't had a shot to prove themselves yet.

My patience with Raymond is bone dry after this season. It is time for him to go or sign a 2way contract so he isn't taking up a free roster spot.

I like how Raymond goes consistently to the net, once in every 82 games.

I like how Raymond consistently goes for 7, 8, 9 or 10 consecutive games without getting any points.

I like how Raymond reduces the point production of the other 2 forwards on every line he's played on.

I like how he never tries to block any shots.

I like how he protects himself from the opponent's body checks by falling down to the ice.

I like how he wins 0.01% of all his puck battles.

It's easy to be looking for scapegoats when the season didn't end quite the way we all wanted it to.

Suspect Raymond wasn't 100% after that wicked back injury last year. Maybe he came back too soon, and never really got properly conditioned for NHL level action.

But, we can't totally ignore that, if he's going to make a long term impact at this level, he definitely has to stay upright on his skates.

He's young enough and still has the goods to make a really good shot at being a top flight NHL player. But, he will need to shed that AHL style speed and guts for NHL style size and grit. The ultimate question is, is he willing to change at this stage of his career. He's starting to advance in age, and if he doesn't want to wear out his welcome in the NHL, and our nerves with those constantly fruitless charges on net, he really does need to concentrate on rounding out his scoring skills, and maybe put on a good 20-30lbs of muscle too so that he can protect himself in the offensive zone.

Whatever happens, I wish him all the best. When all is said and done, he does try hard on the ice.

The coaching staff and management aren't stupid. He broke his back and was recovering all season, he has almost no value right now. They're going to do the same thing with him as they did with Hodgson. Put him in ideal situations to pump up his stats and trade him when he has some real value.

you forgot to mention coloured lines ;)

His upside is utilizing his speed to help defensively and on the penalty kill. He'd be better used in a 3rd/4th line role, but 2+ million is a lot to pay for that when we still have bigger roles to fill.

Also, anyone who thinks Raymond should play a grittier game is maybe expecting to go 4X4ing with a Ferrari.

When he gets 100% healthy and starts potting goals and setting up plays with his speed, there are going to be a lot of people around here eating a steady diet of crow.

Trust that.

Archived