The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Should Stop Looking At Raymonds Down Side

TACIC

What great effect? His best season was 25 goals, and he's regressed terribly since then, even before the back injury. He had 2 goals in the ENTIRE playoff run last year, including one empty netter....as a top six forward playing on a line with Kesler who ripped apart Nashville....Raymond sucks.

Also, anyone who thinks Raymond should play a grittier game is maybe expecting to go 4X4ing with a Ferrari.

When he gets 100% healthy and starts potting goals and setting up plays with his speed, there are going to be a lot of people around here eating a steady diet of crow.

Trust that.

I'm with V and Bodee in that I've always defended Raymond. I feel a lot (but not all) of the criticism directed at him is unfair. I also think that the positives of his game are overlooked by haters.

That being said, he has to be qualified at 2.55 million this offseason. That seems to be an awfully steep price to pay for 15 goals and defensive responsibility.

I think we might see a case where MG doesn't qualify Mayray and then try and sign him as a UFA at a more reasonable salary. The risk of course, is that he ends up signing with the Flames or the Avs, rediscovers his game and comes back to haunt the Canucks.

But hey, that's why Gillis makes the big bucks....

Raymond is one of the few snipers in the league that will back check every time. So at least he is defensively responsible. His scoring touch will come back next year. Still worth around $2m in my book.

Archived