The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Should Stop Looking At Raymonds Down Side

TACIC

Even *before* he got injured, he was unable to get into the offensive zone properly.

The fact is that there is nothing about Raymond that is exceptional, except for his speed. His defensive play and mobility is good, his hands are average at best, and his strength on the puck and along the boards is far below what it needs to be.

As a result, he is simply not talented enough to be on the top 2 lines. And he isn't strong enough to be on the bottom 2.

Raymond is one of the few snipers in the league that will back check every time. So at least he is defensively responsible. His scoring touch will come back next year. Still worth around $2m in my book.

I only see the defence losing ground on him here. Is that good enough. To say he isn't fast exposes your bias my friend. You are yet another person who only sees what you want to see.

or this.

Raymond payback on Marchand.

Speed and goes to the net. He's got it all and we trade him and regret it, I say.

Raymond with Kes. We have missed this.

again at the net for Kes

This one is interesting because if you look Raymond is the player dashing to help in front of his own goal. He turns on a dime when the Canucks get the puck and he is off. Look at the defenders who just give up. He is the king of transition.

Wrap around

Sweet to drag.

One of the things which strike me on quite a few of MR's goals is his tremendous chemistry with Kesler. On it's day it's awesome!................The guy has it all. We need to stick with him at least another season in my book.

raymond didn't go to the net before he broke his back... pretty poor excuses some of you are making for him.

raymond isn't a top 6 forward on any team in the NHL - and as a bottom 6 he is soft and ineffective. really, where does he fit in on this team?

the chicago wolves.

raymond didn't go to the net before he broke his back... pretty poor excuses some of you are making for him.

raymond isn't a top 6 forward on any team in the NHL - and as a bottom 6 he is soft and ineffective. really, where does he fit in on this team?

the chicago wolves.

Cool, let's forget his inability to score, his ability to spend more times on his butt and not on his skates. Let's not forget that he is making too much money for what he does. Cut him loose. The Canucks will easily survive without him. A shame really because I wanted to see him hit his potential. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. He sure did not play for a contract extension this year.

Off the top of my head:

Andrew Cogliano, Darren Helm, Jannik Hansen, Viktor Stalberg, Torrey Mitchell, Lauri Korpikoski, Mikkel Boedker, Matthew Lombardi, Jason Chimera, Matt Cooke, Tyler Kennedy, Carl Hagelin (Martin Erat, Matt Duchene, Devon Setoguchi, Michael Grabner, Kris Versteeg as well but these guys score).

Just for the sake of illuminating how people can give up on a player, I thought I'd show you all a previous quote:

Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than him. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous

Just for the sake of illuminating how people can give up on a player, I thought I'd show you all a previous quote:

Seems about bang on, doesn't it?

It does, until you realize that the player being criticized is not Mason Raymond. See if you can guess who it is.....

I think we might see a case where MG doesn't qualify Mayray and then try and sign him as a UFA at a more reasonable salary. The risk of course, is that he ends up signing with the Flames or the Avs, rediscovers his game and comes back to haunt the Canucks.

Archived