The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Should Stop Looking At Raymonds Down Side

TACIC

upside to may ray? :huh: Speed, no hands, no finish, and small? So we have a player who can fill ice quickly, can't handle the puck, and can't score. Overpaid 4th liner? Wait too small. 2.55M for what? May Ray needs to turn it around right away here.

I take issue with him having a "hard but inaccurate shot." 1) It doesn't look hard, and 2) is actually uncanny in its accuracy of finding the crest of all puck stoppers.

Seriously, the guy is a poster boy for what ails this team. Speedy, skilled, smallish player that won't hurt a fly, has no playoff gear and is totally devoid of elbow grease. If he's back I'll question the MG extension.

I'll take a late round pick for his rights but wouldn't be upset if we loose him for nothing.

The Canucks damn well better ship Raymond out. It will be very disappointing if he is brought back.

Other than skating around in circles, what else can he do? Can't finish to save his life, always on the perimeter and barely ever driving to the net. All he is good for is falling down on his ass every few times a game.

Re-sign Raymond for 2 more years, 1.25-1.50m per.

He is a solid 3rd line player, with an erratic offensive upside.

He is a good/great defensive asset; strong backcheck, great d-zone interceptor, top of the league speed for breakouts.

As the title of this thread infers, there IS an upside to Mason Raymond. Now it is time for the coaching staff to focus on his assets instead of trying to force fit him into a 2nd line offensive role.

He is a good/great defensive asset; strong backcheck, great d-zone interceptor, top of the league speed for breakouts.

As the title of this thread infers, there IS an upside to Mason Raymond. Now it is time for the coaching staff to focus on his assets instead of trying to force fit him into a 2nd line offensive role.

Raymond has had enough chances in a top six role to produce, even in the playoffs hes been given alot of ice time and he continues to fail.

I am ok with him on the 3rd line, hes a good checker and might play better with less pressure on him.

His lack of physical play is a problem for the bottom six though, hes a perimeter player, you need the bottom six to drive to the net.

It's been pointed out (a few times now) that as an RFA, Raymond must receive a qualifying offer from the Canucks at no less than his current salary. Otherwise, he becomes a UFA.

The Canucks could go that route and then offer him what you suggest, but any other team could step in and make a better offer. If he took the competing offer, the Canucks would have lost him for nothing.

It puts Gillis in a tough spot. 2.5 million is a steep price to pay, but it would also be tough to let him walk after all the time and money the team has put into his development.

That's throwing good money after bad. They can't offer him that much. It's a bad investment until they know he can get back to 20+ goals/50-ish points a season.

I like Raymond, but he does need to recognize that, through no fault of his own, his value has gone down, if not temporarily. I wouldn't blame him for leaving - in this business you have to grab as much money as you can while you can -  but if he wants to do the right thing, he will allow the Canucks to resign him at a short term discount after they let him become a UFA. They stuck with him through his difficult last two seasons. He, in my mind, owes them the courtesy of a discounted short term deal. Quid pro quo.

And to restate my position, I like him. I want him back. He needs a chance to show that he can get his game back. But if he can't, then it's best for everyone that he walk. And if he still thinks he's worth 2.5 in his current condition, he should walk. Hard.

Once again, because people can't seem to comprehend. HE CANNOT BE SIGNED FOR LOWER THAN WHAT HE IS MAKING NOW. He's a restricted free agent, he can't be qualified below 2.5M. This is why people want to let him walk. We can't just offer him less money....Aiiiieeeeee, and this has been mentioned numerous times now.

Archived