The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Since Suter Is Unlikely Would Justin Shultz Be A Nice Consulation Prize?

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lets be realistic Suter coming to Van is very unlikely. So should we focus on trying to get this kid who many beileve is ready to play top 4 mintues in the NHL. I dont know too much about him other than he plays like Jake Gardiner. Some people belive that he is even better that Gardiner. Could be a good idea but then again as highly touted as he is, he has never played in the NHL. If someone could post some stats about him that would be great.

He's not unlikely. For all we know, Hamhius is probably sending him and Weber text msgs on how great this team is, and why he should join the VAncouver Canucks. I'm not joking, and it's not like we don't have leverage. We are one of the best teams, and Suter on a offensive team, he can put up over 50 points for us no problem.

I watched him play on the Westside Warriors and he was incredible, I hope we can sign him. Isn't Vancouver his favorite team anyway?

I agree as to why Suter is unlikely. I think the only thing unlikely about it, is how much we are willing to compete for him.

First off when you make a post like this one do you even look at the Canucks cap? To add another defenseman one would have to leave. Is Salo retiring? Is Gillis trading away a Dman for a pick or picks? Nope, so until such an annoucement is made I guess this is pointless.

Here is a potential line-up with Suter. It's being assumed that Suter has a front-loaded contract which permits a somewhat lower cap hit. This line up also assumes Luongo is traded to TB. Ballard has also been moved, for cap reasons.

For the following year's UFA/RFA signings, there's over $10 million in free space (current free cap space, plus amounts from Garon, Malhotra, Salo, Alberts, Volpatti, Bitz and Ebbett assuming these were not offered a new contract).

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Teddy Purcell ($2.363m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.650m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,887,500; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,412,500

regards,

G.

Don't forget that next years problem will have to come into play in MG's decision making this as well, burr's contract is up next season and we'll need more room for that so if MG can pick up a good Dman like Schultz to develop for the future with not losing a lot of cap space then i'm sure he'd do it. I think we all know that MG is planning for the future too so i'm not sure he'd go dumping guys who are on 2 way contracts just to open a bit of cap space for big name players like Suter unless it's a package deal. Good thing about MG is that he won't go dealing depth unless he gets something in return to make up for it.

when i was watching tsn and they were talking about him and they said theres a good chance it comes down to edm and van.....ill take those odds any day...

hamhuis-weber

zanon-bieksa

hannan-tanev

gragnani-shultz

4 new bc born players on the blueline!!!! BOO YEAH!!!

He's not unlikely. For all we know, Hamhius is probably sending him and Weber text msgs on how great this team is, and why he should join the VAncouver Canucks. I'm not joking, and it's not like we don't have leverage. We are one of the best teams, and Suter on a offensive team, he can put up over 50 points for us no problem.

Guest BuckFoston

Why is Suter to Vancouver unlikely?

Who knows where he wants to play, but maybe Hamhuis can sway him, you never know.

Couldn't hurt to make him an offer if Gillis is interested.

I'll be happy to eat these words if Suter comes here but people have to stop with the thinking that every superstar/star/borderline star that is UFA wants to sign here. I know we are a contender and I know it's a great place to live but there are other teams that have that too. Suter will remain a Predator or will be a Red Wing by noon on July 1. Likely the later. Again, happy to be proven otherwise but there is such a fixation that all the superstars will come here it's crazy.

Putting aside the thread hijack, I don't know much about Shultz but it sounds like he could be a solid pick up - our prospect cupboard is pretty thin so would gladly take him. Can never have too many D prospects! Or any prospects for that matter...

Archived