Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks (The Province Article)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#1 Grags2Kass

Grags2Kass

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

:canucks:

No one has to draw a flow chart for Jordan Schroeder to show him how his stock has risen in the Canucks organization the last few months.
Yes, he’s coming off a very solid season with the AHL Chicago Wolves, but the trade of third-line centre Cody Hodgson at the deadline in late February, along with this week’s news that second-line pivot Ryan Kesler will be out until at least November after shoulder surgery, have Schroeder rocketing up the depth chart.

Sure, a lot can happen between now and training camp, but Schroeder — a small (5-foot-8) but NHL-quick centre the Canucks took 22nd overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft — is determined to make sure he takes full advantage of his opportunity.
“I do [see the opportunity], but I’m not going to look at it as Kesler’s injury was the only way that I made the team,” said Schroeder, 21, from his family’s cabin on Lake Vermilion in northern Minnesota, where he’s planning a weekend of fishing.

“But it does help. My goal, just like anyone else, is to come out and compete for a job. Maybe things like this trickle down and some guys get opportunities that they might not have got before. It’s not good news for him, he’s an awesome player and I’m sure they’ll miss him while he’s out.”
Schroeder had a tough first pro season in Manitoba under head coach Claude Noel, but broadened his game and his stats this year in Chicago. He played both special teams and finished with 21 goals and 44 points in 76 games under coach Craig MacTavish.

Although he freely admits the shift from U.S. college hockey two seasons ago was a shock, he feels he’s ready to challenge for an NHL job this fall.
“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”
Schroeder admits he had to learn some hard lessons from Noel.

“I had a lot of learning to do,” said Schroeder. “Claude Noel told me you’re going to realize what you need to do to be successful. He was pretty hard on me, but I think I’m a better player for it.
“This year, with coach MacTavish, he helped me a lot, adding stuff to my game, trying to make me a better all-around player.”
Schroeder knows that to be successful in the NHL as a small player, you have to be able to put up points. While his speed created scoring chances for him in the AHL, he didn’t convert often enough — and that’s something he wants to rectify.

“I really want to work on my shot this summer,” said Schroeder, who works out in the off-season in his suburban Minneapolis hometown of Lakeville with the likes of NHLers Zach Parise, Kyle Okposo, Drew Stafford and Bryce Salvador.
“I think I can put up a lot more goals than I did this year. It was a big step for me to hit 21 goals, but I think I could have taken off in that area if I would have hit the net more or kept it down and hit the right spots.”

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

(This was posted in the prospects forum already by Squeak but not many people go there and this article deserves more attention here).

Edited by Grags2Kass, 09 May 2012 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hope he gets his chance come september!

#3 hyroglyphixs

hyroglyphixs

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

I hope he comes to training camp ready :)
The window is open for him, he just needs to take advantage of it.

Posted Image

"If you do enough things, you're going to eventually narrow it down to the things that really make you happy." ~LIGHTS

GO CANUCKS GO!!

#4 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

He better get ready for his 3 minutes of ice time

#5 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

good interview.. i bet the kesler news is going to motivate him even more to have the best offseason training camp of his life.

how sick would that be if he steps in and dominates and continues the success on a line with kes haha.. huge long shot, but not totally out of the question

#6 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

He's small and Gillis has said that he wants the team to get bigger. Schroeder could definitely be used as trade bait if he plays well enough as the 2nd line center.

Looking forward to the draft and off-season moves. This team needs major changes.

Needs to get more skilled,physical, faster, younger.

#7 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

God I hate the topics that come up in the offseason. One piece of news a week with 100 topics posted on it shortly after.

i1u6zif.gif

#8 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

i have always thought of him as a winger more than a center...so he could use his speed and skill more
Posted Image

#9 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

He's small and Gillis has said that he wants the team to get bigger. Schroeder could definitely be used as trade bait if he plays well enough as the 2nd line center.

Schroeder is the kind of guy that we will want to keep, he is very solid on his feet and in board battles for his size and plays much better with larger speedy guys. I think with Jensen and Kassian on his wings in the future he would do very well. Hang onto him unless one of those 5 players becomes available.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#10 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,338 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

We have an inside man with Parise. :bigblush:

#11 Kesler's Pain Face

Kesler's Pain Face

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sounds like an awesome guy.

Hopefully you know who actually plays him more than 2 mins a game.

#12 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

I hope he gets a shot with the team. I doubt he will get a permanent roster spot this year, but I bet that the taste of the NHL will spark him if/when he is sent down. I can't wait for the training camp.

#13 Alf

Alf

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

44 points in 76 games in the AHL? Ooooohhh! He's just lookin to bust out at the NHL level. :rolleyes: It's amazing what The Province will publish on a slow sports day.

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

He better get ready for his 3 minutes of ice time

Yup, and this exactly why I want AV gone, for this exact reason.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#15 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Watch him stick with the team, then get traded once Kes returns, Kes will be his same injured self from last season and we will be without another one of our top prospects who are about to contribute.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#16 RKESLER17

RKESLER17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hope that he has an awesome off-season!!!

#17 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

44 points in 76 games in the AHL? Ooooohhh! He's just lookin to bust out at the NHL level. :rolleyes: It's amazing what The Province will publish on a slow sports day.

Can never count him out to make the team but yeah 44 points 76 games in the AHL isn't exactly screaming second line NHL centerman, screams more another year of seasoning in the AHL.

#18 EV604

EV604

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hope hes on the roster next year. Best of luck Jordan

#19 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

Wonder if they are looking to put him in third line center spot, or maybe he will be on the wing with an experienced winger to learn the ropes in the NHL... all depends on him I guess -_-

Edited by Captain Hindsight, 09 May 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#20 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'd love to see him get a chance to play 2nd line while Kesler is out recovering to 100% THIS TIME.

Even if Kes gets back if he could stay and center the 3rd line. He'd be playing with Hansen/Higgins/Raymond depending on what happens in the off-season.

This all can only happen if Pahlsson doesn't resign here.

I've watched him play a couple times and he's pretty damn fast. He's also doing really well in his own zone from what I noticed. I think he could be good enough to take a permanent 3rd line roll for the next year or more.

#21 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Still doubting he will make the team, but it would be nice to see him succeed.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#22 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

To be honest, i hope we don't have to rely on Schroeder filling a top 6 role next season.

Counting on Gillis to get a top 6 forward this summer. Schroeder still needs to hone his offensive game in the AHL.
Posted Image

#23 Cpt_scary

Cpt_scary

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

schroeder has hardly ever been a ppg or over a ppg player his whole junior/college/pro career thus far.

not saying he wont pan out and become a steady nhler but anyone expecting him to come in and light it up in his first few years needs to pinch themselves.

#24 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hopefully he gets his ice time. As a centerman, he might get his chance early in the season with Kes out
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#25 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

I'm all for giving him a fair shot, I'd love for him to make it.

Posted Image

#26 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

ZOMG HE TRAIN WITH PARISE!!!! HE GUNNA WORK WELL WITH HIM LIKE KESLER AND BOOTH...

Posted Image

#27 canuckfan_sincebirth

canuckfan_sincebirth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

I hope we get to see alot of him next year, and maybe
a little bit of Nicklas Jensen :bigblush:

#28 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hope it works out for him..I do recall that he did look pretty good on the PP last preseason (he's fairly proficient at the one-timer)

#29 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

I just don't think this is his year,

I think he needs another year in the AHL to work on his offensive game (Like he said)

#30 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

To be honest, i hope we don't have to rely on Schroeder filling a top 6 role next season.

Counting on Gillis to get a top 6 forward this summer. Schroeder still needs to hone his offensive game in the AHL.

Pretty much agree with this.

While it might be a pleasant surprise to have Schroeder as the 2C because he has out-played anyone else in camp, that could also mean that there wasn't a lot of guys in camp with whom to compete, which could be bad news for the team.

There is still the chance of the team picking up a top-6 center/winger in either the assumed upcoming goalie trade, or in a completely different trade to a second team. At the very least, the team could pick up a UFA on a one year contract. This guy could handle 2C duties until Kesler returns.

Possible UFA's could be: Jason Arnott, Olli Jokinen, Chris Kelly, heck even Kyle Wellwood.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.