The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks (The Province Article)

Grags2Kass

I doubt he will make it. He was good in the AHL, 44 points in 76 games as a top 6 player in the NHL is not good at all, let a lone at the AHL level, wish him the best. From the first day we drafted him, he is a high risk player, because of his size. lets see what happens.

Let me guess you didn't follow the Wolves at all? you just are looking at points? He was working on his defensive game most if not all of the year (Because he has realized that if he wants to play with the Canucks he has to have a very good defensive game if he wants ice time). He didn't start putting up a ton of points until late in the year but when he started he was on fire. Oh and FYI Cody only had 30 points in 52 games which means he was on pace for less points (like 0.01 less) than Schroeder got.

“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”

Imagine if Cody Hodgson had the same mentality as this kid. This quote totally shows you the difference between their maturity and understanding as players what it takes to make it and play in the NHL.

CH saw his friends, whom were all drafted by significantly weaker teams, start their careers in the NHL - mind you they were also much more talented to start. This helped jade his view, his agents view (all 3 of them) and then his parents view of where he should be in his career.

It's nice to see a young player like Schroeder come out and state that he knows he has a lot to learn which basically shows that he is grateful that Canucks management, their staff in Noel and MacT have taken their time, taking him under their wing and are helping in his development.

"Patience young grasshopper...."

Pretty much agree with this.

While it might be a pleasant surprise to have Schroeder as the 2C because he has out-played anyone else in camp, that could also mean that there wasn't a lot of guys in camp with whom to compete, which could be bad news for the team.

There is still the chance of the team picking up a top-6 center/winger in either the assumed upcoming goalie trade, or in a completely different trade to a second team. At the very least, the team could pick up a UFA on a one year contract. This guy could handle 2C duties until Kesler returns.

Possible UFA's could be: Jason Arnott, Olli Jokinen, Chris Kelly, heck even Kyle Wellwood.

regards,

G.

Almost the same weight as Raymond and 4 inches shorter...That means he has a low centre of gravity and won't fall all over the ice like Mase does.

Don't be mistaken, the guy may be small but he's strong and hard to knock off the puck. He ranked high up in alot of the strength drills in his combine year.

What separates him from Raymond is that he actually knows where to go when entering the offensive zone, and he knows how to make plays, sometimes out of nothing, instead of killing them.

“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”

Imagine if Cody Hodgson had the same mentality as this kid. This quote totally shows you the difference between their maturity and understanding as players what it takes to make it and play in the NHL.

CH saw his friends, whom were all drafted by significantly weaker teams, start their careers in the NHL - mind you they were also much more talented to start. This helped jade his view, his agents view (all 3 of them) and then his parents view of where he should be in his career.

It's nice to see a young player like Schroeder come out and state that he knows he has a lot to learn which basically shows that he is grateful that Canucks management, their staff in Noel and MacT have taken their time, taking him under their wing and are helping in his development.

"Patience young grasshopper...."

The roster should dictate that. How a player plays should dictate that.

Hodgson was in our top 4 in goals but was 9th in ice time. Around the league other rookies who were performing as well got plenty more ice time, the top 4 rookie scorers got 17-18 minutes a game, Hodgson was 5th in scoring and got 12 minutes. All the rookie forwards from 6th-12th in scoring had at least 2 minutes more per game than him.

The Flyers had no problem having 3 rookie forwards all getting more ice time than Hodgson got. When Hodgson was here he was around 30th in the league in icetime for rookie forwards, yet he was top 5 in scoring among rookie forwards.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I was just pointing out that for a one year contract at a reasonable cap hit, there are guys out there who could fill the 2C spot on this team until Kesler returns.

Wellwood got 18g 29a in 71 games, +3 and and a 54% in the face off circle, all for $700,000.

regards,

G.

Archived