The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks (The Province Article)

Grags2Kass

Even with Kesler out, I don't know how Schroeder would fit into the lineup when we have Henrik, Påhlsson, Malhotra, and Lappiere playing centre. AV has enough problems juggling 5 centremen with either Malhotra or Lappiere switching it up on the wing.

It's going to be interesting what moves Gillis making during the off-season..

if he's ready I look forward to seeing him play. But like he said, he has learned a lot in the minors and another year he would learn even more. If he is ready, he has an opportunity to play. If he is not then another year developing is not a bad thing at all. Don't want to rush some of our youth/prospects.

Even with Kesler out, I don't know how Schroeder would fit into the lineup when we have Henrik, Påhlsson, Malhotra, and Lappiere playing centre. AV has enough problems juggling 5 centremen with either Malhotra or Lappiere switching it up on the wing.

It's going to be interesting what moves Gillis making during the off-season..

He deserves a chance. I've always been an AV fan, but Schroeder will never get a chance under AV. AV is a good coach, but I think it is time for a new philosophy.

Or AV needs to evolve and have confidence in his young prospect.

In a perfect world, Gillis is able to pick up a solid 2nd line centre, giving the team lots of options for Kesler's return from injury in November, and we have a fourth line made up Jensen (LW) -- Schroeder © -- Kassian (RW).

This allows the team to get younger, bigger (except for Schroeder of course), and provides for a fourth line that has nearly $3MM cap hit ($2.7MM, I think) that has the opportunity to develop at the NHL level with up to 8 minutes/game of ice time. A young, fast, hungry line with a full season apprenticeship in the regular season would look good as a fourth line for the 2013 playoffs (assuming the team makes it).

Let's assume the Canucks make the playoffs in 2013 (maybe as a 3rd-8th seed)...the trade off would be sacrificing regular season points, but a young 4th that would be more play-off ready than if they didn't play the regular season games. I'd take that trade-off any day of the week.

I'm not creative enough to think this up...lots of teams have done this in the past...best example I can think of is the 1990 Oilers Stanley Cup team whose 4th line was made up of Joe Murphy--Craig Simpson--Adam Graves (this is how old I am...).

Let me guess you didn't follow the Wolves at all? you just are looking at points? He was working on his defensive game most if not all of the year (Because he has realized that if he wants to play with the Canucks he has to have a very good defensive game if he wants ice time). He didn't start putting up a ton of points until late in the year but when he started he was on fire. Oh and FYI Cody only had 30 points in 52 games which means he was on pace for less points (like 0.01 less) than Schroeder got.

For people complaining about Schroeders point total, the AHL isn't ideal for skill players like him, like others have pointed out even Hodgson didn't have great numbers down there. I think Schroeder would do better on an NHL team than the minors, points wise.

Lets see, he's young, quick, skilled, and small -to AV that means;

1. Needs to play him on the 4th line, then complain he's not gritty enough.

2. Bench him, saying he's not big enough or his "compete level" wasn't good enough.

3. Sit him in the press box.

If it isn't a grinder type of player, we should just trade our prospects as long as AV is here, and spare them and us the heartbreak of AV "developing" them...

Lets see, he's young, quick, skilled, and small -to AV that means;

1. Needs to play him on the 4th line, then complain he's not gritty enough.

2. Bench him, saying he's not big enough or his "compete level" wasn't good enough.

3. Sit him in the press box.

If it isn't a grinder type of player, we should just trade our prospects as long as AV is here, and spare them and us the heartbreak of AV "developing" them...

Archived