The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber Tops Canucks Fantasy Trade List (Province Article)

bryguy26

The Canucks have done their due diligence, to be sure, and the message this week is a fairly simple one — stay the course.

Of course, that was also the message in both Edmonton and Calgary after their runs to Stanley Cup final. Didn’t work out so well there.

In sports, many times, some change can do a team a world of good.

It’s sure been effective for the L.A. Kings, who are in the Western Conference final after undergoing a year-long roster overhaul that really didn’t end until the trade deadline.

And now, after having made it look easy knocking off the West’s No. 1 and 2 seeds, Darryl Sutter and his Kings are nicely positioned — maybe even favoured — to win it all. If they do, it will be the ninth time in 21 years a coach in his first year with a team won the Cup.

Worth noting here is that only two coaches in NHL history have been with a team for six years and then won a championship. The Canucks will try to add to that rather minuscule list.

The Canucks, now that ownership has been pacified, don’t believe this is the time to be making changes. So that coaching staff, pending Alain Vigneault’s extension, is getting ready to accept their mulligan and do it all again.

To be fair, the Canucks are already committed to some change this offseason, at least if they can settle on a landing spot for their former No. 1 netminder.

Toronto has to top the early line as betting favourite to trade for Roberto Luongo. They have both need and assets. It’s also a place Luongo is willing to go.

But you can’t be sure how much Luongo’s official list really matters anyway. It’s hard to believe there are many situations less inviting than the one in Vancouver, where, if he were to come back, his playing time may be reduced to something like 30-35 games behind Cory Schneider. Don’t be surprised if Luongo’s real list is a lot longer than five teams.

Other avenues for Canucks change will begin to be explored during the next six weeks, leading up the NHL Entry Draft. Hardcore fans already have their drool buckets ready, counting down the days to June 1, when super prospect Justin Schultz will be a free agent (if, as expected, he hasn’t signed with Anaheim by then).

Likely the best defenceman not playing in the NHL, he wouldn’t be able to sign with a team until July 1 but can negotiate before that. Being from Kelowna, the Canucks may have one of the inside tracks, but there won’t be a team in the NHL unwilling to pursue him.

However, none of the options will induce more drooling and dreaming throughout the Lower Mainland than any opportunity this team may have to trade for Shea Weber.

If the discussion about whether Mattias Ohlund should be in the Ring of Honour underscored anything, it’s just how deprived the Canucks have been of great defencemen. It’s hard to believe, after 40 years, the question of “who is the Canucks’ best blueliner of all time?” is boiled down to Jyrki Lumme vs. Ohlund.

You think this town is desperate for a true No. 1?

Weber is that type of player, the one the Canucks have forever lacked and coveted. But is it even possible?

Well, it just became at least plausible with the Predators disastrous second-round flame out. Ryan Suter is set to leave, and many people believe he will. Those around his situation claim he has a list of teams he wants to play for and Nashville isn’t on it.

If he does go, it backs the Predators into a corner. They haven’t been able to sign Weber to a long-term deal, and if that continues it’s either sign him for one year as a restricted free agent or trade him and try to retool on the fly.

That last option instantly means a treasure trove of assets will be coming back to Nashville in return. But would the Canucks have enough gold to barter with and win the auction?

There’s always Ryan Kesler, but he’s damaged goods, again, right now. Kevin Bieksa is locked up with a no-trade clause. Jannik Hansen is an intriguing option, and maybe the Canucks’ most intriguing. But he’s an add-on.

They do have Alex Edler, and the Predators would be hard pressed to find a better defenceman in a deal. His budget salary, $3.25 million, just oozes Nashville. But Edler is only signed for one more year and then he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Not much chance the Predators trade Weber for a player who could be gone in a year.

Nashville would have to get some kind of commitment from him before any deal. That won’t be easy.

But we’re wildly speculating about a dream offseason where the Canucks trade Luongo for assets and acquire both Weber and Shultz. Of course it won’t be easy.

jbotchford@theprovince.com

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1uRaf6nuO

I dont see Weber coming here this year, but no doubt when he becomes a free agent gillis will go after him. Schultz this year would be amazing. And since when did BC become a defenseman factory?

I believe any team wanting to trade for Weber would be crazy not to obtain permission to negotiate a new contract with him prior to any deal being made.

If a team traded for Weber without first negotiating a new contract, they would be in the same position as Nashville is right now. Weber would still be a RFA, and he could say, "I will sign only a one year deal in order to meet my RFA obligations and then I'm leaving as a UFA the following year." The second team loses what ever assets they gave up in order to get Weber's RFA rights.

It might just be cheaper to wait until Weber's a UFA.

regards,

G.

My dream would be if the canucks could flip edler + assets (maybe tanev) for weber, and we could sign suter as a free agent.

Top six of:

Weber Suter

Hamuhis Bieksa

Ballard Tanev

lol we'd win the cup for sure.

MARK MY WORDS! MARK THEM!!

Consider that Shea Weber has various ties to this city besides growing up 500 kms away.

Dan Hamhuis is a personal friend of Weber's and has been for eight years. In Nashville.

Roberto Luongo is a friend from the Olympics. Two years.

He knows that with his leadership he can anchor Vancouver's blueline.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Alexander Edler, Sammi Pahlsson, and Mason Raymond to Nashville

The other players will immediately reap the reward. Here's the amazing line-up post trade.

We also pick up Cam Fowler from free agency.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber That's a top pairing!

Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa A combination of speed and tenacity.

Cam Fowler - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev/MAG

We trade to find a balanced and explosive defence that will have the luxury of an elite goalie behind them. Both are Luongo and Schneider could flourish behind this defense. Management owes the goaltenders this much.

The Canucks could also offer up David Booth and Andrew Alberts in a trade for Jordan Stall, effectively moving Ryan Kesler to his natural position.

I may be crazy, I may have an issue with my font control, but one thing I know is that my trade scenario will pay off big time. And it's realistic.

I really don't get why people want to sell the farm for this guy????

Why fork out a ton of picks prospects and roster players for him if he will be ufa in a year? It's going to leave major gaps in the lineup that have to be filled via free angency with either over paying for guys who had a good playoff series or gambling on cheap underachievers.

If you think weber will resign here when his contract is up, then why not just wait a season so you don't have to fork out your 2 best prospects, a first round pick, kesler and tanev just to have him this season

MARK MY WORDS! MARK THEM!!

Consider that Shea Weber has various ties to this city besides growing up 500 kms away.

Dan Hamhuis is a personal friend of Weber's and has been for eight years. In Nashville.

Roberto Luongo is a friend from the Olympics. Two years.

He knows that with his leadership he can anchor Vancouver's blueline.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Alexander Edler, Sammi Pahlsson, and Mason Raymond to Nashville

The other players will immediately reap the reward. Here's the amazing line-up post trade.

We also pick up Cam Fowler from free agency.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber That's a top pairing!

Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa A combination of speed and tenacity.

Cam Fowler - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev/MAG

We trade to find a balanced and explosive defence that will have the luxury of an elite goalie behind them. Both are Luongo and Schneider could flourish behind this defense. Management owes the goaltenders this much.

The Canucks could also offer up David Booth and Andrew Alberts in a trade for Jordan Stall, effectively moving Ryan Kesler to his natural position.

I may be crazy, I may have an issue with my font control, but one thing I know is that my trade scenario will pay off big time. And it's realistic.

Archived