The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber Tops Canucks Fantasy Trade List (Province Article)

bryguy26

sami pahlsson is a free agent. the person who wrote that huge big bold letter eye sore post should give his head a shake for writing so big because he thinks his thoughts are more important than anyone elses, and for the fact he thinks we can include a crapty soon to be free agent in a trade for a norris candidate. Shea weber is obviously a great defenseman, but if the last few years have tought us anything, it's that beefing up your defense isnt the remedy for a stanley cup especially when it comes at the expense of offensive depth which was an issue during the finals last year, and during the later stages of this year. this team is better off keeping our current defense core while making sure we have nhl calibre d-men available in the 7th and 8th spot, and acquiring an established top six forward to play on the 2nd line so when higgins, booth, and other question mark forwards eventually do nothing, there will be a guy playing with kesler who you can automatically assume will get 25 goals every season and take pressure off the sedins in the playoffs.

also, i would like to think Ed Jovanovski could be considered in a group with lumme and ohlund, and even sami salo. if they continue to play with the team, i would put bieksa and edler in that group as well, and eventually hamhuis. there is no other team in the league that can say they have a top 4 d group as solid as ours and that goes along with us being one of the top 5 teams in terms of money committed to defense. canucks had 2 d with over 40 points, 1 in the 30s, and salo had 29 while only playing 69 games. fact is, we get a large portion of our scoring from the d, and they can defend as well, so i dont think getting weber should be our concern

Even though damaged goods, I believe it is time for Kesler to move on. People point at the injuries, but he lacked the heart during this season, something seemed off. He is a great player and I think we could get a good return on him...

If Shea Weber wants out of Nashville, we have to think Vancouver would have to be a desired destination. Fortunately, I don't think MG is gonna be stupid enough to give up the rediculous price Nashville management is gonna be wanting. At best I think MG may offer a roster player (David Booth?) and a top draft pick in this years draft (via trade for Lou).

I could see something like:

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

Clarke MacArthur

1st rnd pick 2012

Then,

To Nashville:

David Booth

Toronto's 1st rnd pick 2012

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

I believe the Toronto deal is plausible. If Vancouver were to acquire a Clarke MacArthur, I feel David Booth would become expendable. No "no trade clause" and he's locked up until 2015. Toronto picks fifth over all. Seeing as how Nashville doesn't have a first round pick at all this year and this draft isn't very deep, a high pick would definately be attractive. Griffin Reinhart would have to look interesting to Nashville (assuming he's still undrafted). But, as I said, Nashville's gonna want the house so I don't see it happening. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to watch MG draft Griffin Reinhardt himself and hope Shea Weber becomes a UFA at the end of next season.

sami pahlsson is a free agent. the person who wrote that huge big bold letter eye sore post should give his head a shake for writing so big because he thinks his thoughts are more important than anyone elses, and for the fact he thinks we can include a crapty soon to be free agent in a trade for a norris candidate. Shea weber is obviously a great defenseman, but if the last few years have tought us anything, it's that beefing up your defense isnt the remedy for a stanley cup especially when it comes at the expense of offensive depth which was an issue during the finals last year, and during the later stages of this year. this team is better off keeping our current defense core while making sure we have nhl calibre d-men available in the 7th and 8th spot, and acquiring an established top six forward to play on the 2nd line so when higgins, booth, and other question mark forwards eventually do nothing, there will be a guy playing with kesler who you can automatically assume will get 25 goals every season and take pressure off the sedins in the playoffs.

also, i would like to think Ed Jovanovski could be considered in a group with lumme and ohlund, and even sami salo. if they continue to play with the team, i would put bieksa and edler in that group as well, and eventually hamhuis. there is no other team in the league that can say they have a top 4 d group as solid as ours and that goes along with us being one of the top 5 teams in terms of money committed to defense. canucks had 2 d with over 40 points, 1 in the 30s, and salo had 29 while only playing 69 games. fact is, we get a large portion of our scoring from the d, and they can defend as well, so i dont think getting weber should be our concern

Archived