The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber Tops Canucks Fantasy Trade List (Province Article)

bryguy26

I really don't get why people want to sell the farm for this guy????

Why fork out a ton of picks prospects and roster players for him if he will be ufa in a year? It's going to leave major gaps in the lineup that have to be filled via free angency with either over paying for guys who had a good playoff series or gambling on cheap underachievers.

If you think weber will resign here when his contract is up, then why not just wait a season so you don't have to fork out your 2 best prospects, a first round pick, kesler and tanev just to have him this season

Lou will garner a mid tier prospect (Franson?), a reasonable big fast roster player plus the 5th if it was the bait.

The roster player would be necessary for the cap hit, but a draft pick probably does nothing for us immediately. Some immediate help is definitely on the want list!

But once you have the asset's, I would certainly take a run at both Schultz & Weber.

Luongo for Toronto's 5th overall

5th overall and Edler for Weber and NSH 1st?

If we got Weber, Nashville would have no reason at all to be adding first round draft pics into the deal. The reverse would probably be true! There is no two players we would offer that would not also require adding value such as a premium pic.

Nashville doesn't have a 1st round pick. They traded it for Gaustad.

There's no way Weber's coming here.

Even though damaged goods, I believe it is time for Kesler to move on. People point at the injuries, but he lacked the heart during this season, something seemed off. He is a great player and I think we could get a good return on him...

MARK MY WORDS! MARK THEM!!

Consider that Shea Weber has various ties to this city besides growing up 500 kms away.

Dan Hamhuis is a personal friend of Weber's and has been for eight years. In Nashville.

Roberto Luongo is a friend from the Olympics. Two years.

He knows that with his leadership he can anchor Vancouver's blueline.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Alexander Edler, Sammi Pahlsson, and Mason Raymond to Nashville

The other players will immediately reap the reward. Here's the amazing line-up post trade.

We also pick up Cam Fowler from free agency.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber That's a top pairing!

Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa A combination of speed and tenacity.

Cam Fowler - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev/MAG

We trade to find a balanced and explosive defence that will have the luxury of an elite goalie behind them. Both are Luongo and Schneider could flourish behind this defense. Management owes the goaltenders this much.

The Canucks could also offer up David Booth and Andrew Alberts in a trade for Jordan Stall, effectively moving Ryan Kesler to his natural position.

I may be crazy, I may have an issue with my font control, but one thing I know is that my trade scenario will pay off big time.

And it's realistic.

<p>

Duncan Keith

Brent Seabrook

Willie Mitchell

Shea Weber

Dan Hamhuis

Barret Jackman

Karl Alzner

Cody Franson

Eric Brewer

Scott Niedermayer

and that's just off the top of my head...

I built a team in NHL 12 of players only from BC and I had too many defenceman and had to make some difficult decisions. We aren't as lucky with forwards, though.

luongo for torontos 5th overall ^_^ (draft dumba)

let rome finally go B)

booth and alberts for j staal ;)

promote schroeder and jensen

pahlsson, raymond and MAG for Shea Weber

so it would look something like this

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Lappy-Kes-Staal

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Jensen

Edler-Bieksa

Weber-Hamhuis

Ballard-Salo

Tanev

Schneider

Lack

I'd like you all to consider the following: Weber's playoff resume leaves little to be desired. Though a perennial Norris finalist, he has not been very effective in the playoffs, where Canucks need the most help.

If Suter leaves then the writing is on the wall for Weber to go as well. If that is the case then Nashville might deal him to maximize their return realizing he can walk without compensation a year from now. Van cannot sit on the sidelines hoping for that eventuality. Such a deal almost guarantees that Edler will be part of that trade. It leaves Weber and Hamhuis on the left side. Bieksa/Tanev/Salo on the right. Who knows maybe the Preds would take Ballard.

Also sorts of options in a three way deal between TO/Preds/Van.

The absolute deals MG has to make with this club are moving Lou for real value and acquiring a top 2 d-core QB. Weber fits that role.

If Suter leaves then the writing is on the wall for Weber to go as well. If that is the case then Nashville might deal him to maximize their return realizing he can walk without compensation a year from now. Van cannot sit on the sidelines hoping for that eventuality. Such a deal almost guarantees that Edler will be part of that trade. It leaves Weber and Hamhuis on the left side. Bieksa/Tanev/Salo on the right. Who knows maybe the Preds would take Ballard.

Also sorts of options in a three way deal between TO/Preds/Van.

The absolute deals MG has to make with this club are moving Lou for real value and acquiring a top 2 d-core QB. Weber fits that role.

Are you willing to package kesler edler and a first to get him, cus I'm not. Vancouver is not going to be sitting on the sidelines next year as we still have a solid contending team without weber.

Gillis won't sell the farm for a guy that is ufa in a year and his hometown is 500 miles away. If he wants to be a Canuck he will sign in 2013. If he doesn't sign in 2013 were all going to be saying thank god we didn't trade for him.

I said this a while ago regarding Weber and still think it would work. Why not sign the guy to an offer sheet? By doing this, you guarantee one of two things. Either Nashville matches the offer and keeps Weber for one more year or they let him go and take the draft picks (most likely scenario).

By matching the offer sheet, Nashville ties there hands completely because they can't trade him til next year, at which time Weber would become a UFA. Therefore, I think it's very reasonable that Nashville let's Weber go and cashes in on the draft picks rather than losing Weber for nothing next summer.

As far as salary goes, I think Weber would buy into the Canucks organization considering his ties to the club. Because of this, he may sign for a little less (in the 6.5 - 7 million range) and the Canucks give up 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd round pick. I know that`s a lot to give up for one player, but we`re talking about acquiring the top defenseman in the NHL without hurting the core of the Canucks lineup. Yes they would have to dump Ballard and let Raymond go via free agency, but that`s a pretty small price to pay for the following lineup.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Ray Whitney ($3.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.613m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Byron Bitz ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Shea Weber ($7.000m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) /

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,862,500; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $437,500

luongo for torontos 5th overall ^_^ (draft dumba)

let rome finally go B)

booth and alberts for j staal ;)

promote schroeder and jensen

pahlsson, raymond and MAG for Shea Weber

so it would look something like this

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Lappy-Kes-Staal

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Jensen

Edler-Bieksa

Weber-Hamhuis

Ballard-Salo

Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Lou will garner a mid tier prospect (Franson?), a reasonable big fast roster player plus the 5th if it was the bait.

The roster player would be necessary for the cap hit, but a draft pick probably does nothing for us immediately. Some immediate help is definitely on the want list!

But once you have the asset's, I would certainly take a run at both Schultz & Weber.

Archived