Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Shea Weber Tops Canucks Fantasy Trade List (Province Article)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#61 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Thats just more of a reason to not trade them kesler, edler and half our future for him.. If he's looking for the home run Crosby contract then were screwed anyways because he won't resign. But we can however offer him a very generous(not quite Crosby money) long term contract in 2013. A contract with a team poised to win the cup(another reason to sign it). Not a team missing a great second line center and nothing coming down the prospect pipeline.

I see a great opportunity to add cup run pieces and prospects this summer by trading a goalie(something Nashville doesn't need so we would be sending key pieces of our team). We are still a top contender as is, why blow that and our future up?

Just because weber is awesome doesn't mean getting him that way will make us a better team.

Any package involving both Kesler AND Edler would be ridiculous and Mike Gillis would never do that, and never did i propose such a dumb deal. I don't know what it would take to get Weber, but i trust MG in what he feels might make this team better. But it won't require Kesler as well as Edler. It would be Kesler or Edler in a package deal.

What i was getting at is IF, we were able to trade for him, signing him to a fair deal BEFORE free agency would be better than trying to get him on free agency next year as he would have an opportunity to weigh his options, the price would sky rocket.
Posted Image

#62 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm not so sure about Weber anymore, I been a huge fan over the years and some may flame me for saying this but I am slowly starting to think he is a bit over-rated. After watching him a little closer the last couple seasons in the playoffs he doesn't seem like a 7-8mil player. Not saying I wouldn't love to see him playing for the Canucks, just not at that huge price tag.

Sorry but you're wrong. He's worth every bit of 7-8 M. Especially with the cap going up.
Posted Image

#63 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

his team just got spanked by the coyotes. He's not exactly a proven playoff performer.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#64 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Rafalski retires out of the blue. Now lidstrom retires, Detroit may finally be missing the playoffs. Wait, whats this? A boatload of cap space and Norris finalist Shea Weber and his buddy Ryan Suter want out of Nashville. Looks like Detroit just bought themselves another 10 years of playoffs.

#65 SwedishCrowns

SwedishCrowns

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

MARK MY WORDS! MARK THEM!!

Consider that Shea Weber has various ties to this city besides growing up 500 kms away.

Dan Hamhuis is a personal friend of Weber's and has been for eight years. In Nashville.

Roberto Luongo is a friend from the Olympics. Two years.

He knows that with his leadership he can anchor Vancouver's blueline.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Alexander Edler, Sammi Pahlsson, and Mason Raymond to Nashville

The other players will immediately reap the reward. Here's the amazing line-up post trade.

We also pick up Cam Fowler from free agency.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber That's a top pairing!
Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa A combination of speed and tenacity.
Cam Fowler - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev/MAG

We trade to find a balanced and explosive defence that will have the luxury of an elite goalie behind them. Both are Luongo and Schneider could flourish behind this defense. Management owes the goaltenders this much.

The Canucks could also offer up David Booth and Andrew Alberts in a trade for Jordan Stall, effectively moving Ryan Kesler to his natural position.

I may be crazy, I may have an issue with my font control, but one thing I know is that my trade scenario will pay off big time. And it's realistic.

Dude, thats a horrible lineupWeber/BieksaOhlund/EdlerTanev/Hamhuis

#66 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Rafalski retires out of the blue. Now lidstrom retires, Detroit may finally be missing the playoffs. Wait, whats this? A boatload of cap space and Norris finalist Shea Weber and his buddy Ryan Suter want out of Nashville. Looks like Detroit just bought themselves another 10 years of playoffs.

I am not sure if Weber would go, but I am sure Sutes would. I almost guarantee that is where he is eyeing. Plus, DET does not really have the assets to obtain Weber in a trade and NSH does have cap space to match an offer if they choose to. Could be interesting.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#67 Wonderine

Wonderine

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Wow! big fonts really do look more realistic. BAZINGA!!!!!!!

NUFF SAID

#68 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yay fantasy land!

Is that where cups are won?
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#69 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

MARK MY WORDS! MARK THEM!!

Consider that Shea Weber has various ties to this city besides growing up 500 kms away.

Dan Hamhuis is a personal friend of Weber's and has been for eight years. In Nashville.

Roberto Luongo is a friend from the Olympics. Two years.

He knows that with his leadership he can anchor Vancouver's blueline.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Alexander Edler, Sammi Pahlsson, and Mason Raymond to Nashville

The other players will immediately reap the reward. Here's the amazing line-up post trade.

We also pick up Cam Fowler from free agency.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber That's a top pairing!
Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa A combination of speed and tenacity.
Cam Fowler - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev/MAG

We trade to find a balanced and explosive defence that will have the luxury of an elite goalie behind them. Both are Luongo and Schneider could flourish behind this defense. Management owes the goaltenders this much.

The Canucks could also offer up David Booth and Andrew Alberts in a trade for Jordan Stall, effectively moving Ryan Kesler to his natural position.

I may be crazy, I may have an issue with my font control, but one thing I know is that my trade scenario will pay off big time. And it's realistic.

:picard:

Posted Image

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#70 33HankandDank22

33HankandDank22

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Not a frackin chance we will do that.

Do some reasearch, See what Penner got the OIlers, See what HOssa got the Thrashers, see what Kovalchuk got the Thrashers, see what Voukoun got the Predators, see what Pronger got the Oilers, also see what Pronger got the Anahiem ducks. and you will understand why Toronto's 5th pick alone is not enough to Land Luongo. If they are offering that, thats obviously not the best deal being offered to us.

Calm down there, he was obviously joking.....I hope

Edited by 33HankandDank22, 10 May 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#71 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Any package involving both Kesler AND Edler would be ridiculous and Mike Gillis would never do that, and never did i propose such a dumb deal. I don't know what it would take to get Weber, but i trust MG in what he feels might make this team better. But it won't require Kesler as well as Edler. It would be Kesler or Edler in a package deal.

What i was getting at is IF, we were able to trade for him, signing him to a fair deal BEFORE free agency would be better than trying to get him on free agency next year as he would have an opportunity to weigh his options, the price would sky rocket.

ok that is exactly how i feel. the thing is if weber hits the trade market that is probably what it would take or another team is going to outbid us.. if you can get him for edler and a first i'd be cool with that but it just wont happen.

in my mind any package you put together for weber will hurt the organization more than help it. For example if kesler lapierre tanev first rounder and jensen gets the deal done then how did you improve your team? you gave up you second line center, your ultimate bottom six playoff performer, your nhl ready low cap hit prospect dman, best prospect and the next best player your getting in the draft.. packages like that are going to be put together and presented to nashville and i know damn well mg wont do that.

but back to what you were saying about free agency i still think we will be able to compete contractwise for shea. the guy is going to take in 3 major things, money obviously, teams cup chances and team future, and where he wants to live and raise a family. anyone who is from bc considers it the greatest place on earth. shea is from sycamous, probably the nicest part of bc, theres no way he doesnt want to live here. our team is about as complete as it gets in the nhl and with the way MG is tackling prospect and player development aswell as a team of guys who signed for slightly less just to remain a contender i dont see that changing. I'll also add shea's displeasure with nashville was them not going all in and building a contender. lastly the money issue, i think we could offer him a long term into retirement contract that would get the job done. something front loaded like lu's(im more comfortable giving it to weber than lu lol) to give us a 7 mill cap hit and that ballin cash up front to him.

i think taking it all into consideration and if we can offer him that secure long term better cap hit contract, he would sign here. id rather do that than trade a portion of our roster and future to get him

#72 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

ok that is exactly how i feel. the thing is if weber hits the trade market that is probably what it would take or another team is going to outbid us.. if you can get him for edler and a first i'd be cool with that but it just wont happen.

in my mind any package you put together for weber will hurt the organization more than help it. For example if kesler lapierre tanev first rounder and jensen gets the deal done then how did you improve your team? you gave up you second line center, your ultimate bottom six playoff performer, your nhl ready low cap hit prospect dman, best prospect and the next best player your getting in the draft.. packages like that are going to be put together and presented to nashville and i know damn well mg wont do that.

but back to what you were saying about free agency i still think we will be able to compete contractwise for shea. the guy is going to take in 3 major things, money obviously, teams cup chances and team future, and where he wants to live and raise a family. anyone who is from bc considers it the greatest place on earth. shea is from sycamous, probably the nicest part of bc, theres no way he doesnt want to live here. our team is about as complete as it gets in the nhl and with the way MG is tackling prospect and player development aswell as a team of guys who signed for slightly less just to remain a contender i dont see that changing. I'll also add shea's displeasure with nashville was them not going all in and building a contender. lastly the money issue, i think we could offer him a long term into retirement contract that would get the job done. something front loaded like lu's(im more comfortable giving it to weber than lu lol) to give us a 7 mill cap hit and that ballin cash up front to him.

i think taking it all into consideration and if we can offer him that secure long term better cap hit contract, he would sign here. id rather do that than trade a portion of our roster and future to get him

I know mg isnt an idiot and wouldn't take a step backwards just to acquire a star. The best thing to do may be to forget him. I just think come july 1st 2013 the bidding war would just be stupid. But i've doubted mg before and he has delivered. I do think he will explore both options in trade and then FA though. Kinda useless tryin to figure out what our GM will do when we really dont know what the price will be. I could see Weber fetching upwards of 8.5 M a year though, unfortunately thats probably out of our budget.
Posted Image

#73 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

doesn't matter who tops the fantasy trade list, i'm sure no star caliber players wants to play in a city that turns on it's player faster than a blink of an eye, unless they were drafted and developed by the Canucks. like how many times we wanted so and so to come here and ended up they signing else where? it's like 1 in 10 will sign here.. and that's if they absolutely love the city or have ties that'll even consider signing here.. in recent memory.. how many star caliber player signed here because they want to be in vancouver playing for a contender and didn't sign here because of the money? prolly just Hamhuis..

#74 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

doesn't matter who tops the fantasy trade list, i'm sure no star caliber players wants to play in a city that turns on it's player faster than a blink of an eye, unless they were drafted and developed by the Canucks. like how many times we wanted so and so to come here and ended up they signing else where? it's like 1 in 10 will sign here.. and that's if they absolutely love the city or have ties that'll even consider signing here.. in recent memory.. how many star caliber player signed here because they want to be in vancouver playing for a contender and didn't sign here because of the money? prolly just Hamhuis..

Sundin

#75 wesley

wesley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Do we need another non-playoffs performer with a 7M+/year price tag?

#76 Jma7

Jma7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

To get Weber I'd imagine the nucks would have to give up a 1st rounder, Schroeder, and Edler or something of similar value. Possibly whatever we get back for trading Lu or Schneids would be thrown in there instead of the 1st
Posted Image

#77 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

I was starting to drink the KoolAid until you mentioned Pahlsson in the package for Weber. lol

Drink the Kool Aid! Drink it!
Posted Image

#78 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Dude, thats a horrible lineupWeber/BieksaOhlund/EdlerTanev/Hamhuis

Ohlund? Oldund.

Edler? Drop pass wizard.
Posted Image

#79 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

I would do it in a heartbeat. Without someone to hold his hand like Weber Edler is never going to develop. Kesler is almost useless since AV will let him come back too early and he'll be hurt for the playoffs again (if we make it), so yeah I'd throw in the first for a # 1 Norris candidate defenceman, which is what this needs.

Testify!
Posted Image

#80 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

You are right about one thing. You are crazy.

Crazy like a fox.
Posted Image

#81 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

COoL FoNTSZ BRO !

The cccooolors are beautiful
Posted Image

#82 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Pekka Rinne says hi.

so it will be a three way deal
i can see it now MG is in talks with Nashville saying hey i want weber i know you don't need Lu but who do you want from these choices (all the options MG has received from other teams willing to trade for Lu) so in the end it might end up being Lu for weber + a late pick of our own or a ok prospect.

but who knows what MG wants and how crazy he will go to get it... i for one want to see an Massive multi team trade involving players like Nash, weber, Suter, Parise, Lu, and several others plus some 1-5th overall draft picks.... make it Epic.
(and van ends up with Nash Weber Suter and Parise..........somehow all we give up is Lu and a Bag of pucks...)

in reality will weber play here next season i think chances are slim but MG does know we do need to beef up our D.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#83 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Why don't we just sign him next summer, rather then trade assets. I still love Edler, desipte a terrible 3 game spam, He will once again be a beast for us. Just sign him next summer.

his team just got spanked by the coyotes. He's not exactly a proven playoff performer.

Gold Medal winner. Went through 4 straight elimination games. Came out of all of them. He also spanked the "Red wings.". It was 5 close games, and his team happened to be on the losing end 4 times.

Calm down there, he was obviously joking.....I hope

I've seen "Luke Schenn for Luongo" way too many times. I need to educate my fellow Canuck fans.
"Luke Schenn for Luongo is = to Keith Ballard for Jonathan Quick.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#84 b-mo

b-mo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

sami pahlsson is a free agent. the person who wrote that huge big bold letter eye sore post should give his head a shake for writing so big because he thinks his thoughts are more important than anyone elses, and for the fact he thinks we can include a crapty soon to be free agent in a trade for a norris candidate. Shea weber is obviously a great defenseman, but if the last few years have tought us anything, it's that beefing up your defense isnt the remedy for a stanley cup especially when it comes at the expense of offensive depth which was an issue during the finals last year, and during the later stages of this year. this team is better off keeping our current defense core while making sure we have nhl calibre d-men available in the 7th and 8th spot, and acquiring an established top six forward to play on the 2nd line so when higgins, booth, and other question mark forwards eventually do nothing, there will be a guy playing with kesler who you can automatically assume will get 25 goals every season and take pressure off the sedins in the playoffs.

also, i would like to think Ed Jovanovski could be considered in a group with lumme and ohlund, and even sami salo. if they continue to play with the team, i would put bieksa and edler in that group as well, and eventually hamhuis. there is no other team in the league that can say they have a top 4 d group as solid as ours and that goes along with us being one of the top 5 teams in terms of money committed to defense. canucks had 2 d with over 40 points, 1 in the 30s, and salo had 29 while only playing 69 games. fact is, we get a large portion of our scoring from the d, and they can defend as well, so i dont think getting weber should be our concern
Posted Image

#85 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,472 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Weber kinda sucked against the Canucks in the playoffs last year and he looked pretty freakin' average in the playoffs again this year.

#86 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Luongo for Toronto's 5th overall

5th overall and Edler for Weber and NSH 1st?

Seems pretty even actually. Except that we should get more than a 5th overall pick for Lu.

Edited by ajhockey, 11 May 2012 - 02:14 AM.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#87 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

luongo for torontos 5th overall ^_^ (draft dumba)
let rome finally go B)
booth and alberts for j staal ;)
promote schroeder and jensen
pahlsson, raymond and MAG for Shea Weber

Dream on...

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#88 geezer2

geezer2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Even though damaged goods, I believe it is time for Kesler to move on. People point at the injuries, but he lacked the heart during this season, something seemed off. He is a great player and I think we could get a good return on him...

Lacked the heart ????? are you kidding me????? he has too much heart for his own good hew could have sat back whined bout his injury and collected all his money...

#89 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Canucks' only letting 1 goal in the last 3 playoff games of regulation say the Defense is fine (though an upgrade would be nice), its the lack of goals and addressing the 2nd line is what team needs to do.

#90 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

If Shea Weber wants out of Nashville, we have to think Vancouver would have to be a desired destination. Fortunately, I don't think MG is gonna be stupid enough to give up the rediculous price Nashville management is gonna be wanting. At best I think MG may offer a roster player (David Booth?) and a top draft pick in this years draft (via trade for Lou).

I could see something like:

To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:
Clarke MacArthur
1st rnd pick 2012

Then,

To Nashville:
David Booth
Toronto's 1st rnd pick 2012

To Vancouver:
Shea Weber

I believe the Toronto deal is plausible. If Vancouver were to acquire a Clarke MacArthur, I feel David Booth would become expendable. No "no trade clause" and he's locked up until 2015. Toronto picks fifth over all. Seeing as how Nashville doesn't have a first round pick at all this year and this draft isn't very deep, a high pick would definately be attractive. Griffin Reinhart would have to look interesting to Nashville (assuming he's still undrafted). But, as I said, Nashville's gonna want the house so I don't see it happening. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to watch MG draft Griffin Reinhardt himself and hope Shea Weber becomes a UFA at the end of next season.

Edited by komodo1970, 11 May 2012 - 01:15 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.