Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Who Else Here Is Sick Of John Tortorella?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 PenguinsCanucks

PenguinsCanucks

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

POPULAR

I don't think this topic title can explain anymore? theres 29 other coaches in the Nhl and hundreds others in pro sports who get asked similar press conference/interview questions and for some reason this guy just acts like a jackass all the time with the media for no reason. Even when your team plays poorly right before, theres no excuse to have the attitude that torts has towards the media. To be honest, it was funny before when he used to do it once in a while and have a little bit of a lashing, but now its just happening on a frequent basis.

Edited by PenguinsCanucks, 10 May 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#2 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

POPULAR

He's just being real. He's an intense coach who speaks his mind.

And you can't really blame him. You know the media...
Posted Image

#3 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

POPULAR

He's just being real. He's an intense coach who speaks his mind.

And you can't really blame him. You know the media...

Most of the questions they ask him are relatively simple. He could easily answer them politely. After all, that's part of the package of being a coach. But he chooses to be an a** every time. A decent coach, but the man's an embarrassment.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,925 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

POPULAR

Then don't listen.

Edited by 250Integra, 10 May 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#5 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

The don't listen.

Exactly. No one forces you to listen to him. Just read the articles usually posted using his quotes.

#6 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have no issue with it. Most media markets will twist words just for a good story and better ratings.

Most of the questions they ask him are relatively simple. He could easily answer them politely. After all, that's part of the package of being a coach. But he chooses to be an a** every time. A decent coach, but the man's an embarrassment.

Since when? Torts may be the biggest offender but quiet a lot of coaches have obnoxious moments with the media.

#7 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

In his situation I would behave in exactly the same manner.

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#8 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

POPULAR

media today just baits everyone for responses. Bad call during the game, hey torts were the refs good tonight? - what do you think the goal is, its not for him to say the refs had no bearing on the game they want someone/anyone to blowup and create a story.

Torts is an emotional guy so he just doesnt answer their stupid questions. Ask him something with some substance and integrity and he will answer it.

just look at luongo's comments last year in the SCF. Hey Luongo what did you think of the winning goal? - "With Thomas's style its a hard save for him and with my style it is much easier." (something like that)

media response: LUONGO DISSES THOMAS SAYS HES BETTER.

there is a reason why a lot of players look like arrogant jerks in interviews its because the get so fed up with the media they just want the interview over.

#9 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

POPULAR

What?

I love him as a coach. Love how he deals with the media. The media is annoying.

Posted Image

#10 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Actually a there are few NFL coaches that talk like that. For the the NHL not to much, but quite a bit in the NFL.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#11 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

POPULAR

the media is annoying for sure, but he has to get over himself. there's no reason to treat people the way he does. they're just doing their job. if all the other coaches can deal with it, so can he. he's not special and he's not better than the people he's talking to. he's just not respectful enough for my likes
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#12 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Actually a there are few NFL coaches that talk like that. For the the NHL not to much, but quite a bit in the NFL.

Heck hockey looks tame compared to other sports. Ozzie Guillen makes Torts look like Saint John.

Edited by Tim Tebow, 10 May 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#13 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,946 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

I couldn't imagine playing for a coach who was that intense but clearly the players like his in-your-face approach

He's overly candid and there's a lot of accountability under his system, which clearly is a good think in pro sports.

I just think that anyone who has that many tantrums and yells that often will lose the attention of the room pretty quick.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#14 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

He has his own personality, I don't see why it's such a bother.. haters gonna hate.
How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#15 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

I couldn't imagine playing for a coach who was that intense but clearly the players like his in-your-face approach

He's overly candid and there's a lot of accountability under his system, which clearly is a good think in pro sports.

I just think that anyone who has that many tantrums and yells that often will lose the attention of the room pretty quick.

It's not much different then having an aggressive personal trainer. The yelling and demanding makes sure the player gives everything they have which then spawns results which gives a feeling of respect.

On the flip side many players may prefer a coach who calls people out. One of the most irritating things to deal with in sports or in any real life team situation is when you feel you are giving 100% into something and your partners or teammates aren't. Under accountable systems like this players don't have to worry about that. Compared to some more passive systems where it's not all that uncommon to see a player often anonymously bash a former teammate for there efforts or priorities and stuff of that nature.

As long as the coach gets results players love that stuff and Torts gets results.

#16 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Nope ... he's probably the only reason a small part of me wants The Rangers in the Finals. He always provides a ton of entertainment value.

Plus I am sure if he was the coach of The Canucks people here would be saying that he is the "best coach ever" and "how awesome he always is".

#17 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,855 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Just wait for Tororell to start pulling out his Ottawagh0st moves :lol:

Posted Image

#18 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Nope ... he's probably the only reason a small part of me wants The Rangers in the Finals. He always provides a ton of entertainment value.

Plus I am sure if he was the coach of The Canucks people here would be saying that he is the "best coach ever" and "how awesome he always is".

If he was the coach of the Canucks, Raymond would never play. Sedins would probably be tough.

Posted Image

#19 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

I think he's quite hilarious and makes a fool out of himself numerous times. It's kinda hilarious. I'm ok with it.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#20 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

Not a fan either, he's a bit whiny and he's a prick to the media. Sure sometimes the reporters might ask a stupid question, but does he have to rip the guy for it? Just give a simple answer and move on. He needs to grow up and stop being such a hothead, at least once the game's over (since I must admit whatever he does in the dressing room is working).

Edited by etsen3, 10 May 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#21 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

its better than the same crap almost every other coach says

#22 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Well he won a cup with Tampa and now hes coaching the Rangers to a potential Conference Final, he'll have no problem staying in the NHL so get used to it or just stop watching his interviews. He used to be quieter until he realized the attention he gets for those types of remarks. So if he does get canned, alot of GM's will be considering him because hes creating all that buzz and keeping himself relevant.

#23 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

Torts rages on the media too often really, but sometimes, they really are all stupid and then it seems a bit more permissible.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#24 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

He's a millionaire coach with a cup ring and a attitude. Bad mix for the media, pretty childish by tortz.

#25 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

At least he doesn't use the word "obviously" every few sentences.
Posted Image

#26 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#27 McMucus

McMucus

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

The best part of this is that if Torts were reading this he really wouldn't care!

#28 nwo

nwo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Torts is awesome! So refreshing to hear real talk from a coach. Him and Lundquist are the only good thing about the Rangers

#29 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

People follow hockey to watch the players play, not to hear some jackass response from the coach. So answer the dam questions like everyone else has to.

#30 TVank15

TVank15

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

I think Tortorella is awesome and a great coach. The media has a way of getting under peoples skin and apparently Torts is finally completely sick of them. Some of the questions asked are beyond stupid, like asking for his reasoning behind calling a timeout after an icing. Well the obvious answer is that his guys were tired and needed a rest, everyone knew it, so why ask him? I would have a short fuse with the media too, especially if I had to deal with their crap every day.

Edited by TVank15, 11 May 2012 - 04:48 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks to 23Qwerty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.