Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Roger Neilson Was The Best Canucks Coach Ever!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Most of you don't remember the 82 er 1982 cup run. The best underdog challenge to win the Stanley Cup
ever. Players like Stan Smyl, Thomas Gradin, Curt Frazer, Harold Snepsts and Tiger Williams played their hearts out inspired by a coach who when the referees turned on the Canucks put a white towel on a
hockey stick and raised it at the referees like a white flag in a war time battle. Next game all the fans brought white towels and they were for sale if you forgot.
Roger Neilson was a coach that inspired his players to compete beyond their abilities. They called him Captain Video because he was at the forefront of using video to analyse the game.
In sporting events across the globe towel power still prevails at sporting events.
If Roger Neilson was our Coach last year and this we would be Stanley Cup champions on our way to a
repeat.

#2 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

#foreveralone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

Most of you don't remember the 82 er 1982 cup run. The best underdog challenge to win the Stanley Cup
ever. Players like Stan Smyl, Thomas Gradin, Curt Frazer, Harold Snepsts and Tiger Williams played their hearts out inspired by a coach who when the referees turned on the Canucks put a white towel on a
hockey stick and raised it at the referees like a white flag in a war time battle. Next game all the fans brought white towels and they were for sale if you forgot.
Roger Neilson was a coach that inspired his players to compete beyond their abilities. They called him Captain Video because he was at the forefront of using video to analyse the game.
In sporting events across the globe towel power still prevails at sporting events.
If Roger Neilson was our Coach last year and this we would be Stanley Cup champions on our way to a
repeat.

Wut? A repeat? And how can you guarantee such things?

Please tell me where you got such wonderful wisdom so that I can use it to change the past!

Edited by Ti'gol Bitties, 11 May 2012 - 10:07 PM.

YkQu3uL.png

Credit to Vintage for the sick sig.

#3 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

I watched history unfold. I have been an avid fan since 1969 when I found out that Vancouver would have an NHL team. I have seen
the best and worst Canuck coaches. The best were Roger Neilson and Pat Quinn. The worst was Bill Laforge. AV and Crawford had
better winning percentages, but they both had really good talent to coach. In 1982 the Canucks barely made the playoffs, the Captain
and best defenseman was out due to injury. Our team resembled the Phoenix Coyotes of this year. Richard Broduer, our goalie played
lights out like Mike Smith or Jonathon Quick. The rest of the team played their hearts out inspired to a large degree by the coach Roger
Neilson. In the end despite overacheiving they ran into the New York Islander dynasty team led by Mike Bossy, Denis Potvin and Bryan
Trottier. Incredible cup run.Too bad you missed it or you wouldn't have posted!

#4 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

av needs to be innovative and start watching game footage in imax 3D
Posted Image

#5 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

I watched history unfold. I have been an avid fan since 1969 when I found out that Vancouver would have an NHL team. I have seen
the best and worst Canuck coaches. The best were Roger Neilson and Pat Quinn. The worst was Bill Laforge. AV and Crawford had
better winning percentages, but they both had really good talent to coach. In 1982 the Canucks barely made the playoffs, the Captain
and best defenseman was out due to injury. Our team resembled the Phoenix Coyotes of this year. Richard Broduer, our goalie played
lights out like Mike Smith or Jonathon Quick. The rest of the team played their hearts out inspired to a large degree by the coach Roger
Neilson. In the end despite overacheiving they ran into the New York Islander dynasty team led by Mike Bossy, Denis Potvin and Bryan

C'mon we had alot of luck back then too. For one the Canucks finished second in a weak Smythe Division and the team was very comfortable making the playoffs since it was the top four teams in each division that made the playoffs . Only the Oilers had a winning record that year.
Do you really think if we played the Oilers instead of the Kings in the second round we would be talking about the cup run of '82? Calgary,L.A,and Chicago all had losing record in the regular season except the Islanders. The Oilers problem was that they were a young talented team that was too cocky for their own good and used that experience to never take a team lightly.
Imo you can't compare that '82 team to the Phoenix Coyotes. They won their Division and they finished above .500 and to top it off every team 1-thru 8 have a .500 or better record.
And Bitties was right !! If Roger was our coach there is no Guarantee we would have the cup by now. If that was the case then Rodger should have won a cup in Toronto who had a better talented team back in the 70's. Sorry AV and Crawford didn't have alot of talented when they first started in Vancouver. You look what AV had to deal with in his first year in 06/07. That team is pretty close to the team of '82. He had to work with an aging popgun offense, and a bunch of pluggers but he had a great goaltender in Luongo. Thats a pretty good coach to win a division with what he had to work with. So you really can't say AV always had the talent here neither did Crawford.
Another thing Pat also coached a very talented team. They're 94 run they barely made the playoffs finishing one game above .500 but they were a team that played mostly inconsistent with the talent they had.

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,802 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

He led them to the finals where they got swept...Where was he to inspire them there?

It was one flukey run led by a hot goaltender, nothing more. What did he do as a coach after that?

Time to stop living in the past. Wins are what matters, and AV is the winningest coach, period.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#7 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

that was back then, this is now- you can't tell the future.

#8 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

Yeah, that's why he has a statue...when they put up the statue of Vigneault it'll be him laughing at Fiddler's Bieksa face.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#9 Pierre's Personal Bubble

Pierre's Personal Bubble

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

My dad went to the first game with the towels, he said it was amazing.
Posted Image

By Luongo the great

#10 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

repeat.

I totally agree with this,reading about the run it was amazing how much he got out of the players he had.Especially Tiger Williams who did not have a good season that yr. :)

10122810.jpg

#11 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

He led them to the finals where they got swept...Where was he to inspire them there?

It was one flukey run led by a hot goaltender, nothing more. What did he do as a coach after that?

Time to stop living in the past. Wins are what matters, and AV is the winningest coach, period.

Did you watch that run? If you did then you are forgetting what Neilson did with the Van defensive game. Yes Brodeur played lights out but look at the goaltending this year. Schneider's stats are still leading playoff goaltending but Van is golfing. Neilson had a complete by-in by his roster and no it was not a fluke that they made it to the finals.

People look at the scores and suggest that the run ended in a 4 - 0 sweep. What they forget is that Van was up in the first 2 games and the Islanders were running scared. This was pretty much the same roster that beat the Oilers the first go around and then had the Oilers come back the next year and take the CUP. The only argument that I could agree with was that Van's lack of depth finally caught up with them in the Islander series and inhuries took their toll.

the '94 and '11 Canucks had more talented and deeper rosters and one could argue should have won. I would suggest that Neilson did more with less and as well as Brodeur played it was the coach who made it happen.

#12 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Roger Neilson was a great coach but the best coach is definately AV. ...at least he is the winningest coach in Canuck history.
The '82 Canucks were a character team with guys like Stan Smyl leading the charge and backed up with a group of guys that would go to the wall for each other. Those were also the days when you hit with reckless abandon (Rome's hit on Horton and Torres hits would have been hailed as the greatest moments of the game), that was the style back then. The Canucks made it to the Stanley Cup by clawing their way there....they hit anything that moved, they took all the crosschecks, played with team toughness and no one touched any of your teammates without retribution. If anyone speed bagged your star, there would be an all out brawl with both team benches emptying....even the goalies got involved. But in the end, the Canucks came up against the big, bad and talented NYI who dispatched the Canucks in 4 straight. The coach didn't have to get the team up for games like those ones....the guys knew they were going to war.
I think it is much harder to coach nowadays when you have to reign in your players and depend on talent instead of braun. If the Canucks were allowed to empty the bench when Marchand speed bagged Daniel, do you think AV would have much problem getting the team ready after that? The players didn't get called for stupid things like spraying a goalie with snow, they got a penalty for pummelling the other guy and usually both combatents were in the box planning another round when they hit the ice again. Anyone and everyone was fair game, if the goalie roamed out of the crease, he got hammered just like any other player out there.
So really, you cannot compare a coaching job now to a coaching job back in the 70's or 80's because the players are not in the 'war zone' mentally and require more talent to win now. It is a much more delicate balancing act from the coach who cannot ask a player to go out there and battle with reckless abandon. He has to get the team to turn the other cheek and play the team game. The game is also a lot more about dollars now which is what motivates a lot of players in todays game.

#13 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Did you watch that run? If you did then you are forgetting what Neilson did with the Van defensive game. Yes Brodeur played lights out but look at the goaltending this year. Schneider's stats are still leading playoff goaltending but Van is golfing. Neilson had a complete by-in by his roster and no it was not a fluke that they made it to the finals.

People look at the scores and suggest that the run ended in a 4 - 0 sweep. What they forget is that Van was up in the first 2 games and the Islanders were running scared. This was pretty much the same roster that beat the Oilers the first go around and then had the Oilers come back the next year and take the CUP. The only argument that I could agree with was that Van's lack of depth finally caught up with them in the Islander series and inhuries took their toll.

the '94 and '11 Canucks had more talented and deeper rosters and one could argue should have won. I would suggest that Neilson did more with less and as well as Brodeur played it was the coach who made it happen.

I agree with most of what you say but the '82 team was a group of guys that did not need much motivation....Neilson just had to turn them lose and let the multitude of leaders on that team go to work. And really that is what the '82 team was....a team of guys with their workboots on for every shift.

#14 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,232 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

wow.... just wow... I can totally imagine Neilson firing up his boys, while A.V will just use the "benching" tactic to punish their guys, I can totally see the difference between Roger Neilson and A.V. A.V probably does have a very effective system in place, he's also very analytical, but he doesn't look some someone that motivates his boys, you either play good under him or play bad. but cmon..... these guys can't be worst then Iron Mike Keenan....

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#15 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

:towel:

#16 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

There was very little a coach could have done to make a difference in game 7 of the 1994 finals Vancouver was outplaying New York and if it wasn't for Lafeyette's shot being off by an inch it would have been a different story.

#17 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

wow.... just wow... I can totally imagine Neilson firing up his boys, while A.V will just use the "benching" tactic to punish their guys, I can totally see the difference between Roger Neilson and A.V. A.V probably does have a very effective system in place, he's also very analytical, but he doesn't look some someone that motivates his boys, you either play good under him or play bad. but cmon..... these guys can't be worst then Iron Mike Keenan....

Totally agree with the Mike Keenan sentiment, he basically ripped the heart out of the franchise.

#18 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,075 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

ever.
Players like Stan Smyl, Thomas Gradin, Curt Frazer, Harold Snepsts and Tiger Williams played their hearts out inspired by a coach who when the referees turned on the Canucks put a white towel on a
repeat.

Not so sure I'd call them underdogs getting to the cup, as the path was cleared for them. It was Chicago and LA that upset the top western teams. Vancouver had to face 5th (Calgary), 8th (LA), and 6th (Chicago) to get to the finals. They didn't have to overachieve as didn't didn't have to beat any superior teams. The Islanders was the only contender they faced and of course they were swept by them.

Don't get me wrong, it was an exciting run to watch. But realistically it was Chicago taking out the 2nd and 3rd seeds) and LA (taking out the 1st place Oilers) that overachieved as underdogs. I knew after the first round the Canucks had a serious chance of making the finals.

The '94 is closer to the underdog overachieving as they actually upset superior teams to get to the finals and took the leagues best team to game 7 in the finals. That's truly the underdog overachieving.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#19 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,075 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Um....the Canucks were 4th in the west in '82 and 7th in the west in '94. All three teams they beat in 82 were lower in the standings while all three teams in 94 were above them. I think your memory is failing you.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#20 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,860 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Best ever loser is still a loser.

That goes for Linden as well.

What's past is past. And 'what if's' are loser excuses. Cheers.

comeundone.gif

#21 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Have to agree with you.

We all love Roger Nielsen don't get me wrong, but the best coach in my opinion the Canucks have ever had is AV. He was known before this year apparently of pressing the right buttons and putting players in roles they could excel. For some reason and im guessing its because Vancouver was out of the Playoffs early this year AV has not very much support.

GM'ing not the problem

Coaching not the problem

Sometimes better teams win, its the way it goes. Doesn't Los Angeles look good this Playoffs.
Posted Image

#22 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,075 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

Have to agree with you.

We all love Roger Nielsen don't get me wrong, but the best coach in my opinion the Canucks have ever had is AV. He was known before this year apparently of pressing the right buttons and putting players in roles they could excel. For some reason and im guessing its because Vancouver was out of the Playoffs early this year AV has not very much support.

GM'ing not the problem

Coaching not the problem

Sometimes better teams win, its the way it goes. Doesn't Los Angeles look good this Playoffs.

Two things lead to a run....staying reasonably healthy and players getting hot at the right time. Every few years an LA happens where a team just gets on a roll at the right time.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#23 ubcanuck

ubcanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

The statue is a little lame...no? Our biggest whining moment and now it is immortalized. Great, thanks Roger.

He was a good nog great coach. He was innovative ative but did we even have a winning season with him? Crawford or AV are our best ever, so far. If not for King Richard we went home in the first round. Also, we did not squeak into the playoffs as we finished about 14 points ahead of LA who upset Edmonton including the come from five goals back win that I think Daryl Evans scored the winner in ot.

82 was fun, I was just finishing at ubc and you could get walk up tickets all year long. I think the playoffs sold out but managed to get to a couple games.

#24 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,232 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Trevor Linden whois who has seen many coaches, said, Marc Crawford is one of the best coaches he's ever played for.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#25 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Trevor Linden whois who has seen many coaches, said, Marc Crawford is one of the best coaches he's ever played for.

...and he's available!! :bigblush:

#26 timmylu1

timmylu1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

im pretty sure AV has the stats to prove this topic wrong!

#27 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

The statue is a little lame...no? Our biggest whining moment and now it is immortalized. Great, thanks Roger.

He was a good nog great coach. He was innovative ative but did we even have a winning season with him? Crawford or AV are our best ever, so far. If not for King Richard we went home in the first round. Also, we did not squeak into the playoffs as we finished about 14 points ahead of LA who upset Edmonton including the come from five goals back win that I think Daryl Evans scored the winner in ot.

82 was fun, I was just finishing at ubc and you could get walk up tickets all year long. I think the playoffs sold out but managed to get to a couple games.

How is that whining?He just did that to protest the reffing in the game.Its the same as any protester carrying a sign in protest.Except he did it in a hockey game.You call it whining,well I call it the freedom of rights.Just because a person makes a statement does not mean its whining.RIP... Roger Neilson.

Edited by NLluvitorleaveit, 13 May 2012 - 10:17 AM.

10122810.jpg

#28 CanuckGuru

CanuckGuru

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

I personally think if Snepsts didn't blow the first game the series would have been completely different.

#29 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

repeat.

Does Roger Neilson have the Mr Miyagi healing abilities too ?
Cause if he did then maybe we could have won last year
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.