The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roger Neilson Was The Best Canucks Coach Ever!

pomorick

Most of you don't remember the 82 er 1982 cup run. The best underdog challenge to win the Stanley Cup

ever. Players like Stan Smyl, Thomas Gradin, Curt Frazer, Harold Snepsts and Tiger Williams played their hearts out inspired by a coach who when the referees turned on the Canucks put a white towel on a

hockey stick and raised it at the referees like a white flag in a war time battle. Next game all the fans brought white towels and they were for sale if you forgot.

Roger Neilson was a coach that inspired his players to compete beyond their abilities. They called him Captain Video because he was at the forefront of using video to analyse the game.

In sporting events across the globe towel power still prevails at sporting events.

If Roger Neilson was our Coach last year and this we would be Stanley Cup champions on our way to a

repeat.

Most of you don't remember the 82 er 1982 cup run. The best underdog challenge to win the Stanley Cup

ever. Players like Stan Smyl, Thomas Gradin, Curt Frazer, Harold Snepsts and Tiger Williams played their hearts out inspired by a coach who when the referees turned on the Canucks put a white towel on a

hockey stick and raised it at the referees like a white flag in a war time battle. Next game all the fans brought white towels and they were for sale if you forgot.

Roger Neilson was a coach that inspired his players to compete beyond their abilities. They called him Captain Video because he was at the forefront of using video to analyse the game.

In sporting events across the globe towel power still prevails at sporting events.

If Roger Neilson was our Coach last year and this we would be Stanley Cup champions on our way to a

repeat.

I watched history unfold. I have been an avid fan since 1969 when I found out that Vancouver would have an NHL team. I have seen

the best and worst Canuck coaches. The best were Roger Neilson and Pat Quinn. The worst was Bill Laforge. AV and Crawford had

better winning percentages, but they both had really good talent to coach. In 1982 the Canucks barely made the playoffs, the Captain

and best defenseman was out due to injury. Our team resembled the Phoenix Coyotes of this year. Richard Broduer, our goalie played

lights out like Mike Smith or Jonathon Quick. The rest of the team played their hearts out inspired to a large degree by the coach Roger

Neilson. In the end despite overacheiving they ran into the New York Islander dynasty team led by Mike Bossy, Denis Potvin and Bryan

Trottier. Incredible cup run.Too bad you missed it or you wouldn't have posted!

I watched history unfold. I have been an avid fan since 1969 when I found out that Vancouver would have an NHL team. I have seen

the best and worst Canuck coaches. The best were Roger Neilson and Pat Quinn. The worst was Bill Laforge. AV and Crawford had

better winning percentages, but they both had really good talent to coach. In 1982 the Canucks barely made the playoffs, the Captain

and best defenseman was out due to injury. Our team resembled the Phoenix Coyotes of this year. Richard Broduer, our goalie played

lights out like Mike Smith or Jonathon Quick. The rest of the team played their hearts out inspired to a large degree by the coach Roger

Neilson. In the end despite overacheiving they ran into the New York Islander dynasty team led by Mike Bossy, Denis Potvin and Bryan

He led them to the finals where they got swept...Where was he to inspire them there?

It was one flukey run led by a hot goaltender, nothing more. What did he do as a coach after that?

Time to stop living in the past. Wins are what matters, and AV is the winningest coach, period.

repeat.

He led them to the finals where they got swept...Where was he to inspire them there?

It was one flukey run led by a hot goaltender, nothing more. What did he do as a coach after that?

Time to stop living in the past. Wins are what matters, and AV is the winningest coach, period.

Roger Neilson was a great coach but the best coach is definately AV. ...at least he is the winningest coach in Canuck history.

The '82 Canucks were a character team with guys like Stan Smyl leading the charge and backed up with a group of guys that would go to the wall for each other. Those were also the days when you hit with reckless abandon (Rome's hit on Horton and Torres hits would have been hailed as the greatest moments of the game), that was the style back then. The Canucks made it to the Stanley Cup by clawing their way there....they hit anything that moved, they took all the crosschecks, played with team toughness and no one touched any of your teammates without retribution. If anyone speed bagged your star, there would be an all out brawl with both team benches emptying....even the goalies got involved. But in the end, the Canucks came up against the big, bad and talented NYI who dispatched the Canucks in 4 straight. The coach didn't have to get the team up for games like those ones....the guys knew they were going to war.

I think it is much harder to coach nowadays when you have to reign in your players and depend on talent instead of braun. If the Canucks were allowed to empty the bench when Marchand speed bagged Daniel, do you think AV would have much problem getting the team ready after that? The players didn't get called for stupid things like spraying a goalie with snow, they got a penalty for pummelling the other guy and usually both combatents were in the box planning another round when they hit the ice again. Anyone and everyone was fair game, if the goalie roamed out of the crease, he got hammered just like any other player out there.

So really, you cannot compare a coaching job now to a coaching job back in the 70's or 80's because the players are not in the 'war zone' mentally and require more talent to win now. It is a much more delicate balancing act from the coach who cannot ask a player to go out there and battle with reckless abandon. He has to get the team to turn the other cheek and play the team game. The game is also a lot more about dollars now which is what motivates a lot of players in todays game.

Did you watch that run? If you did then you are forgetting what Neilson did with the Van defensive game. Yes Brodeur played lights out but look at the goaltending this year. Schneider's stats are still leading playoff goaltending but Van is golfing. Neilson had a complete by-in by his roster and no it was not a fluke that they made it to the finals.

People look at the scores and suggest that the run ended in a 4 - 0 sweep. What they forget is that Van was up in the first 2 games and the Islanders were running scared. This was pretty much the same roster that beat the Oilers the first go around and then had the Oilers come back the next year and take the CUP. The only argument that I could agree with was that Van's lack of depth finally caught up with them in the Islander series and inhuries took their toll.

the '94 and '11 Canucks had more talented and deeper rosters and one could argue should have won. I would suggest that Neilson did more with less and as well as Brodeur played it was the coach who made it happen.

Did you watch that run? If you did then you are forgetting what Neilson did with the Van defensive game. Yes Brodeur played lights out but look at the goaltending this year. Schneider's stats are still leading playoff goaltending but Van is golfing. Neilson had a complete by-in by his roster and no it was not a fluke that they made it to the finals.

People look at the scores and suggest that the run ended in a 4 - 0 sweep. What they forget is that Van was up in the first 2 games and the Islanders were running scared. This was pretty much the same roster that beat the Oilers the first go around and then had the Oilers come back the next year and take the CUP. The only argument that I could agree with was that Van's lack of depth finally caught up with them in the Islander series and inhuries took their toll.

the '94 and '11 Canucks had more talented and deeper rosters and one could argue should have won. I would suggest that Neilson did more with less and as well as Brodeur played it was the coach who made it happen.

wow.... just wow... I can totally imagine Neilson firing up his boys, while A.V will just use the "benching" tactic to punish their guys, I can totally see the difference between Roger Neilson and A.V. A.V probably does have a very effective system in place, he's also very analytical, but he doesn't look some someone that motivates his boys, you either play good under him or play bad. but cmon..... these guys can't be worst then Iron Mike Keenan....

repeat.

Archived