Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Trades Galore, We's Be Shakin' Up The Core

Proposal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

I know these trades are outrageous but I've given a simple analysis to try and make a valid point.

Trade 1:
To New York
Alex Edler

To Vancouver
Marc Staal

Analysis: New York's defence is filled with defensive studs. Edler would provide the Rags with excellent puck movement and a good, hard shot from the point. Edler would improve both their five-on-five play and their league-ranked 23rd-best power play. He is no slouch defensively as well and at times can punish people with his hits. Edler would also free up cap-space for the Rags, and with a lesser buy-out penalty from Chris Drury, expiring contracts, and a rising cap, New York could make another annual splash during free agency. Vancouver gains a big, mobile, and physical shutdown defenseman that's signed for a very good contract at $3.975M for 3 more years.
cap difference of: +725,000

Trade 2:
To Nashville
David Booth
Keith Ballard
1st Round Pick

To Vancouver
Rights to Shea Weber
-> Sign Weber to a 7 year, $49M contract.

Analysis: If Nashville cannot retain Suter it will be extremely difficult to keep Weber next summer when he hits unrestricted free agency. Trading Weber's negotiating rights away now will be better for the organization because of this. Nashville gets a first round pick, a top 6 forward, and a top 4 defenseman that was never given a chance in Vancouver. Booth is a vital asset both for the team and for the organization. Like how they did with Mike Fisher, David Booth can be marketed to the team's fans and become an instant fan favourite. Booth is a very religious person and would fit in perfectly with America's "Bible Belt." Furthermore, Nashville runs on an internal cap, and having a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman signed at reasonable rates long term is more efficient than having 1 player signed for nearly the same amount of money. Vancouver finally gets an elite Norris calibre defenseman that can potentially captain the team once Henrik retires.
Cap Difference of: -1,450,000

Trade 3:
To Detroit
Ryan Kesler
Anton Rodin
2nd Round Pick
6th Round Pick, cause we all know Detroit likes to find gems with them

To Vancouver
Henrik Zetterberg

Analysis: After Rafalski retired last summer it may be Lidstrom's time to do the same. Add that to an aging lineup of Franzen, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk, and a fairly weak prospect pool, and the annual cup contenders are slowly slipping into a slew of early playoff exits. Kesler is four years younger than Zetterberg and is only one year removed from his beastly Selke-winning season. Furthermore, he is a hometown boy and if playing in Detroit he could very well captain the Red Wings in the future. Rodin, a speedy Swede, and the 2nd and 6th round picks will improve their prospect pool. Vancouver gains one of the best all-around players in the game who is more of a constant offensive threat than Kesler.
Cap Difference of: +1,083,333

Trade 4:
To Edmonton
Cory Schneider
4th Round Pick 2012

To Vancouver
Jordan Eberle

Analysis: Edmonton is weakest in their goaltending position. They have some good players on the backend, and young perennial all-stars in Hall and Nugent-Hopkins on forward. They also carry the 1st overall pick, and they can use that to bring in a young defender or another offensively gifted forward to replace the loss of Eberle. Schneider can anchor their team for years to come. Edmonton is a young team, and as such, is still years away from being a really good team. Vancouver gains a young, clutch sniper on a cheap entry level contract.
Cap Difference of +258,333

LINES
1A: Primary Scoring
Daniel ~ Henrik ~ Burrows

1B: Secondary Scoring
Eberle ~ Zetterberg ~ Jensen

3: Tertiary Scoring
Higgins ~ Schroeder ~ Kassian

4: Shutdown
Lapierre ~ Malhotra ~ Hansen

Staal ~ Weber
Hamhuis ~ Bieksa
Alberts ~ Tanev

Luongo
Lack

TOTAL CAP: $59.445M for a 20 man roster.

Room to sign another top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman, but it is highly unlikely that we'll land Parise or Suter through free agency, if they get there that is. With their current playoff success, Parise might stay in New Jersey or go to Minnesota. Suter may make a B-line to Detroit come July 1st if Nashville doesn't re-sign him. After that, it will be a bidding war for scraps.

We could add Shane Doan for 1 year @ $4M or Ray Whitney for 1 year @ $3M, and on the backend we could re-sign Salo for 1 year @ $2M.

Team Analysis
Good young players on entry level contracts allow us to have several higher paid stars in the Twins, Zetterberg, Staal, Weber, and Luongo, and are a key component in cup-winning teams. Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, and Zetterberg will continue to produce offensively for the next 3-5 years. During that time, Eberle, Schroeder, Jensen, and Kassian will develop into effective 1st and 2nd liners. Scoring depth will be key to us winning games. Furthermore, we'll have two shutdown defence pairs that can also chip in offensively. Both Staal and Weber are still relatively young, and will anchor our defence for hopefully a decade. In terms of goaltending, Luongo should have a stellar year with that defence core in front of him, and in a few years time Lack should be ready to take over the reigns.

In conclusion, Vancouver loses fan favourites in Kesler, Edler, and Schneider, big contract players in Booth and Ballard, a young prospect in Rodin and several picks in order to gain an aging superstar in Zetterberg, a young sniper in Eberle, a hometown Norris defenseman in Weber, and a big, physical shutdown defenseman in Staal.

Edited by Blömqvist, 12 May 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#2 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

nononononononoonononononononononon
Posted Image

#3 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

But I love Edler and Kesler. Zetterberg is pretty old and NYR won't do that trade. But I like your ideas, especially te Eberle one, that kid is a flat out stud.
Posted Image

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,246 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

To be honest Eberle is one of the only players I would consider trading Schneider for.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Like every trade except for the Zetterberg one. Might need a bit more to get Weber as well.

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,946 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

#1 is a reasonable hockey type trade, if a bit lateral. I'm not sure there's enough incentive for it to happen.

#2 is where things start to get outrageous, and I don't think Nashville would take that return for Weber.

#3 doesn't improve us so much that we'd have to make that deal, and as mentioned we get older in the process.

#4 is a deal that just isn't plausible, since trades within the division for highly touted players never happen.

To top it all off, there is a lot of roster movement out and in, and that can be tough to develop chemistry on a team that isn't that far off of a deep playoff run.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#7 Paul Bissonnette

Paul Bissonnette

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Would do the 1st one if Edler wants 6m+ next season, otherwise no, Edler>Staal
2nd one, Poile laughs his ass off, and assumes it's a joke
3rd one, Wouldn't do Kesler straight up for Zetterberg, we get older
4th one, This is a huge underpayment by the Canucks, I think they'd want Edler + Schneider to trade Eberle to the Canucks.

#8 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

#1 is a reasonable hockey type trade, if a bit lateral. I'm not sure there's enough incentive for it to happen.

#2 is where things start to get outrageous, and I don't think Nashville would take that return for Weber.

#3 doesn't improve us so much that we'd have to make that deal, and as mentioned we get older in the process.

#4 is a deal that just isn't plausible, since trades within the division for highly touted players never happen.

To top it all off, there is a lot of roster movement out and in, and that can be tough to develop chemistry on a team that isn't that far off of a deep playoff run.

It's not a trade directly for Weber it's for the right to sign Weber if he doesn't want to sign in Nashville.

#9 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,946 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

It's not a trade directly for Weber it's for the right to sign Weber if he doesn't want to sign in Nashville.

The difference between UFA and RFA is pretty big when trading rights. For UFA players, there's very little value compared to the actual player, while RFA players retain pretty much all of their value. Even if they don't sign that team still holds their rights come July 1st versus losing them to free agency.

Sure, an RFA can still get an offer sheet, but the owning team gets the right to match or get compensation for losing the player if they don't. For comparison, Ehrhoff got a return of a 4th as an unsigned UFA, while Kyle Turris got a return of Rundblad and a 2nd as an unsigned RFA. Is that comparable to Booth, Ballard and a 1st for Weber?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#10 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,663 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

lol Schneider isnt worth Eberle

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#11 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

The offer for Weber is a joke, you're basically giving away our scraps and guys who make way more then what they're worth. Nashville can do so much better. The offer for Zetterberg is too much, I might consider zetterberg straight up for Kes and even that's a maybe.

Edited by Super_Canuck, 12 May 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#12 gwarrior

gwarrior

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

1st sign poile is losing it, he makes that trade!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.