The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nicklas Backstrom

After Washington's disappointing end to the season, I was just wondering what do you guys think it would take to get Backstrom out of Washington cause it seems they're in need of a shake-up.

He's the perfect player for Kesler, although he is a center, I was thinking he could play wing. Backstrom isn't the tallest of guys but he makes up for it in weight and ability to not get knocked off the puck. He sort of has that Sedin-esque ability where he is so strong along the boards and just keeps battling through the checking, it's just mesmerizing when he has the puck and the opposition tries to hit him but they end up on the ground. He did come off a concussion but looks very solid since his return.

Here's my proposal:

To Vancouver

Nicklas Backstrom

To Washington

Roberto Luongo

Alex Edler

Before you jump the gun and make up your mind let me explain why I think it works.

We receive an all-star player who hasn't even hit his prime yet and the perfect line mate for Kesler and even the Sedins on the powerplay. Washington in turn finally receives stability between the pipes which they haven't had since Olaf Kolzig. They also receive a smooth skating soon to be elite d-man which they greatly lacked against the speed of the NYR. Cap wise Washington gains a little more cap, but by gaining Luongo they have no use for Vokoun so they could basically let him go. As well as let go of Semin and then take a shot at Parise. Parise in my mind is a better fit in Washington then Backstrom. After all that, the cap just about evens out.

What do you guys think it would take to get Backstrom out of Washington?

Washington's problems is they don't have enough good centres and too many wingers.

Why would Washington trade for Luongo when Holtby did spectacular?

If anything we'd have to trade Booth and Kesler and Schroeder probably to get Backstrom. And really does that add to our team?

Maybe if Rodin and Froshaug were NHL ready

I'd rather trade Kesler, Schroeder and our 1st rounder to Colorado to get Landeskog. He can play either wing, and would look great with the Twins.

Washington's problems is they don't have enough good centres and too many wingers.

If anything we'd have to trade Booth and Kesler and Schroeder probably to get Backstrom. And really does that add to our team?

I'd rather trade Kesler, Schroeder and our 1st rounder to Colorado to get Landeskog. He can play either wing, and would look great with the Twins.

If we wanted Landeskog MG would've traded

Schneider at the draft last year.

As for Backstrom, he would be so sick on the 2nd line and the perfect replacement for Kesler while he's out. But instead of Edler, what about

Booth, Ballard and Rodin along with Luongo? And IF we sign Parise...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Parise - Backstrom - Kesler

If not

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Jensen - Backstrom - Kesler

Holtby was absolutely amazing in the SCP. I don't think they'd want Lu. Also, Caps need more centerman, we would have to trade Kesler + more to get Backstrom. Something like Kesler+Edler+Raymond. Backstrom would be an amazing second liner for us.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Parise-Backstrom-Booth

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Manny-Weise

Crazy!

To Vancouver

Nicklas Backstrom

To Washington

Roberto Luongo

Alex Edler

Before you jump the gun and make up your mind let me explain why I think it works.

We receive an all-star player who hasn't even hit his prime yet and the perfect line mate for Kesler and even the Sedins on the powerplay. Washington in turn finally receives stability between the pipes which they haven't had since Olaf Kolzig. They also receive a smooth skating soon to be elite d-man which they greatly lacked against the speed of the NYR. Cap wise Washington gains a little more cap, but by gaining Luongo they have no use for Vokoun so they could basically let him go. As well as let go of Semin and then take a shot at Parise. Parise in my mind is a better fit in Washington then Backstrom. After all that, the cap just about evens out.

What do you guys think it would take to get Backstrom out of Washington?

washington dosent NEED a goalie, what with holtby and neuvirth, and odds are they were not going to resign vokoun any way. the other problem is you would most likely have to offer up kesler just to get mcphee to even consider dealing backstrom. it would be great to land backstrom, but itll only happen in a prefect world.

Archived