The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time For Kesler To Rise & Succeed The Twins!

Canuck Surfer

Nobody suggested getting rid of anybody (except Raymond :P ), rather playing them with linemates that had significantly better odd's of them matching up physically.

:picard:

Giroux plays with 210 lb (beast) Hartnell & 240 lb Jagr.

Kane is a two way player and has 210lb former Selke candidate Marion Hossa (also a two way player) & 215 lb Andrew Brunette on his line.

St Louis plays with the NHL's absolute best example of a physical specimen Stamkos & 219 lb Ryan Malone, sometimes 201 lb Purcell on PP etcetera.

Dont see any value in your argument at all?

And I suppose Philly should get rid of Giroux, 172lbs, Chicago Kane, 181lbs, and Tampa Martin St Louis, 176lbs.

Booth is on my radar as a guy who could play with the Twins and was next on preferred list. Dont disagree with that view, just 2knd on my list. Like with the Kesler plan, he has growing to do to justify it and different growth if it was the Twins as his linemates.

I also like Purcell, and think your trade suggestion (Purcell, 1st & Brewer) has good value and may fall into the category of the best we can get. Brewer is a viable and serviceable performer who would help. My two key worries are trading for a guy (Purcell) who is UFA in a year & still not getting a premium defender. A focus of not overspending for me on another forward is that we could pursue a premium defender. Once cap is spent, it wont happen. But I might take that deal if it is the best we can do.

I agree that Twins and Burr won't be the line that can lead the team to the Cup. I also think Purcell could be a strong complement for Kes, seeing how he's played with another big, talented center in Vincent Lecavalier. He's also got the hands (both for shooting and passing) to be quite the threat alongside #17.

For line combos though, I'd like to suggest something different:

Danny - Hank - Booth (Kes and Booth are both drive-the-net type players, with less tendency to dish the puck. Danny and Hank, after their showing against the Kings, should be an automatic given how they can immediately feed off each other and create. Booth's bullish energy should provide the sizable, crash-and-bang type winger who can also become a sniper or at least effective scorer on the right side, and Hank can pass to either one of his effective line mates)

Higgins - Kes - Purcell (with the Lu to Tampa rumors, Purcell should be pursued. Hopefully he's broken out for good, and as mentioned he can be quite the effective threat alongside his American line mates Higgins and Kes. I'd be willing to sub out Higgins for Burr as well, as Alex has shown he's capable of playing the high-pressure minutes needed on a scoring line, whereas Higgins, also competent, can also be an effective, big-bodied two-way winger on the third).

Burr - Stoll - Hansen (three strong, two-way players who can elevate their games and play different styles, whether defensive or more free-flowing; I'd love to see this line created one day).

Manny - Lapierre - Bitz/ Kassian

To get Purcell:

To Tampa- Lu, Raymond's rights (they get another winger, with more speed and defensive capability; maybe, if played alongside the big-bodied Ryan Malone and Captain Vinny he can be like David Desharnais in Montreal alongside Pacioretty and Cole)

To Van- Purcell, Brewer, 1st

Nobody suggested getting rid of anybody (except Raymond :P ), rather playing them with linemates that had significantly better odd's of them matching up physically.

:picard:

Giroux plays with 210 lb (beast) Hartnell & 240 lb Jagr.

Kane is a two way player and has 210lb former Selke candidate Marion Hossa (also a two way player) & 215 lb Andrew Brunette on his line.

St Louis plays with the NHL's absolute best example of a physical specimen Stamkos & 219 lb Ryan Malone, sometimes 201 lb Purcell on PP etcetera.

Dont see any value in your argument at all?

According to Bob McKenzie, we could've acquired Jeff Carter in exchange for Roberto Luongo during the summer around draft time. Carter would've added more versatility to the top 6 and we would've never gotten Booth.

Top 6

Daniel-Henrik-Kesler

Higgins-Carter-Burrows

Despite the Carter contract and potential locker room troubles, he would've really boosted the on-ice product.

According to Bob McKenzie, we could've acquired Jeff Carter in exchange for Roberto Luongo during the summer around draft time. Carter would've added more versatility to the top 6 and we would've never gotten Booth.

Top 6

Daniel-Henrik-Kesler

Higgins-Carter-Burrows

Despite the Carter contract and potential locker room troubles, he would've really boosted the on-ice product.

I'm sorry, but Kesler is not the elite player that can lead a team to the Stanley Cup. If players like Parise, Staal, and Backstrom were on our team, they would be the ones leading, Kesler would be in the backseat.

Kesler is a great role player and supporting cast, but he isn't the main event.

1. Kesler could be a great player but he just has to be more consistent, threatening, and most importantly: honest (ergo no diving). Kes had hip surgery last summer and most of the fans, coaching staff, and media are using it as an excuse to explain his severe shortcomings. So here's my big concern: he had his shoulder surgery last week which is another major one, if he proves to be ineffective next season as well, do they also hang it on the surgery that he had in the summer? or do they maybe start thinking about other options? I don't want him traded, I have his jersey, but I got his jersey because he played hard, honest hockey, with integrity and passion. I HATED seeing him deviate from his MO this past post-season.

2. To everyone saying that Jordin Staal is untouchable --> No, he's not in fact untouchable. Malkin and Crosby are. He's always going to be stuck behind them for the rest of his career on the third line if he wants to stay a penguin, and HE doesn't want that. He's looking for a way out.

Irony :sick:

What is ironic is that when we were in our doldrums, in the tank after the trade deadline AV experimented splitting the Twins. Line ups were Daniel with Kess & Booth, Henrik with Lappy & Raymond. AV may have been roasted in CDC by people like yourself. But at the time it got us back on track and we started the win streak that continued even after Danny got hurt.

And we are proposing better help (Higgins and Burrows) than Hank got with Raymond / Lapierre.

Probably better to watch the games & come up with alternatives before chipping in.

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

All you've said is Kesler needs to step up, and then suggested some line combos that AV got roasted for trying out this year (rightfully so, because they didn't work).

Quick, somebody make this guy GM!!

Kes has had a set back but will hopefully make it back to form.

When he does a somersault he is trying.When he is yapping he is involved.

Many players do this,not just Kesler.

The Sedins are franchise players and have been the top scorers for six years and in the running for seven years in a row now.

In 2005/6 Hank tallied 75 points,four less than team leader Naslund at 79 points.

Kesler had 10 goals and 13 assists.

Kesler had 6 goald and 10 assists the next year.

Hank and Dan were 80 + points players.

Love Kes but he is a bulldog with broken appendages.

Hank and Dan are worth the price of admission each and every night.

While i do agree, really good thought out topic. We all know as long as AV is here, those lines won't stay together for longer than a game or two.

Cementing players into certain lines with certain guys is just unrealistic as we know they will be juggled after one bad shift.

WOW! Way too much to read - but read some!

You want this to be Kesler's team. That will never happen. I WONDER - will Kesler ever be the Player he was? TWO MAJOR surgery's - PLAYERS are rarely if ever the same after what he has gone through.

I can only say one thing for certain - he better heal properly and not be allowed to come back early. This past year was a total waste of having him. He should have waited at least another month to heal or longer if need be.

I wonder if Gillis knew Kes had a bum shoulder and still threw Cody,in effect,throwing the season.

If it had not been for Cory and Luo the Nucks would have had a sad record.

I also wonder why Kes was playing all those minutes when they had Cody there to take his spot.

I would say they mismanaged Kesler's injury but then we would have to get back to Cody again.

Gillis is going in circles with his management style.

Archived