The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time For Kesler To Rise & Succeed The Twins!

Canuck Surfer

kes has a long way to go from the nashville series two playoffs ago.

two major injuries aside, he could be as physically healthy as possible but, he'll get nowhere near that kes unless he drops the drama queen attitude.

that kind of "leadership" will kill a team.

I wonder if Gillis knew Kes had a bum shoulder and still threw Cody,in effect,throwing the season.

If it had not been for Cory and Luo the Nucks would have had a sad record.

I also wonder why Kes was playing all those minutes when they had Cody there to take his spot.

I would say they mismanaged Kesler's injury but then we would have to get back to Cody again.

Gillis is going in circles with his management style.

Kesler seemed different this year, not just the hip thing (enough with that already!) but also his demeanor and attitude. He has become a good player over the last few years, but he needs to mature. Bring back beast mode and turn off diva mode!!!!

I don't think anyone can say the Sedin's don't have what it takes to win a cup. Last playoffs they had 22 and 20 points respectively to finish first and third in playoff scoring and were instrumental in the success of last year. The area I noticed was lacking was in their physical game. When things got nasty they all but disappeared. To be fair, however, it wasn't just them. Kesler was invisible, our defense folded and Lou sucked ass in game seven. Everyone knows the playoffs are a whole different animal. To a man, everyone needs to be responsible for their own physical being and push themselves to new levels. So far they haven't been able to do it.

Kesler stated at the year end press conference that he was coming back next year better than ever. I hope he does because we need his edge to return to his game. Pretty much all of last season, he looked apprehensive to get his nose dirty and play the chippy style that makes him so good. That being said, I agree with those that say he needs a play making winger to feed him pucks.

Personally, I really like how Nicholas Jensen is developing. He got 58 pnts with the Generals this year and then went to the Wolves where he scored 6 goals in 8 games. Where ever he goes, he succeeds. I think he is going to get a real serious look at training camp next season and I can see a rookie in our line up. i think he and Kesler would work well together.

The third line should provide the link between the high octane scoring lines and the sheer brute force of the fourth line. Not expected to put up huge numbers, they are expected to put up some offense while being able to shutdown opposing lines. Maxime LaPierre really fits this mold. He showed his skills in his short time with Hennrick. Given a full season with Higgins and Hansen, Lappy could provide a devastating third line that could shut down pretty much every big line in the league. Lappy's super pest abilities should also provide plenty of powerplay opportunities for the top lines to take advantage of.

I, personally, think our fourth line needs work. The fourth line, in my opinion should provide that little bit of fear in the enemy and be ready to destroy at any moment. Vancouver doesn't have that. It is the common opinion, nowadays, that the fourth line needs to provide more than just an ability to bludgeon the enemy into submission. Enter the UFA market. For this I choose Paul Gaustad. A physical force that could be had at a fairly cheap price. He also played with Kassian in Buffalo so is familiar with him and could provide a mentor for the kid. I feel if he anchors the line between Kassian and Weise, this could become a beast to play against. Kassian needs to find some confidence in his physical game and Gaustad could help him with that. Confidence is contagious; Weise could also benefit.

Unfortunately, Manny Malhotra doesn't possess the size to be a physical force and doesn't have the touch to be a top liner so he is relegated to a role player position taking key faceoffs and filling holes where necessary.

One player I could see making an impact is Byron Bitz. He was injured for much of last season and never really had a chance to find his groove. In the few games he did play, I noticed an edge to him. This could definately be an asset to the team should someone end up injured long term.

So here it is:

First deal Roberto Luongo + 1st round pick 2012 + Kevin Connauton to Toronto for Joffrey Lupul + 5th overall pick 2012.

Secondly sign a cheap defenceman with a real physical side to his game.

Sign Paul Gaustad.

Line up:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Lupul - Kesler - Jensen

Higgins - LaPierre - Hansen

Weise - Gaustad - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Ballard/Salo if he returns

Souray - Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Toronto needs a clear #1 goalie. Kevin Connautin is going to be a good defenceman in the NHL and Toronto would still be wanting to pick in the first round. Vancouver gets a player that fits better with Kesler and if Jensen puts in a good showing next year, this line could be awesome.

With the 5th pick, draft Griffin Reinhart (if he's still available). Reinhart would be a sweet defenceman to develop.

There's no spot left for David Booth. I would love to see a deal with Montreal involving D Jarred Tinordi. Tinordi and Reinhart would become the future of our defence.

Sorry, got a little off topic. Kesler's gonna be good to go next season.

Swapping letters is meaningless. Everybody on the team know who the leaders are. And some of them don't sport a letter at all. The only difference between having a C than an A is off the ice. The guy with the C is the primary face of the team. He's typically the guy that reps players with management. On the ice....the only difference is in your head. It's not a "magical letter" after all.

I don't understand why anyone would wanna put the Sedins on separate lines. Yes they are great players even when not playing together. But we have all seen the unfathomable and innate knowledge of where the other is. That would be a terrible thing to break up. They dominated when they played together in the Kings series.

<p>

I wonder if Gillis knew Kes had a bum shoulder and still threw Cody,in effect,throwing the season.

If it had not been for Cory and Luo the Nucks would have had a sad record.

I also wonder why Kes was playing all those minutes when they had Cody there to take his spot.

I would say they mismanaged Kesler's injury but then we would have to get back to Cody again.

Gillis is going in circles with his management style.

Sedins are still better than Kesler. Give it 2 or 3 years and Kesler will be our first line center, but right now he's still not producing anywhere near the same level as the Sedins are.

I can see the twins getting shutdown often, but once they blend into the background as they get older, they could become game-breakers if they're facing 3rd defensive pairings and less attention.

We really needed to keep Hodgson, and he should of stayed, because he will get his fair share of prime ice time with the twins dwindling in a few seasons time and him hitting his prime.

In 5 years time we should of seen this (if the player is traded by then, assume an equivalent, eg. Higgins)

Jensen - Hodgson - Schroeder

Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Sedin - Sedin - Any big forward

plug - plug - plug

Once Kesler starts to decline, we really have no depth at center ice which is where we needed it most. However, in 3 years time from now expect to see this great lineup -

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra (?) - Pinizotto

I've been saying for ages. Split the Sedins from the beginning of the season.

The real season begins in April. You have all year to experiment.

We've all said that Kes needs a playmaker.

His name?.....Daniel Sedin.

Dank is a great passer, he's just a notch below Hank in this regard.

Our top 6 would have a more balanced attack.

I think it would improve the twins as players. I think it would cause

Hank to shoot more also. Versatility is key. Teams would have a pain

with matchups.

Booth Hank Raymond/Hansen (I think Hank could do a better job feeding these 'top 6ers' than Kes)

Dank Kes Burrows

Archived