Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Getting Into Boxing / Kick Boxing & Buying A Speed Bag

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

This is mostly about buying a speed bag, as I've decided I want to do this to cut some body fat, and use it as my main source of cardio.
I saw a everlast 6 piece kit at Canadian tire on sale... Looking into buying it.
First off. How loud are these things? I know they're loud, but am I going to get the entire neighbourhood wanting to kill me?
Secondly, is it difficult to install / will it leave significant damage to a wall?

This is the product:
http://www.canadiant...t.jsp?locale=en
It looks like it was released in the early 70's. Anyone with any knowledge of boxing / speed bags know if I should maybe go a little higher end? Will it be significant for someone who's just using it for cardio, and fun? Not to actually compete?
Thanks.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#2 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

They're not that loud. They make noise, but unless you're doing it outside, it will not be a problem. I am guessing you are setting it up in your garage?

No. And, no. Its a wall mount. When screwing into your dry wall, you will always have marks, but they are easy enough to plaster over.

It looks ok. It should suffice.

#3 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Speed bag alone won't help much if your looking too box/cardio. The 3 years I lived in Vancouver I went to a boxing club called sugarrays. They moved over to granville street, great one on one training 24/7 gym if possible you should check it out.

http://www.sugarrays.ca/
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#4 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Speedbagging as a main source for cardio? Come on, fatty. Buy a bicycle.

s_l_s.gif

burroes.gif

#5 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Well I lift weights as well, and have cardio days at the gym. But would do the speed bag daily.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#6 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

MJoin a boxing or kickboxing club. I used to go to sugarrays and franco's. Helpful people in both places and your back will end up jacked after a year of hardcore training.
I'm currently in the Mendoza F.I.T. Program, would definitely recommend it to you too.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#7 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Speedbagging as a main source for cardio? Come on, fatty. Buy a bicycle.

i see you never trained properly with a speed bag. if you dont want noise you could go with a double end bag, more challenging than a speed bag with a lot less noise

#8 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

MJoin a boxing or kickboxing club. I used to go to sugarrays and franco's. Helpful people in both places and your back will end up jacked after a year of hardcore training.
I'm currently in the Mendoza F.I.T. Program, would definitely recommend it to you too.

doing a normal weight lift routine and shadow boxing get you ripped faster.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.