The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Was The Canucks' Best Trade Ever.

nuckin_futz

******EDIT***** I made a 2nd post below with more trades including the Sedin trade which some were asking about. Figured I'd just add to this 1st post by combining that 2nd one here. Apologies for any confusion. Maybe a mod can just delete the 2nd post.

OK, seeing how the 'worst trade ever' thread generated some decent discussion, let's try one about the best trades in franchise history.

Here are some of the more notable rip offs in Canuck history. Not in order of importance.

1) This one is easily the best in Canuck history and quite possibly in the entire history of the league.

To Vancouver: Markus Naslund

To Pittsburgh: Alek Stojanov

Everyone knows what Naslund did here. As for Stojanov, he managed to play 45 games for Pittsburgh recording 6 points.

2) 1991

To Vancouver: Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Sergio Momesso and Robert Dirk and a 5th round pick

To St Louis: Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher

The 4 Vancouver got all played vital rolls in the team's 1994 playoff run. While Dan Quinn was a headcase and Butcher was near the end of his career.

3) 1987

To Vancouver: Kirk McLean and Greg Adams

To New Jersey: Patrik Sundstom and a 4th round pick.

For as much good as Sundstrom did here, Adams is actually one spot ahead of him on the all time Canuck scoring list. Does anything need to be said about what McLean did in Van?

4) 1998

To Vancouver: Todd Bertuzzi, Brian McCabe and a 3rd round pick (Jarko Ruutu)

To NY Islanders: Trevor Linden

Some people may have a hard time with this one but this was a steal for the Canucks.

Bertuzzi for a time became one of the best power forwards in the game. McCabe was solid and in addition to that was later used as bait to land the 1999 first round pick that landed Vancouver a Sedin.

Linden struggled with the Islanders scoring just 54 points in 107 games before being moved to Montreal.

5) 1980

To Vancouver: Richard Brodeur and a 5th round pick

To NY Islanders: a 5th round pick

Yup, Van switched a higher 5th round pick with the Islanders and got King Richard for free. Brodeur backstopped Vancouver to the 82 finals and was the starter for 7 years.

6) 2001

To Vancouver: Trevor Linden and a 2nd round pick (Denis Grot, yeah I know who???)

To Washington: Van's 1st round pick in 2002 (Boyd Gordon) and a 3rd rounder in 2003.

Linden was moved out during the Messier/Keenen fiasco. Bringing him home just seemed to right a major wrong. Not to mention he played another 6 seasons scoring another 65 goals. While it was Naslund who wore the 'C' during this time we all know who the captain was.

7) 2009

To Vancouver: Christian Ehrhoff

To San Jose: Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi

To be fair to San Jose they needed to dump salary in order to acquire Danny Heatley. Still doesn't make this any less of a rip off as neither White nor Rahimi have ever played a game of professional hockey on this continent.

8) 2006

To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round pick

To Florida: Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld

While everyone loves to make him the whipping boy. Luongo is easily the best goalie in team history.

Bertuzzi was well past his expiry date and needed to be moved after the Steve Moore incident. Forida managed to get a whole 7 games out of Bert before shipping him to Detroit for picks which never materialzed into anything.

9) I'll toss one more in here though it wasn't actually a trade.

Canucks acquire Martin Gelinas off the waiver wire from Quebec. I think the cost for the pick up was either $1000 or $5000.

Gelinas was solid during the 94 run. His best year with the Canucks came in 96-97 when he scored 35 goals and 68 points and was voted team MVP. Sadly he ended up in Mike Keenen's doghouse and was shipped out of town prematurely as he had another 9 productive seasons left in him.

10) 1999

To Vancouver: the pick that became the Daniel Sedin

To Atlanta and the NY Rangers: a flaming bag of poop on their doorstep

1. The wheeling and dealing began when Vancouver sent defenseman Bryan McCabe and a 2000 first-round pick to the Chicago Blackhawks (which became Pavel Vorobiev, who did next to nothing) for the fourth overall pick (which landed with the Rangers and became Brendl)

2. Brian Burke then sent the No. 4 selection and a pair of third-round picks to the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top overall pick.

3. Next, Vancouver sent the top pick to the expansion Atlanta Thrashers for the No. 2 selection and a conditional 2000 third-rounder. The deal was that the Thrashers would take Patrik Stefan, leaving the Canucks to take the Sedins in sequential order.

Not only Did Burke snag the Sedins. He managed to stick the Thrashers with Patrik Stefan at #1 overall and the Rangers with Pavel Brendl at 4th overall. Could you imagine if this wheeling and dealing had backfired and we got stuck with those 2 stiffs? Kudos to Burky for pulling this off.

11)1970

To Vancouver: Andre Boudrias

To St Louis: a 7th and a 9th round pick

Boudrias was great for his 6 seasons with Van. Scoring 78 points one year. Basically got him for free.

12)1983

To Vancouver: Tony Tanti

To Chicago: Curt Fraser

Fraser had a few good years left in him. However, Tanti was one of the only things worth getting excited about for Canuck fans during those lean years. He scored at least 39 goals 5 straight seasons.

13)1988

To Vancouver: Steve Bozek and Paul Reinhart

To Calgary: 3rd round pick (Veli-Pekka Kautonen)

After years of killing us when he was a Flame Reino became a Canuck. He would only play another 2 years but how can you argue with numbers like 114 points in 131 games especially when you consider he was a defenceman. Bozek wasn't exactly chopped liver either. Veli-Pekka who???

14)1990

To Vancouver: Jyrki Lumme

To Montreal: 2nd round pick (Craig Darby)

Lumme manned the point on Van's power play for 8 years. Darby struggled to become an NHL regular.

15)1994

To Vancouver: Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette

To St Louis: rights to Craig Janney

Brown gave Van another big shot on the power play during the 94 run. Hedican was soild for years and though his time in Van was brief Lafayette will always be remembered for ringing one off the post in game 7 of the 94 SCF with Van down by a goal late in the 3rd.

Janney was acquired when an arbitaitor awared him to Van as compensation for the Blues signing Petr Nedved. While many wanted to see this assist machine matched with Pavel Bure. Van got a very decent return for him considering he refused to report.

The Näslund-trade. Hands down.

People are starting to forget just how good he was. But like, we have up nothing and got the best winger in the world.

Edit: I don't understand how people could say that the Erhoff-trade was better than the Näslund... I mean, come on! Erhoff played here for like two seasons. Näslund was our captain for like ten years...

Nice little piece of positivity. You should add a poll though.

If there was a poll, I would vote for #2. Although the Naslund trade is more one-sided in the steal-of-a-deal department, he never took the team to the finals. The Ronning, Coutnall, Momesso, Dirk deal solidified the Canuck core for the next few years and was a huge factor in the '94 run.

Granted, that trade wouldn't have had the same impact without the McLean / Adams deal. And Gelinas was a steal.

I'm surprised you don't have on this list the deal that lined up the draft picks that became Daniel and Henrik.

Nice little piece of positivity. You should add a poll though.

If there was a poll, I would vote for #2. Although the Naslund trade is more one-sided in the steal-of-a-deal department, he never took the team to the finals. The Ronning, Coutnall, Momesso, Dirk deal solidified the Canuck core for the next few years and was a huge factor in the '94 run.

Granted, that trade wouldn't have had the same impact without the McLean / Adams deal. And Gelinas was a steal.

I'm surprised you don't have on this list the deal that lined up the draft picks that became Daniel and Henrik.

Archived