80 replies to this topic

#31 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Naskund trade is one of the best/worst trades in NHL history depending on which team you're a fan of.

Though all the trades Nonis did to get the Sedins is also a brilliant aswell.

Luongo trade is great, but i did not approve of it when it happend, though Bertuzzi never returned to his glory days form, and that's why we "won" that deal.

#32 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,775 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I like the Ronning Courtnall Momesso Dirk deal. Key to us getting to the final in 94.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#33 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

It was clearly the Naslund acquisition... Nothing comes close! Why even ask when its beyond obvious.

You gotta be kidding me. There are at least 6 deals that meant more to the franchise than Naslund!

#34 Pierre's Personal Bubble

Pierre's Personal Bubble

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Add brian burkes wheeling and dealing when he got the picks for the sedins.
Posted Image

By Luongo the great

#35 StenMan.EXE

StenMan.EXE

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Definitely the Naslund trade. The Linden trade with NYI was good when you look at it now, but back then, it was one of the worst ones.
I also like your #2, 3 and 7 trades too (saves me some typing), and i also liked the Tanti/Fraser one later on.

Here's a few that i think people may have missed or overlooked (or not thought of):
To Van: Sami Salo.
To Ott: Peter Schaefer.

While i think Schaefer was good, Salo added quite a bit to the D in the years before the lock-out and a couple after. He's declined a bit in the years, but he's done a lot more then Schaefer ever has.

To Van: Denis Prederson, Brendan Morrison
To NJ: Alex Mogilny

This is another case of "bad trade then, good trade now"... in some opinions anyways. While we lost a lot in Alex Mogilny, we did gain alot in Morrison who was part of the WCE line/era and was one of the best players we had in that time.

To Van: Alex Mogilny, 5th rounder (Todd Norman)
To Buf: Mike Peca, Mike Wilson, 1st rounder (Jay McKee)

Here's one i always like to think of. While the whole re-uniting Bure & Mogilny thing didn't really thrive, for obivous reasons, he still put up 2 damn good first years with us before declining a bit during the 'Messier years'. McKee and Wilson were 2 D-men who didn't do a whole lot in the years/teams they've played on, while Mike Peca won 2 Selke's, along with a few decent years in Buffalo and NYI, but also sat-out the entire 2000-01 season during a contract dispute and suffered numerous injuries and a steady decline after the lock-out.

#36 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Despite giving up a 1st rounder to get Linden back (Honestly I'm sure Washington would have accepted a 2nd rounder).
Linden is the gift that keeps on giving. If we trade Luongo and get one wicked prospect for him. We are still benefiting from the trade over a decade after it happened.

Can't say that about Boyd Gordon. In fact Boyd Gordon's career numbers so far are 108 points. Trevor got us 163 points in six seasons. So it looks like we won that trade too. I'm not sure Gordon is even going to get 163 points for his career, unless he plays more than 4 seasons and can maintain over 20 points a season (Something he's struggled to do).

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 14 May 2012 - 08:35 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#37 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Here's a few that i think people may have missed or overlooked (or not thought of):
To Van: Sami Salo.
To Ott: Peter Schaefer.

While i think Schaefer was good, Salo added quite a bit to the D in the years before the lock-out and a couple after. He's declined a bit in the years, but he's done a lot more then Schaefer ever has.

I could have this totally wrong, but wasn't Schaefer holding out as an RFA at the time, and even played a year in Europe? So the Canucks traded a guy that wasn't playing for them anyways for a guy that would become a mainstay on the blueline for the next decade.
Posted Image

#38 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

I still like how Burke picked up the twins at the draft.
Posted Image

#39 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Ehrhoff trade = not signing Willie Mitchell.

= losing cup
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#40 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Marcus naslund baby! God do I miss him on the ice .i wish it ended with him like linden

Edited by naslund.is.king, 14 May 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#41 xDarklandsx

xDarklandsx

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

From a team/business perspective, I'd have to say the biggest trade has to be the Linden to NYI trade. While this trade was not popular with the fan base, in doing so this trade helped change a financially failing team, who despite being in a hockey-mad city had issues selling out games, traded out it’s skill and/or had conflict issues during the Iron Mike days, to a team who eventually, and probably by no coincidence after Iron Mike was fired, achieved the start of a consecutive sellout record thanks to the skill out on the ice with the offensive powerhouse that emerged from the trade.
Trading Linden for Bertuzzi brought in the best power forward that Vancouver ever had on their roster (Neely wasn't the power forward he was in Boston when he was with Vancouver... had he stayed here then he would win hands-down), a tough hard-nosed dman in McCabe and the comic relief from Ruutu.
This provided a piece of the puzzle, and years of entertainment which helped fill the building, with the emergence of the lamely named ‘West Coast Express’ line - one of the leagues best lines from 2001-2005.
Naslund without Bertuzzi or vice versa might have been a different picture for both players and this team.
Two seasons later McCabe was then part of the puzzle in helping land the Sedins – both of which, five years later has given the team one of the best lines since 2006 and continuing, with the help of an undrafted Burrows.
One trade and its domino effect of following trades helped Vancouver since 2001 develop two of the best #1 lines, consecutively, that lead the league in points and brought the team and fans the entertainment it desperately needed.
Bertuzzi was then a piece that helped land Vancouver (and this is no knock on McLean or Brodeur) the best goalie, to date, this city has had in Luongo...the stats prove it. Excusing his mental lapses, Luongo's record helps support this fact.

This may be where the domino effect stops as I see the Sedins retiring a Canuck and whatever, if it happens, the possible eventual Luongo trade gets the team is unknown. Thanks to the contract $’s and length I am not thinking much will come this way. But who knows, if the comeback is draft picks maybe the Canucks land another gem for the future.

#42 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Ehrhoff trade = not signing Willie Mitchell.

= losing cup

Hamhuis signing = not signing Mitchell.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#43 Wiznac

Wiznac

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

The Luongo trade .... we gave up Burt who was in a slump and needed a change of scenery, a back-up goalie (at best) in Auld and Allen.. for the best goalie this francise has had..... till Schneider

#44 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Best trade never made: bieksa for filatov.

#45 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

TBH I don't remember the trade when it happened but the results could make it the best trade IMO.

to MTL: 1991 2nd (43 overall)
to VAN: Jyrki Lumme

Posted Image
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#46 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

It really needs to be stressed what a major bonanza the deals made to acquire the Sedins were. Just take a look at the 1st round of the 1999 draft .....................

1) Thrashers - Patrik Stefan
2) Canucks - Daniel Sedin
3) Canucks - Henrik Sedin
4) Rangers - Pavel Brendl
5) Islanders - Tim Connolly
6) Predators - Brian Finley
7) Capitals - Kris Beech
8) Islanders - Taylor Pyatt
9) Rangers - Jamie Lundmark
10) Islanders - Branislav Mezei
11) Flames - Oleg Saprykin
12) Panthers - Denis Shvidki
13) Oilers - Jani Rita
14) Sharks - Jeff Jilson
15) Coyotes - Scott Kelman

I could go on but you get the idea. The 1999 draft was full of a lof of players who did a whole lot of nothing. There are only 2 who did become stars and they wear Canucks jerseys. It was a huge steal to land them both. Not only improving your own team but sticking the competition with garbage they would spend years developing before giving up.

#47 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Real best trade never made: Sedins for jokinen

#48 zduck14

zduck14

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I could have this totally wrong, but wasn't Schaefer holding out as an RFA at the time, and even played a year in Europe? So the Canucks traded a guy that wasn't playing for them anyways for a guy that would become a mainstay on the blueline for the next decade.

Schaefer was holding out on the Canucks but Salo was also having trouble coming to an agreement with Ottawa. In swapping the two players, both teams got what they needed at the time. It just happened to work out better for the Canucks in the long run.

#49 gwarrior

gwarrior

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

its gotta be the naslund trade that was the best. although bringing linden home was so sweet.

#50 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Naslund easily. Now only if we were able to sign
Gretzky, and keep the '94 top six...

Bure - Gretzky - Linden
Mogilny - Naslund - Gelinas

Cups, cups, and more cups.

Ah well. F.I.S.H.

I forgot Naslund played centre :picard:

#51 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hamhuis signing = not signing Mitchell.

hamhuis has done more then Ballard and Ballard was supposed to replace ohlund who up until last years injury was still playing good at top 2 d man

#52 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Coho for Kass and Mag !!!!!!!!! This will prove to be a great move.

But best ever Naslund trade for sure
second best Bert for Luo

#53 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Now the worst trades...?

:bigblush:

1zf4oy1.jpg

#54 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Naslund easily. Now only if we were able to sign
Gretzky, and keep the '94 top six...

Bure - Gretzky - Linden
Mogilny - Naslund - Gelinas

Cups, cups, and more cups.

Ah well. F.I.S.H.

Yeah, 'cause Näslund played centre...

#55 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Number 1 and number 8, pretty equal IMHO. :canucks:

#56 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Though all the trades Nonis did to get the Sedins is also a brilliant aswell.

Brian Burke says hi.

#57 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Sending Linden to NYI the best by far. Giving up a 1st to get him back was terrible. Just saying his best days were long gone!

The reason it cost a first with us getting a second in return was because we didn't take all of his salary. Linden had two years left on his contract at $4m and $4.5m. Montreal was still paying $1.5m per year as part of the deal with Washington. In addition Washington agreed to continue to pay $1m per year of Lindens contract in the deal with us. So we only paid $1.5m his first season back and $2m of the last year of his contract. More than half of Lindens salary was paid by Montreal and Washington for two years.
Posted Image

#58 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

What about the trades that got us the sedins in the draft?

This is clearly the best Canuck trade
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#59 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Matt Cooke for Matt Pettinger.

#60 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Sending Linden to NYI the best by far. Giving up a 1st to get him back was terrible. Just saying his best days were long gone!

Totally agree on the first part. Giving up a first to get him back not a bad deal, especially given our drafting record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.