The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Was The Canucks' Best Trade Ever.

nuckin_futz

From a team/business perspective, I'd have to say the biggest trade has to be the Linden to NYI trade. While this trade was not popular with the fan base, in doing so this trade helped change a financially failing team, who despite being in a hockey-mad city had issues selling out games, traded out it’s skill and/or had conflict issues during the Iron Mike days, to a team who eventually, and probably by no coincidence after Iron Mike was fired, achieved the start of a consecutive sellout record thanks to the skill out on the ice with the offensive powerhouse that emerged from the trade.

Trading Linden for Bertuzzi brought in the best power forward that Vancouver ever had on their roster (Neely wasn't the power forward he was in Boston when he was with Vancouver... had he stayed here then he would win hands-down), a tough hard-nosed dman in McCabe and the comic relief from Ruutu.

This provided a piece of the puzzle, and years of entertainment which helped fill the building, with the emergence of the lamely named ‘West Coast Express’ line - one of the leagues best lines from 2001-2005.

Naslund without Bertuzzi or vice versa might have been a different picture for both players and this team.

Two seasons later McCabe was then part of the puzzle in helping land the Sedins – both of which, five years later has given the team one of the best lines since 2006 and continuing, with the help of an undrafted Burrows.

One trade and its domino effect of following trades helped Vancouver since 2001 develop two of the best #1 lines, consecutively, that lead the league in points and brought the team and fans the entertainment it desperately needed.

Bertuzzi was then a piece that helped land Vancouver (and this is no knock on McLean or Brodeur) the best goalie, to date, this city has had in Luongo...the stats prove it. Excusing his mental lapses, Luongo's record helps support this fact.

This may be where the domino effect stops as I see the Sedins retiring a Canuck and whatever, if it happens, the possible eventual Luongo trade gets the team is unknown. Thanks to the contract $’s and length I am not thinking much will come this way. But who knows, if the comeback is draft picks maybe the Canucks land another gem for the future.

It really needs to be stressed what a major bonanza the deals made to acquire the Sedins were. Just take a look at the 1st round of the 1999 draft .....................

1) Thrashers - Patrik Stefan

2) Canucks - Daniel Sedin

3) Canucks - Henrik Sedin

4) Rangers - Pavel Brendl

5) Islanders - Tim Connolly

6) Predators - Brian Finley

7) Capitals - Kris Beech

8) Islanders - Taylor Pyatt

9) Rangers - Jamie Lundmark

10) Islanders - Branislav Mezei

11) Flames - Oleg Saprykin

12) Panthers - Denis Shvidki

13) Oilers - Jani Rita

14) Sharks - Jeff Jilson

15) Coyotes - Scott Kelman

I could go on but you get the idea. The 1999 draft was full of a lof of players who did a whole lot of nothing. There are only 2 who did become stars and they wear Canucks jerseys. It was a huge steal to land them both. Not only improving your own team but sticking the competition with garbage they would spend years developing before giving up.

I could have this totally wrong, but wasn't Schaefer holding out as an RFA at the time, and even played a year in Europe? So the Canucks traded a guy that wasn't playing for them anyways for a guy that would become a mainstay on the blueline for the next decade.

Archived