The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If I Were Mg For A Day... Oh To Dream The Dream

I've been too long under the sun... I've taken a few too many shots to the head and my brain is mush... what ever the excuse for the crazy proposal below it's all probable.

But if I were Mike Gillis for 1 day this coming off season here's what I would do:

1 trade the following players:

bieska & hansen to Montreal for their 3rd overall draft pick

raymond, ballard, & alberts to NYI for their 4th overall draft pick & T Hamonic

luongo to TB for their 10th overall draft pick, Connelly & Purcell

payroll off-set from these is ~24M

2 go after these UFAs:

r. Suter

p. Gaustad

j. Hudler

s. Souray

t. Moen

k. Brodziak

I'm no good with math, but with 24M we should be able to add some of these players.

3 I would not bother offering contracts to these:

Phalson, Rome, Salo, Weise, Bitz, Ebbett

Here's what the line up would look like if all of this were possible:

Forwards

22-33-7

14-JHudler-TPurcel

20-PGaustad-9

TMoen-KBrodziak-40

23-RSuter

2-THamonic

8-SSouray

5-47

Yeah, it's a dream and MG is not the Almighty and the other GMs are not dumb

Bieksa and Hansen for the third overall pick :lol::lol::lol::lol: Sir could you be so kind as to send me a good dose of what you're smoking.

So you're basically giving up nothing besides Bieksa who has more value than anyone you are trading for 3 top 10 picks. So unrealistic.

You are undervaluing prospects and draft picks. In this day and age scouts are greaat at projecting who will be the next big talent in the NHL so high picks and guys like Connolly would be worth players like Kesler, Edler, Burrows, etc.

If you want the 3rd overall pick from Montreal something like Kesler, Hansen, 1st could be a fair offer.

Same thing goes for the NYI pick. If they want Luongo badly he could potentially be a big piece of the trade.

As for your free agents some of them are interesting options.

Guys like Hudler and Brodziak haven't been discussed much on this board. I can't see Hudler doing much than some of the guys we already have but he has shown offensive upside and has been developed in Detroit.

If the Nucks brought Brodziak in on a fair contract to compete for the 3rd line center role, I would be very satisfied.

Souray, though he is old and has been said to have a bad attitude and has mental collapses is a very highly skilled hockey player with a hard shot and can hit hard. He had a solid year in Dallas and if he has the right attitude maybe he would be a good bottom pairing dman.

Nice effort but try not to undervalue other teams assets and realize that guys like Alberts, Raymond, and Ballard are assets that could easily be found elsewhere and don't hold too much trade value.

I've been too long under the sun... I've taken a few too many shots to the head and my brain is mush... what ever the excuse for the crazy proposal below it's all probable.

But if I were Mike Gillis for 1 day this coming off season here's what I would do:

1 trade the following players:

bieska & hansen to Montreal for their 3rd overall draft pick

raymond, ballard, & alberts to NYI for their 4th overall draft pick & T Hamonic

luongo to TB for their 10th overall draft pick, Connelly & Purcell

payroll off-set from these is ~24M

2 go after these UFAs:

r. Suter

p. Gaustad

j. Hudler

s. Souray

t. Moen

k. Brodziak

I'm no good with math, but with 24M we should be able to add some of these players.

3 I would not bother offering contracts to these:

Phalson, Rome, Salo, Weise, Bitz, Ebbett

Here's what the line up would look like if all of this were possible:

Forwards

22-33-7

14-JHudler-TPurcel

20-PGaustad-9

TMoen-KBrodziak-40

23-RSuter

2-THamonic

8-SSouray

5-47