The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oil Prices To Double By 2022, Imf Paper Warns

key2thecup

F*** it.

I'll still pay for it. I love driving and I love my car.

But on a side note, the only reason I support electric cars is so the demand is lowered meaning the gas prices get lowered.

I just think its ridiculous for having the price so high, greedy arses. Oil won't run out anytime soon in our lifetime or in the future after that.

more then a hounded years of relying on gas and we cant find an alternative that would be sufficient for everyone ?

I really find that hard to believe being that everything else seems to be able to evolve

OIl = Gasoline...

But oil is also a lot of other things too:

*Synthetics

- We use petrochemicals in everything it seems. Ink, packaging, clothing, drugs, cleaning agents, FOOD... consumer products of all varieties. It seems that everything you touch is somehow derived from oil.

Your cotton T-Shirt? The dye is likely synthetic.

Your bottle of Happy Planet juice? The bottle still contains hydrocarbons that were distilled out of black gold.

That bottle of beer you just drank? Hops sprayed with lovely pesticides derived from oil.

Your smartphone? You'd better believe that thing is full of oily awesomeness.

That white vinegar you just put on your fries (mercifully cooked in sunflower oil)? Yummy.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

*Necessary for Transporting Goods

- diesel fuel, heavy fuel, jet fuel... I work on a moderately sized freighter transporting 25000 Tonnes of cargo such as grain (i.e. Food). Our estimated fuel usage in ONE DAY is approximately 20 tonnes. To reiterate: TWENTY TONNES of heavy fuel oil a day on average for a ship with about 1/7th the cargo capacity of one of those freighters sitting in English Bay (and that doesn't include diesel fuel for our generators). Despite that, in some circles ships are still considered the most efficient means of transporting some of these goods vs the amount of fuel used.

The point being that if oil prices continue to shoot for heights way beyond anything we've seen before you are going to feel it in a lot more places than just at the gas station. Even if magically we all figured out that we don't really need to drive anywhere there are still plenty of other ways this would bite your wallet. This is a problem that goes way beyond the narrow view most people have.

electric car won't change the price of oil it would do the opposite raise it. Why lower it when you can just raise it to make up for losses? Especially when it seems the new greener option for autos is more expensive with each advancement in technology.

The price of everything that is transported to your local store will go up.

In fact everything but wages will go up.

another way of turning people into either the rich 1% or the poor 99%.

Death to the middle class.

OIl = Gasoline...

But oil is also a lot of other things too:

*Synthetics

- We use petrochemicals in everything it seems. Ink, packaging, clothing, drugs, cleaning agents, FOOD... consumer products of all varieties. It seems that everything you touch is somehow derived from oil.

Your cotton T-Shirt? The dye is likely synthetic.

Your bottle of Happy Planet juice? The bottle still contains hydrocarbons that were distilled out of black gold.

That bottle of beer you just drank? Hops sprayed with lovely pesticides derived from oil.

Your smartphone? You'd better believe that thing is full of oily awesomeness.

That white vinegar you just put on your fries (mercifully cooked in sunflower oil)? Yummy.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

*Necessary for Transporting Goods

- diesel fuel, heavy fuel, jet fuel... I work on a moderately sized freighter transporting 25000 Tonnes of cargo such as grain (i.e. Food). Our estimated fuel usage in ONE DAY is approximately 20 tonnes. To reiterate: TWENTY TONNES of heavy fuel oil a day on average for a ship with about 1/7th the cargo capacity of one of those freighters sitting in English Bay (and that doesn't include diesel fuel for our generators). Despite that, in some circles ships are still considered the most efficient means of transporting some of these goods vs the amount of fuel used.

The point being that if oil prices continue to shoot for heights way beyond anything we've seen before you are going to feel it in a lot more places than just at the gas station. Even if magically we all figured out that we don't really need to drive anywhere there are still plenty of other ways this would bite your wallet. This is a problem that goes way beyond the narrow view most people have.

The prices for supposed demand for oil certainly isn't coming from the west. In fact in the big ol' USA demand for crude was very low.

The issue exacerbating high cost is fiat currency, the fact that the US dollar is losing value rapidly, the loonie is as well but not at such a frenetic pace.

From what I understand, a good chunk of the money behind domestic enviroscare comes from US foundations that appear to want to cripple our energy industry, it gets filtered through Canadian foundations like David Suzuki's so it's harder to connect the dots.

I'll see if I can find some of the articles, I heard about it a few years ago and didn't think much about it but there was something recently that may have had something to do with him resigning from his own foundation.

Gas price increases are actually not out of line with true rate of inflation (blame the Fed).

But weren't we told that our Middle East imperial adventures would help? The oil industry is guilty of some of the most blatant collusion and antitrust laws. Most be nice to have governments in their pockets.

As for any technological breakthroughs bypassing fossil fuels, I'm not holding my breath. It would be suppressed instantly given the money involved in our continued dependence.

Question: Why isn't Canada as rich as Saudi Arabia or the other oil processing countries.

I mean we've got the 2nd most oil in the world...?

Even if we sell off 80% doesn't that mean we should be getting a huge return back?

Archived