The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alain Vigneault's Extension In Vancouver Presumably Completed In The Next Two Weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

emotion is good, and I would agree with you 100%, and I believe that's been a determining factor in their success this post season. They are playing with emotion (though controlled), and their energy level is unmatched in the playoffs thus far, that's why they've been successful.

Agreed,

AV and the Nucks always preach "there is only one way to play" and "if we just do what we have been doing, we will win". WHen it comes to playoffs, this simply doesn't work. Playoff hockey is not regular season hockey. The intensity level and emotion is raised and if you play like you di all season, no matter how successful, you will be destroyed in the playoffs by a team that has found its' groove and raised it's level of compete. Just look at LA against the Nucks and Blues..THe kind of hockey the Kings are playing, is not sustainable for an 82 game season and into the playoffs. New York played hard like that all year and now are out of gas. AV's system is effective in the regular season but he has shown he is unable to get his team to elevate their compete level post-season. THey have had some of the most embarrassing blow-outs in playoff history over the last 3 years where they have been beaten in every way possible on skates in a rink/.

AV's mantra of staying calm and playing the same way whether a win or a loss, only serves to keep the team from playing with the emotion and intensity necessary in the playoffs.

Does everyone forget how much emotion we played with against Chicago the two years we were eliminated by them? How did that turn out for us?

The sad reality is it's acceptable for teams like the Hawks, Kings, and Bruins to play this agressive on the edge style. If the Canucks play the same way, they get called every time. We've seen it time and time again.

The Canucks were out of gas because they played 194 games in the last two seasons, that's all it is. The same thing happened with the Bruins. It was too much to expect them to be able to bring the same intensity they brought last season.

The system and the philosophy is fine. It's amazing what a full summer of rest/training can do.

"I was referring to controlled emotion not the kind of wild and out-of-control stuff we saw against Chicago and in the 1st game against LA this year. Too much or too little with these guys seems to be the only consistent thing. I think that has lots to do with the coach.

Well if AV returns, we will all get to find out for sure. If the Nucks stumble this coming season and exit early, it will be hard to find any more excuses for the lack of success.

Well IMO when you make Henrik Sedin the captain, this is the type of mantra you're going to have like it or not.

There's been lots of cool and calm captains like Henrik though. Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic come to mind.

Too many passengers this season though, and IMO there was no amount of coaching to change the fact that Raymond is a floater, and Booth hasn't learned what it takes to play in the playoffs. Either way, the best thing this team can do this offseason is to trade Raymond. Good regular season player, but he'll never be a playoff performer.

I agree that if this team stumbles, AV is out. But with the same core and some key upgrades this offseason, I like our chances this upcoming season more than the last two seasons. Why? Full offseason of resting/training/healing. More size and toughness on the second line in the form of either Kassian or Jensen. Hopefully a big upgrade on D and therefore our PP. And some consistent goaltending from Schneider.

I just don't get it.

MG needs to go if AV blows it again, which he will do.

Watching the skill slip away because the player doesn't fit the form AV sees fit is becoming painful.

The trades have been awful lately. Like crap, what the hell are you thinking MG signing the ever injured Booth for a longer term, when Samuelsson and Sturm would have walked. There would have been enough cash to make a run for Evander Kane or others.

Anyway, I'm beginning to hate this team and am going to try to get into some WHL.

One of the best offensive teams in the league? It sounds like youre speaking in past tense.

They still have all of those players, AV doesnt need to play a defensive style.

The coaching staff needed desperately to fix their powerplay, not bog the game down with redundant defensive hockey.

This team isnt cut out for that style of game anyways. They have as much speed as any team in the league, why negate that advantage?

You have to be able to play a defensive style in this league now. The Red Wings have been doing it for over 20 years. They can play an offensive style or the trap depending on the style of team they are playing. That's Scotty Bowman's recipe to success.

<p>

I have to disagree with your take on AV's playoff coaching prowess. The fact is, he coached his team to within a game of the Cup last season. Did that happen by some stroke of luck? Only in the mind of an AV hater such as yourself. A rational mind would say that it was a great run, but that the team was just too beat up by the final series to be able to close the deal.

<p>

Watching the Kings in these playoffs relentlessly pursue the puck and pressure the opposition, even when they've had the lead in games, makes me think back to all the games in last years playoffs and what could have been. There were many games last playoffs where the Canucks would suddenly fall back into this passive defensive mode, allowing the opposition to come at them in waves, changing the momentum of the games, and in some cases, the series.To your point, a rational mind might also say that in the first round against Chicago last year, if AV had the team continue to play the same aggressive forechecking style that got them the 3 - 0 series lead, the team could have avoided the additional wear and tear brought on by having to go to overtime in game 7. Yeah, AV got them to within one game of the cup, but one could also argue that it was because of AV's passive defensive game plans during those playoffs that the team had to play all the extra games along the way when they could have avoided all the extra wear and tear by putting teams away earlier.

So you think AV said, "Listen guys, I know we've got a 3-0 lead on these guys with our aggressive play, but now I want you to change the gameplan and take it back a notch."???

I'm pretty certain the game plan was the same, it's just that the players themselves took their foot off the gas. That can be a common response, when you think you're sitting pretty. The reffing was absolute BS as well.

People seem to be glossing over the the shelf life argument. The best coaches as good as they are have a same message. You don't see Hitch switching to an offensive style, when he knows that defense wins championships.

Hitch won a Stanley Cup with Dallas and brought them to the Finals as well, but was let go 2 years later. When was he let go? After 7 years, and the team started to struggle. Only two years after winning the Cup with the Av's, and losing in the first round, and being offered a one year extension, Marc Crawford left the Avs'. Joel Quenneville with St. Louis was on year 8 (A long time for most coaches with one club) when he was fired. Joel then spent 3 seasons with the Av's, then left them to be a scout for Chicago, which lead him a month later to be promoted to head coach.

As others have pointed out. It's easier to get a new coach with a new vision and new message, and hopefully new tactics and being a good teacher to our hockey club. Look at Luongo the past two seasons with a new goalie coach. I can argue he's actually improved the past two seasons as a player. Our new goaltending coach clearly has helped Schneider to become a #1 goalie.

It may not be fair, and it's not always logical. But sometimes a change is needed. Remember New Jersey fired their coach on March 23/ 2000, and Larry Robinson guided the team to a Stanley Cup. To be honest, if we are looking at doing a coaching change. It would be a good idea to do it now. Before Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal grabs a guy that Gillis might be interested in.

1)They likely didn't know he was injured because he probably lied to them. That's the type of player he is. That is all on Kesler.

2)So you think the problem is that the Sedins aren't trying hard enough? If you think that than you don't know them very well as people or as players.

3)Yea I'm sure ownership would be thrilled paying a guy 7 million dollars to ride the pine. Av didn't sign Luongo to that contract, he was just the one forced to play him. And besides, Luongo is a number 1, any coach would play him to have a better chance to win.

4)29 teams don't win the stanley cup each season, does that mean there is 29 incompetant coaches every season? Fans that mock the Canucks for golfing early are leafs, flames and oiler fans. Their teams don't even make the playoffs, so why would you care what their fans think?

5)Scotty Bowman was the greatest coach of all time. To think we're ever going to have a coach near his calibre is wishful thinking.

6)What we do have is a coach that seems to know how to get this team to win. Has he figured out how to do that consistently in the playoffs yet? No, but like an championship team, it's a learning curve at all levels. The worst thing you can do is make changes when your so close to success.

7)This group of players and coaches has been together a long time, and have shown that they can go as far as a team can go. I think they deserve one last shot while everyone's in their prime to see what they can do.

As others have pointed out. It's easier to get a new coach with a new vision and new message, and hopefully new tactics and being a good teacher to our hockey club. Look at Luongo the past two seasons with a new goalie coach. I can argue he's actually improved the past two seasons as a player. Our new goaltending coach clearly has helped Schneider to become a #1 goalie.

It may not be fair, and it's not always logical. But sometimes a change is needed. Remember New Jersey fired their coach on March 23/ 2000, and Larry Robinson guided the team to a Stanley Cup. To be honest, if we are looking at doing a coaching change. It would be a good idea to do it now. Before Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal grabs a guy that Gillis might be interested in.

Archived