The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alain Vigneault's Extension In Vancouver Presumably Completed In The Next Two Weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

MG repeatedly says he wants his team to play offensive hockey but AV is just an afraid-to-lose coach. That MG would sign AV to another contract extension is beyond me as these guys obviously are not on the same page. This team has been hurt when MG kept getting players that AV wouldn't have in the lineups for games. Ballard is an obvious waste of cap space and Kassian would be lucky to be playing on the 4th line on AV's team next season when his only play under AV's coaching would be dumping the puck to the corner.

AV , along with Henrik Sedin, keeps preaching his team will win many 1 goal games in the playoffs and this is one of the main reasons why Vancouver never has that killer bite in games and in series. When Vancouver tries to sit on its one goal leads, it often loses important one goal games. AV should never get credit for the SC run as his team had blown a 2-0 series lead in the final and was one goal away to be the fourth team in history to blow a 3-0 series lead in the Chicago series. Vancouver had such a good team under AV they usually had no problem winning game 1 of most series, but problem always come when the opposition coach makes adjustments in the series while AV is busy chewing gum. AV is outcoached always in the playoffs. History can only repeat itself if AV stays.

All teams that do well in the playoffs have 4th and 3 rd lines that can help either in killing penalties or scoring the occasional goals. For his 6 years in Vancouver, almost all 4th liners AV picked to play carried huge MINUSES. It is sick to watch the Canucks 4th line , if not pinned in their own zone, keep dumping pucks to the corner, hit a player or the end boards and go for a change. The 4th line of AV is always a liability because this is where he keeps his favorite players who cannot play and it will kill Vancouver again. AV basically did nothing in Vancouver as top players like the Sedins, Kesler and the top 4 Ds do not need his coaching while young and less skilled players never develops.

This team is done for next season If the owner and MG do not have the guts to make a coaching change.

The fact is, the Canucks averaged 2.75 g/g after the Boston game. This was down only .19 g/g form the season average. If they had played the entire season at2.75, it still would have left them 10th in league scoring average. Nothing to write home about, but certainly nothing that would have any reasonable person accusing the team of playing "defense-only" hockey.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that the Caucks were able to win 2-0 against St. Louis and then back to back 1-0 games against LA and Colorado, (two teams fighting for their playoff lives at the time) is testament to the team's ability to win any style of game. IMHO, this is a positive reflection on the coaching staff, not a negative one as so many here seem to believe.

To attempt a u-turn in team philosophy like that half way through a season is certifiable imo.

Just because they arent calling as many penalties doesnt mean you should abandon the powerplay altogether, when it was your best advantage by a huge margin over many teams.

There is no sense in the Canucks pretending to play like a team that has no forward talent.

Under Crow the strong defensive game just wasn't there. They were purely a wide open offensive team. The result was the team having difficulty against the heavily defensive minded teams who would burn us with their transition game. Were as under AV's system the team can play a strong defensive style to match those teams and have a higher chance to win by capitalizing with our superior fire power in the transition game. It doesn't always work but it does increase your chances of winning against any style the opposition uses.

There is no u-turn involved. AV has coached a strong defensive game from the time he arrived. He treated young players the same way since he's arrived as well. Particularly the young forwards. The only real difference is that as our offensive talent increased and our two way game has become better, or more offensive as a result. But from Burrows and Kesler to Shirokov and Grabner AV has demoted, benched or scratched young forwards for lazy back checking and poor defensive zone play. Nothing has really changed other than the quality of offensive talent on this team.

As I said, AV is actually following Bowmans recipe for success that has kept the Red Wings a force for 20 years. Under Crow the strong defensive game just wasn't there. They were purely a wide open offensive team. The result was the team having difficulty against the heavily defensive minded teams who would burn us with their transition game. Were as under AV's system the team can play a strong defensive style to match those teams and have a higher chance to win by capitalizing with our superior fire power in the transition game. It doesn't always work but it does increase your chances of winning against any style the opposition uses.

FTR I was glad to see the coaching change from Crawford to Vigneault. I though it was time for a change. As did many Canucks fans at the time.

But you have to give credit where credit is due. Crawford was coach for 6 1/2 seasons. 4 playoffs (vs Vigneault 6 seasons. 5 playoffs). His best chance would have been 2003-04 but Bertuzzi got suspended and 2004-05 but there was a lock-out.

Also I'm thankful Crawford worked Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Raymond, Bieksa, Edler into the line-up for the next coach instead of writing those guys off as not defensively responsible enough, not big enough, not gritty enough, bad attitude, etc...

Not saying Crawford > Vigneault. Just saying Crawford doesn't get enough respect.

Hansen, Raymond and Edler never played under Crow. The Sedins were regulars and Kesler only played one full season under Crow. Bieksa and Burrows were both call-ups with Crow and were played full time under AV. So much for that theory he doesn't like young/rookie players. As a matter of fact Burrows first full season most here were calling him a waste of a roster spot and thought he had something on AV to stay. The notion AV has something against young players is a fallacy. He simple demands defensive responsibility and uses ice time as the message. As the team has gotten better rookies in turn have a tougher time making the team. If their defensive side needs more work they will be doing it in Chicago. Having the best well rounded team is more important than having a rookie on the team simply for the sake of having one here. They still receive development in Chicago after all and the more they get there the better their chance of slipping in and playing well here. Something that many don't seem to get.

Yes, life is a stumble, sometimes a stumble can "work out for you"........Vigneault was a game away from being fired when "the Burrows experiment" succeeded beyond anyones imagination.....especially Vigneault. I hate to say it but I think we would have a cup now. He lost the cup last year by his decisions or at least took away the best chance to win by his handling of Lou.

Ive always believed the trap is a crutch for teams that have mediocre talent. I think If you have those talented players and still play a system where everyone plays defense first I think youre simply putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I think they would be better off if they made more of an effort to extend those very slim one goal advantages like they used to, and kept playing aggressively all game. There is a lot more offense there, we just havent seen it for a while.

Scotty Bowman won Lord Stanley with the talent he had and it did not take him 4,5&6 yrs to do that.Vig has 6 yrs with this group and I still don't see the Silver Chalice here.This team needs a kick-ass coach and hopefully they get one sooooon.

PS.Good on Kesler for answering Vig back through the media and no benching for that.Way 2 go Kesler...Kes showed him the door swings both ways, where the media is concerned. ;)

Scotty Bowman won Lord Stanley with the talent he had and it did not take him 4,5&6 yrs to do that.Vig has 6 yrs with this group and I still don't see the Silver Chalice here.This team needs a kick-ass coach and hopefully they get one sooooon.

PS.Good on Kesler for answering Vig back through the media and no benching for that.Way 2 go Kesler...Kes showed him the door swings both ways, where the media is concerned. ;)

Archived