The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alain Vigneault's Extension In Vancouver Presumably Completed In The Next Two Weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

Well would you not consider Luongo a core player?

I see Gillis trading Luongo for a major prospect, and I could even see him trading Edler if it meant us landing Weber.

I do think he has the gonads actually. If he's willing to offer Sundin 20 million dollars, he's definitely got gonads.

People need to wait to see what moves he makes this summer before they start saying this team is screwed.

Why does MG need the gonads to do that. How'd that work out for Philly? Oh, they lost in Rd 2 while those 2 major players are still playing.

I'm aware it's not as simple as that. But what is good for the Canucks is not as simple as copying what another team does.

Why does MG need the gonads to do that. How'd that work out for Philly? Oh, they lost in Rd 2 while those 2 major players are still playing.

I'm aware it's not as simple as that. But what is good for the Canucks is not as simple as copying what another team does.

Well we basically stood pat and got eliminated 3 rounds earlier....look how standing pat is working out for the flames....no prospects, no trades, core gets older each year...no playoffs...in for a looooooong spell over there.

Here are some coaches out there that are possible replacements for Dale Hunter as well as for Vancouver if you aren't a fan of AV or you think there are better coaches out there:

BOB HARTLEY

Coached the Avs to the Cup in 2000-01; hasn't been behind an NHL bench since the Thrashers fired him after six games in 2007-08. Signed a two-year contract in March of last year with the Swiss league’s ZSC Lions and promptly won the title. “The man wins championships,” former Canucks forward and current ZSC Lions star Jeff Tambellini told ESPN.

MICHEL THERRIEN

Currently working as a scout for Minnesota. Fired as coach of the Penguins in February 2009 with the team struggling to stay in playoff contention less than a year after losing to Detroit in the Cup finals. Doesn’t like when his players play “soff.”

MARC CRAWFORD

Won a Cup as coach of the Avalanche in 1995-96 with Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic; fired by Dallas in 2011 after missing the playoffs for two straight seasons.

RON WILSON

Led Washington to its only Stanley Cup finals appearance in franchise history. Fired in 2002 by his longtime friend, General Manager George McPhee, despite a winning percentage of .540 and two additional (losing) playoff appearances. Has since coached in San Jose and Toronto, and was behind the bench for Team USA’s silver medal in Vanouver in 2010.

PAUL MAURICE

Has been fired twice by Carolina, most recently on Nov. 28, 2011, the same day the Capitals fired Bruce Boudreau.

MIKE KEENAN

Won a Cup with the Rangers in 1993-94 and coached both the Flyers (‘87) and Blackhawks (‘92) to the Cup finals. Has made the playoffs only twice since 1996-97, both first-round losses in his most recent coaching stint with Calgary in ‘08 and ’09. Has worked as a Rangers analyst for MSG Network since the Flames fired him in May 2009.

JAQUES MARTIN

Was behind the bench for Montreal’s stunning seven-game upset of the Presidents’ Trophy winning Caps in the 2009-10 quarterfinals; fired this season with a 13-12-7 record through 32 games.

JON COOPER

The AHL coach of the year led the Tampa Bay affiliate Norfolk Admirals on a 28-game winning streak this season; they will face St. John’s in the Eastern Conference finals Thursday. Of course, Caps have hired two straight coaches with no prior NHL coaching experience and haven’t seen much playoff success, so that alone may make him a long shot. (Random fact: Cooper used to be roommates with former Caps PR director Nate Ewell.)

http://www.washingto...apitals-insider

Well with Bryzgalov in net, they weren't going anwhere anyways.

Brayden Schenn is going to be a star, while Mike Richards has maybe a few good seasons left in him.

It was still a good move even if they didn't have success this season. They have one of the best young cores in the league right now.

Heck why not throw Fred Harbinson in the mix, he just won 42 games in a row and won the Jr A National Championship with the Penticton Vees.

Umm, I am a bigger Vees fan than I am a Canuck fan btw. Thats saying A LOT.

A coaching change is needed big time. Players like AV?? Raymond and Rome for sure. Until this year add in Louongo as AV let him call the shots. Kesler I think not to thrilled given the incident this year. Ballard being a team first guy probably said he liked him, but...

Oh!!! Let's ask Linden!!!

Player development. Shirokov scores first NHL goal and it's a beauty. AV grimances and next game Shirokov scratched. That's player

development.

Calling out Hodgson when he really was injured pretty much destroyed the relationship between the Canucks and Hodgson. Bye, bye

best draft pick since Edler.

AV's success here has come from having a very good core group of players. Previous GMs built that core and Gillis has tweaked a bit.

AV had his shot. His time here is done. Crawford was a great coach here, but his time was done. In the short term AV did well and

moved the team forward, but not fast enough to win a cup before his time was done. Time for a new coach.

LOOK HOW BAD LA IS DOING WITH A NEW COACH!!!! Sometimes a change is needed just because a new start is needed. New

coach and everyone comes to camp trying to win a job and or ice time and maybe time on the powerplay.

Maybe a new coach decides the Sedins should kill penalties to. Maybe they get burned sometimes, but maybe some short handed

goals happen and maybe because the Sedins are involved in the game and competitive they will be more in the game. Often when

short handed the Sedins sit on the bench and become stone cold just watching.

Guest BuckFoston

All the silly "but he is a good coach" comments need to stop. No one said he is a bad coach, he just doesn't work for the team anymore.

So if his contract is indeed extended, say hello to probably another Pres Trophy and good bye to the Cup. Just make peace with the fact that under his coaching there won't be one.

My biggest concern are the no-shows by some of the players in this seasons playoffs...and the sleepwalk leading up to the playoffs.

Losing to an 8th seed is not the big issue (i had LA ranked 3rd in the West at the beginning of the year),what was disturbing was that we did'nt want it as badly as LA did,...so they came into Rogers Arena,and simply took it.

I think MG has a big job on his hands...AV does deserve another shot (how can you fire a coach that has won back to back Presidents Trophy's) but I think he's going to have to rethink the way he puts trust in the leadership group.

No, it's actually not, because everything I said was true...

You're telling me Kesler hasn't been injured every playoffs? Luongo hasn't been inconsistent? The Sedins haven't disappeared at key times?

I don't think you can blame AV for injuries. And I definitely don't think you can blame him for the Sedins getting pushed around and being ineffective.

You can blame him for playing Luongo over Schneider, but as we saw this year, even with Schneider's stellar play in the net, the team couldn't overcome injuries. And the truth is, pretty much every coach would have played Luongo over Schneider whether you believe it or not.

All the silly "but he is a good coach" comments need to stop. No one said he is a bad coach, he just doesn't work for the team anymore.

So if his contract is indeed extended, say hello to probably another Pres Trophy and good bye to the Cup. Just make peace with the fact that under his coaching there won't be one.

This is a coach who let Luongo call the shots season after season until he had to finally take control of who starts when.

This is a coach who is well known to be oblivious as to when to call a time out.

This is a coach who didn't allow lines to find chemistry, instead playing a constant game of musical chairs. Strategy FAIL.

This is a coach who called out our top draft pick and most promising young player lately when he had no need to, and it probably influence the leaving of that pick.

This is a coach who, like he did with Lu, lets the players lead themselves. He's emotionless on the bench and by all accounts, in behind the scenes as well "letting the players work it out" themselves.

^ That's not coaching.

The talent in this town is enough to get where the team has got ... with any coach... and AV is inhibiting the progress by his lack of coaching prowess.

I don't like him anymore.

The only coach who is better on that list is Bob Hartley. And whether or not he is available is another question.

And Crawford and Keenan? Really? How lng have these people been fans of this team? Do we really want to take a giant step back like that with this franchise? Come on!

I won't even go into Maurice, Therrien, or Wilson cause that's gotta be a joke.

Archived