The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alain Vigneault's Extension In Vancouver Presumably Completed In The Next Two Weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

"This player and that player were injured!"

A coach needs to be prepared for that situation, so you hope you go without injuries a whole season or during the playoffs? Not realistic. Many other teams have gone through with players either suspended or injured and carried on through just fine, AV on the other hand cannot put together a line, save the first one, to save his soul. I don't like his "auto-pilot" coaching style either, the coach has to lead and be involved with the players.

I like AV. I think hes done a great job with this team. I dont see anyone better than him out there right now. If there was, they would be working by now. Unless Babcock gets fired from the Wings. I think were good with AV.

Guest BuckFoston

Well on his first Pres Trophy win,he took us to one game away from winning it all......that was less than a year ago.I guess he's lost it,and has completely forgotten how to coach since then.....?...Why dont you tell us who should be the coach.

When we fail in the past 6 years with the same coach... keep trying a 7th time?  After we lost to the 8th seeded team in 5 games?

This is just absolutely ridiculous!  Av should had been fired when we were ousted by the 8th seeded team in such an embarrassing fashion.

Lose in 5 games against the 8th seeded team WITHOUT winning a home game for the fans and get a 3 YEAR EXTENSION!

That's outstanding folks!  Very outstanding.  This team needs a new coach.  It needs change.  It's clear that our window is closing fast... AV has had 6 YEARS that's right 6 YEARS.... It's time to give the players a new coach!  Most importantly THERE MUST BE ACCOUNTABILITY for our early first round playoff exit.

Hopefully this is not true, frankly if failure gets you a contract extension and job security in the Canucks organization, it becomes hard to support them.  All last year I watched the regular season and for what... so we could get ousted in the first round in such a humiliating fashion by the 8th seeded team?

This is just cherry on top giving the coach who failed miserably to motivate the team during stretches of the season, and made little adjustments when scoring became an issue.  This is the same coach that believed a magical switch would appear in the playoffs to get the team going...

Well guess what AV, that switch turned the lights off.... in 5 games.

FIRE AV!

LA isn't really your average or typical 8th seeded team. Had they gotten 3 more PTS in the season they would have been 3rd. I am not saying we did our best, because clearly the guys didn't. Just saying that before you go on about the coach and this year's playoff series you might want to look at the team more than just where they were in the standings.Personally, i think AV should stay this season, and see how he does. If he does good obviously keep him but if he doesn't then get rid of him next year. I mean why are we in a rush to extend his contract now?

I don't understand GMs and the league Philosophy. You can let a player walk to free agency and let him finish his contract, but coaches rarely ends their contracts. I'd say 90% of the time they are fired.

Why can't we just start the season with an unsigned AV (after next year). Let him coach for his contract, let him fight for it (maybe he'll show more emotion and engagement this time). Then if he deserves it after next season then sign an extension.

Otherwise i'm guaranty he'll sign an extension and gets fires during the season if the Canucks starts the season with a .500 record for the first 20 games.

Other examples : Ron Wilson was resigned last year I believe. Bob Hartley was resigned the year he won the division with the Thrashers than 6 games into next seasons he's fired.

I don't get it. Let him run out his contracts. Then decide, otherwise it's a waste of money.

All the silly "but he is a good coach" comments need to stop. No one said he is a bad coach, he just doesn't work for the team anymore.

So if his contract is indeed extended, say hello to probably another Pres Trophy and good bye to the Cup. Just make peace with the fact that under his coaching there won't be one.

Apparently so, since after that his team got almost swept in the first round. Detroit is the only team that has been able to consistently end up in the finals and/or win the Cup every other year. Pens and Devils have also pulled it off a few times. Vancouver is not in that league and will not make it back to the finals as long as AV is on that bench. Quote me on it if it's that big of a deal.

And thank you for failing to comprehend the basic point of my post. I clearly stated that AV is not a bad coach, he just doesn't work with the team anymore. It happens all the time. There are really no horrible coaches in the league, but some thrive with one team and are terrible with another. As if you can't see it with all the firings/hirings this year? Same goes for players. They can have an awful record on one team, get traded and blossom into an all star on another.

If I wanted to tell you who should be coach, I would have already. Armchair gming is one of the most useless things people spend time doing on here and I don't care to participate in the guessing game. What is certain though, is that there is no shortage of coaches available. Just because you don't know if plan B will work out better, doesn't mean you should stick with plan A when it clearly isn't working. It's like people in bad relationships - they stay together because they think this is as good as it may get. They may very well meet another schmuck, or they may meet a great partner. But if you settle for the schmuck you are already with, you deserve everything that comes with it.

Edler: Initially played because the defence was decimated with injuries. Played a reliable game and stayed with the club ever since.

Hansen: Used as a checking/energy winger who can score the odd goal. Plays a reliable two-way game.

Raymond: Can't score if his life depended on it, but plays a reliable two-way game.

The general trend is that AV demands two-way hockey. Unless you're a Sedin or some other generational offensive talent, you won't see ice time under AV's system unless you can backcheck. While it's not the best for bringing up prospects (most need NHL time to round out their defensive game), it's not a bad strategy if you want to win games.

LOL at all the people that think they know what's best for this team. Sorry to break it to you guys, but changing your coach doesn't guarantee success, and the fact is there isn't any better coaches available out there.

People actually think Mark Crawford or Craig MacTavish are better coaches than AV? :lol: There's a reason why no one has offered them a job.

AV has not been the problem contrary to popular belief. The Sedins not stepping up when we need them most, Kesler getting injured and having invisible linemates, the D-core being injured and falling apart, and inconsistent goaltending from Luongo. Until these things are fixed, we're going to have a tough time winning with any coach.

Stop blaming the coach for the players shortcomings.

AV beats all the available coaches that are out there by a country mile, I have the utmost confidence in him and mind you he is the winningest coach in franchise history. He knows his stuff and in order to be successful you must build chemistry, not only the players have to but the coach with the players. I believe they all get along and when it comes down to the times that really matter, it goes both ways but he has proved he can change his strategy for more offence ie. 2011 cup run.

Archived