The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alain Vigneault's Extension In Vancouver Presumably Completed In The Next Two Weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the onus of coaches to hold the players accountable for their play, not "people"?

It does Kesler no good if I get mad at him, or hold him to a certain standard. Now, if AV crawled up his ass about any given misssed assignement or whatever, then he may listen. If he doesn't, then shouldn't we either find someone who will extract the best out of him, or find a way to make AV do so?

Sorry. You and I can sit here all day and say "it's the players fault for not playing hard enough". But we're not going to get through to the players. Because they do not have to listen to us. They do have to listen to the head caoch. Shouldn't AV be the one getting the best out of the Sedins, and Lou and Kesler? I mean, if he's the great coach that everyone says he is, shouldn't he be able to deftly handle the issues you're talking about? I certainly think so.

And if they don't listen, doesn't it make more sense to replace one peice that isn't working than to replace three, or four or six peices?

It is at least a hell of a lot cheaper, if not a hell of a lot less complicated.

Sorry. You and I can sit here all day and say "it's the players fault for not playing hard enough". But we're not going to get through to the players. Because they do not have to listen to us. They do have to listen to the head caoch. Shouldn't AV be the one getting the best out of the Sedins, and Lou and Kesler? I mean, if he's the great coach that everyone says he is, shouldn't he be able to deftly handle the issues you're talking about? I certainly think so.

And if they don't listen, doesn't it make more sense to replace one peice that isn't working than to replace three, or four or six peices?

It is at least a hell of a lot cheaper, if not a hell of a lot less complicated.

Well we're not going to decide if AV gets fired or not, so what's the point of talking about that then either...

Av can help whether or not Kesler gets injured? One of his injuries was caused on fluke play in the WCF, and the other was caused by a hit from Kronwall. Neither of those could have been controlled by AV.

AV can help whether or not the Sedins are strong enough to deal with playoff hockey? No he can't.

Av can help whether or not Lou can make a routine save at a crucial point during the game? Again, no.

Like I said before, it doesn't matter who's standing behind the bench, if Kesler gets injured, the Sedins get out-muscled, and Lou can't make a save. We're not going anywhere until these players figure out how to transfer their regular season play into the playoffs.

NOOOOOOOOO!

Now may I please have my +50?

The fact of the matter is, we don't really know whether or not AV is a good coach. All we can go by is the statistics, and AV's record is literally the best in Canucks history.

AV can decide whether or not to play Kesler 20 a game when he is injured.

The Sedins get outmuscled with Sutter at the helm and he delivers them two brand spanking shiny new a holes.

Schneider can start 75% of the games if AV wants it that way.

These players, and more specifically AV, bringing the regular season game to the playoffs is exaclt why there are Canucks logos with golf clubs where the sticks should be all over the internet, that, btw, I am farking aick of seeing.

And if you think it doesn't matter who's standing behind the bench, tell that to Scotty Bowman, or Marc Crawford or Randy Carlyle or any other man who put his family second year after year after year in an effort to make his team good enough to win it all. I f***ing dare you.

Look. You are smart. And you are not wrong to believe AV should stay. We just disagree, and all I'm trying to do is outline why I think I'm right.

If he stays another year, I will be patient and hope he wins it all with the Canucks. I just want to know one thing. When is it OK to let him go? After the Twins retire? After Kesler is traded? Burrows signs in MTL?

He could win it all next season. So could his replacement.

Why is it so necessary to discuss extensions now? Especially after their playoff performance. MG has catered to AV, and look where it got us. What more is MG to do to get AV bring his team to the Cup, give him more money? Will that do it? You either got it or you don't. No amount of money will make you exceptional or get you in good with the hockey gods. Or does MG function the same way as AV, as long as you're in good with the coach, you're not held accountable. Kind of an ego driven stubborn system with reckless disregard of the outcome. Do you want a team who brings out their best and valued for their merit or a team of people you "like". This is a business, and it needs to be handled accordingly and not about your own personal favouritisms. Do we just want to be a regular season team, or do we want to be a playoff threat. Why don't they wait until closer to the end of his term and see how the year goes, in which case there's no risk of just giving money away down the road. Given the talent of the team and the backings of a first class organization, they shouldn't have any issues acquiring an alternative coach if need be.

TBH AV looks like he's on auto pilot as does the team. Consequently when an obstacle comes his way he doesn't know or simply doesn't react and the team just fumbles their way through it. I think AV and the team need a change of scenery. In a way they are...being on the outside looking in.

I don't know man, no disrespect meant at all but maybe we're just not meeting on the same wave length here.

I can watch a 1-0 nothing win for the Canucks and be happy with the effort and find it an exciting, entertaining game played if the effort is there. Hell, I'm even alright with a loss if it seems hard fought and the boy's gave their all and I only saw that drive a few times this year, it was quite possibly one of the worst, least interesting seasons from any team that I've sat through.

I watched every game on TV this year except 2 and I went to 6 games at Rogers, thankfully one of them was the Leafs game so I actually got to see some goals.

The effort just was not there this year and the constant juggling of lines was annoying as hell, now to be fair sometimes it had to be done due to injury but sometimes it seemed as though it was just being done to be done. The scoring all but dried up after Janruary but they were still winning so there was no urgerncy and no one seemed to care, except me that is. The Canucks were struggling to score a goal and it only get's harder in the playoffs and quite frankly the boy's got lucky a few times and won in the shoot out skills competition.

The perception AV gave the public through the media was that they winning and it was ALL GOOD and we were stupid as fans for saying "oh they're not winning the right way." what a crock that whole thing was.

Time for a change folks, AV is a good coach but it's time for him to go spread false hope somewhere else.

I think this is an excellent post. To be honest I always felt av would excel best as an assistant coach (where we have bowness right now heading the d).

I think the team needs a new voice, and someone a bit tougher on them, mistakes had been repeated all year by some players but because of there stature, av never seemed to bench or correct it.

The most telling sign for me was when he called kesler out for not using his line mates and kesler came back with the if he has a problem he can say that to me. IMO when one of your top players says that without fear, you likely lost the locker room. And yes kesler has an ego but some tougher coaches would have sat him for that.

Bieksa is one example. He played lazy hockey all year, hes very vocal on the team, and i dont think av had benched him once. He called out edler once, but he also could have easily called bieksa out as well, but never did.

With that said there is very little out there that is better right now. But if i was gillis I would do my research and see if i can find one before committing to av.

Fully agree with you. People seems to think if coaches like Mike Babcock aren't available, there aren't "any better options". Nowadays you see a lot of good coaches coming from the AHL.

IMO AV hasn't succeed to motivate his players, and this team has CLEARLY struggled against defensive-teams/trap-teams in the playoffs. He don't even seem to adjust his game-plan even if the team play really bad. It seems to him that it's always just a "bad game". Im definitely not sure he's capable to lead this team to a cup.

AV is a good coach, but it's the old "change v. rest" thing.

If the coach can't change/adapt when needed - and that spans the gamut from in-game to season-to-season - to respond to threats and promote talent/streaks, then he may not be the best fit anymore.

I'm okay with him staying, but a fresh face and strategies would be welcome after this year's disappointment.

Archived