The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alain Vigneault's Extension In Vancouver Presumably Completed In The Next Two Weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

kassian starts in the minors and coach v will remind us about his upside and all the positives related to zach's game...

coach v is a prospect killer, seriously what was wrong with kassian's first 4 games before his minutes plummeted and then dropped to the 4'th line. with some 10-15 meaningless games to close out the season ( president's trophy is overrated ) against weak teams, that was the perfect time to throw zach in and live with his learning curve.

look at other clubs nurturing their youth, building their confidence and accelerating their progress with a low impact on the salary cap too!!! good teams like the canucks must find a way to do this too.

What annoys me about AV is that he shows zero passion. I think most fans would like the coach to go nuts behind the bench sometimes when it's called for. His post-game interviews are always the same crap. Players can get too comfortable with the same coach, AV needs to evolve. Just because he's coach a president team twice and a SCF doesn't mean he's a success.

A great coach will always try to improve. Tbh we went backwards last year in terms of team play. If the games not going your way at least show some passion, that should be instilled in these players by the coach.

I think AV has one more year to get us to the Conference finals at least.

What annoys me about AV is that he shows zero passion. I think most fans would like the coach to go nuts behind the bench sometimes when it's called for. His post-game interviews are always the same crap. Players can get too comfortable with the same coach, AV needs to evolve. Just because he's coach a president team twice and a SCF doesn't mean he's a success.

A great coach will always try to improve. Tbh we went backwards last year in terms of team play. If the games not going your way at least show some passion, that should be instilled in these players by the coach.

For those who use Alain Vigneault's Stanley Cup Final appearance as a reason to keep him, please do recall his close friend, Michel Therrien. Therrien was nominated for the Jack Adams Award in 2007, reached Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2008, was given a three-year contract extension before the 2008-09 season, then was fired mid-season by the Penguins.

The Penguins replaced him with Dan Bylsma, who carried his team to a Stanley Cup championship. Many believe the team reached the Stanley Cup Finals in 2008 in spite of Therrien's coaching. As coach of the Penguins, though, the team had a record of 47-24-11 in 2006-07, and 47-27-8 in 2007-08.

The team fired him and was better off for it. Therrien has not been an NHL coach in three years.

Many here believe Alain Vigneault is preventing this team from succeeding. Like Therrien, he has had a tremendous lineup to work with. He missed the playoffs once, and has not advanced past the second round of the playoffs in four of his six seasons with the team. The team has been a contender to win the Stanley Cup for three to four years now and has steadily been improving, yet Vigneault has failed to guide his team past the same obstacles year after year. He has made numerous mistakes each season and has been outcoached by his opponent in the playoffs every year.

The team requires a coaching change. Likewise, the Buffalo Sabres need a coaching change. How many years must pass before the Sabres' 1999 Stanley Cup Final appearance and Ruff's 2006 Jack Adams Award are no longer relevant?

Av is not a good coach through my eyes plain and simple.All he has done is road the coat tails of a very talented team.Plain and simple to see.Look at the playoffs?... guys I want you to drop pass it every time we come out of our zone,even after Kopitar laughs at us and picks up a freebie.Very narrow minded ,single approach.No dynamics to his coaching style.Constant line juggling no chemistry and instilling no confidence in the players.And seems like a know it all in press conferences and his references to the game.

In the end all he every does is throw players under the bus when he makes horrible choices himself and never takes responsibility for his mistakes.He laughs and giggles when they lose while on the bench.He has shown he has no fury in him to win.

I'm in the same age bracket and see it the same way. It was never about whether AV is or isn't a good coach. The issue is who can get the most out this bunch at the most crucial time. No getting around the fact that coaches have a shelf life. Familiarity breeds contempt. We need a bid of a bad ass who can get the boys to play on edge when it counts.

This franchise has more than enough money to buy him out if that's what it comes to.

I don't like the idea of having a lame duck coach playing out his final year, and I don't think Gillis does either. Coaches will tend to make poor decisions based on pressure if they're playing for a contract.

I say give him a one year extension and if he can't get it done this season, buy his final year out.

(Please don't take this as me calling you out or anything...)

But I've always wondered why this is "common knowledge."

I'd never want a GM in his last year, because of the potential for crazy damage being inflicted on a team's roster in an attempt to cover himself or spite ownership if things are going badly enough.

Why wouldn't a coach be as likely to "coach his ass off" to earn the opportunity to keep coaching in a high profile market?

If there's any parallels between thinking like a coach, and thinking like a player, I'd use Bieksa as an example of someone who steps it up a notch or two during contract years.

MG is an outside-the-box thinking GM, I was hoping he would find a diamond in the rough somewhere like Dan Bylsma. Just because a coach isn't in the NHL yet doesn't mean there aren't options out there. Keeping AV is like spinning your wheels...he's a terrible mid-game adjuster. Same issue my Cowboys have with Jason Garrett...when the going gets tough these coach's do not know how to get momentum back

MG is an outside-the-box thinking GM, I was hoping he would find a diamond in the rough somewhere like Dan Bylsma. Just because a coach isn't in the NHL yet doesn't mean there aren't options out there. Keeping AV is like spinning your wheels...he's a terrible mid-game adjuster. Same issue my Cowboys have with Jason Garrett...when the going gets tough these coach's do not know how to get momentum back

The players are the ones who have to be game changers not the coaches.

People are putting too much ownness on the coach and letting the players off the hook.

Where are the leaders of this team when we need them? The reality is, the Sedins get shutdown too often at crucial points. Kesler gets injured and tries to do everything himself. And Luongo hasn't been able to make the big saves when we need them.

I'm not saying these players can't get it done, but something needs to change with these four players if we ever want to have a chance to win a cup. We need more clutch play from all our guys, period.

Archived