The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Agent Still Resides In Mg

samurai

I am a fan of Gillis and think he has done a good job.

One criticism I have of Gillis that became pretty apparent to me this year is that he tends to oversell or over hype players compared to other GM's. In doing this he seems to set himself up when these guys don't quite fit the sales pitch.

My conclusion is that when he does it, it is the agent side of him trying to make the sell and not realizing as a GM he doesn't no longer have to sell players to us or whoever, and probably hedging a bit more is what he should be doing as a GM.

Gillis is great at hedging but when it comes to players he seems to way over hype them like he no doubt had to when he negotiated contracts. You can fool managers but the fans get a little tired of hearing that we've just acquired or drafted another superstar.

Sundin-before and after he monumentally screwed up he kept spinning it and to this day I hear " Sundin built Kesler and the Twins" .

Yeah,right.Twenty million dollars says Gillis had no idea what he was doing.

Right up until game 3 of the LA series Luongo was the Canucks 'forever' goalie.

If Gillis trades Luo and keeps Cory I am going to drag out all the old Gillis quotes of how he was going to support Luo and help him bring a cup to Vancouver.

Media asks him why he made the trades and he tells them. He's not going to say I think Cody hodgson is going to be an allstar but the coach hates him more than Ballard so I figured I could get a good 4th liner for him.. He's going to tell you what they see in kassian and explain the obvious center dilemma for the armchair GMs that can't seem to grasp it.

If it's the agent in him doing this then let him keep it and find more Tanev players. Free good prospects are the best prospects.

+ it's still early to knock down Gillis and his prospect choices, it sometimes takes a full 4-5 year tenor for one prospect to make a line-up. So in the next 2 years we'll see if Jensen, Connauton, Schroeder, Rodin, Sauve, etc, if they make it to the NHL.

Sundin-before and after he monumentally screwed up he kept spinning it and to this day I hear " Sundin built Kesler and the Twins" .

Yeah,right.Twenty million dollars says Gillis had no idea what he was doing.

You can quote him all you want but It's not his fault that our back up is going to be an amazing goaltender in the future...

Hockey is a business - just because he said he'd stick it with Luongo as long as he played well doesn't mean he actually has too,

he's finding a better player and a better oppurtunity to bring the cup with someone else why wouldn't he do it?

it's a business -

Find all the quotes you want- you build a winning team- everyone makes mistakes.

Messier was suppose to bring us a cup too - we shouldn't have got rid of him.

The third liner in Pahlsson did exactly as GM said he would. All the depth guys were said to be depth since those 4 line guys all get injured easily and they did have some skill , which is what he wanted.

Very few things haven't gone Gillis' way , but that is based on how those players were utilized and their desire to stay here. Then there are also injuries to key players that contribute to the team's demise despite Gillis' display of confidence in this team.

If he oversells all the time, I think the ownership would have realized that , they are business people. They wouldn't have extended his contract.

Pretty sure all GM's will say the positives of a trade/move and avoid the negatives. Not going to say things like,

well with Cody gone, we have less offense on the third line.----> No, he is going to say what he see's in Kassian and what he can bring to the team.....

Archived