The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Agent Still Resides In Mg

samurai

Pretty sure all GM's will say the positives of a trade/move and avoid the negatives. Not going to say things like,

well with Cody gone, we have less offense on the third line.----> No, he is going to say what he see's in Kassian and what he can bring to the team.....

Well as a tendency of Gillis there are a lot. The first one, or at least the first one I noticed was Steve Bernier. Way over hyped by Gillis - was he not. The most recent was Kassian and would toss in Grags. Not saying Kassian will not turn into something better but after watching him play Gillis's presentation of the guy including Grags was clearly stretched. Like most people i was pretty surprised at how just undeveloped or raw these guys were.

Yeah don't forget with Sundin we were according to Gillis getting one of the best players in the world.

Right up until game 3 of the LA series Luongo was the Canucks 'forever' goalie.

If Gillis trades Luo and keeps Cory I am going to drag out all the old Gillis quotes of how he was going to support Luo and help him bring a cup to Vancouver.

Make sure you dig up the ones where you say Sundin built the twins and Kesler.

I fail to see how a quote made in the past in a particular situation (ie. when Lu was the only goalie around) still has any merit today. Times change; Lu and Schnieds are movable.

MG is a great GM and will do what he feels is best. I think that when he signs or drafts a new player he honestly does feel it was the best thing for the Canucks. No one can fault him for that. MG wants to win as badly as every Vancouver fan out there, unfortunately he hasn't been able to find that effective supporting cast to enhance what we already have. I, however, have faith that he will find it.

You are missing the point - being positive and semi-objective is not the same as overselling something. As an agent if you can't oversell then your not going to be very successful. On the flip side as a GM if you are overselling then you are distorting the things. MG is an excellent GM but remember its his first job as one. My point is to say that if you look at some of his weaknesses this is clearly one and its probably derived from his agent background.

George McPhee on signing Vokoun: "It was a heck of a move."

Paul Holmgren on trading for Bryzgalov's rights: "We're trying to get better."

Ken Holland on signing Mike Modano: "We feel Mike Modano can help us."

Brian Burke on signing Tim Connolly: "Top line centers don't always become available."

Glen Sather on signing Wade Redden: "We signed him to make an impact."

Pierre Gauthier on trading for Scott Gomez: "We needed a top line center."

Jim Rutherford on signing Tomas Kaberle: "He's a cup champion top-pairing defender who really helps our team."

These are just a few examples.

Obviously, your assessment of Gillis being unique in this regard is false. Every GM plans for success. Cheers.

TOML

Isn't it the media that likes to spin things? All the GM says are generic statements and then it's the media that creates epic stories out of those generic statements, and then it's the fans that take those partially fabricated stories and translate them into unsubstantiated guesswork and then proceed to rant about it for weeks because we're soooo freakin' bored in this town.

What the hell does that have to do with Gillis being a former agent? Cheers.

TOML

Btw. Why are people still whining about Sundin when they should still be whining about Hodgson?

The best thing about the Sundin signing is that WE signed him. Us instead of NY, Detroit, Pittsburgh or another contender. Believe it or not, that was huge. It showed the rest of the league that we're for real. And it cost us $5mil. Not $10mil. Not $20mil. Just five. Money that was Aquilini's. Not yours. Cheers.

TOML

The contract offer was 20 million and Mats wanted so bad to go to New York that he finally decided to work half a year for half a year's pay and did not even show up the next year.What a hero.Not.

Regards,

NN

The Rangers did not have the cap to fit him in and as the Canucks were willing to pay him a king's ransom he eventually decided to put in half a year here for five schmil.

For ten million dollars a year you get two Luongo's or a Luongo and a Sedin.

Nine goals for five million.Acquilini's must have loved that.

Sundin-before and after he monumentally screwed up he kept spinning it and to this day I hear " Sundin built Kesler and the Twins" .

Yeah,right.Twenty million dollars says Gillis had no idea what he was doing.

Archived