The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Teams Will Be The Big Players This Offseason?

My big 5 teams this off season (NO ORDER)

DETROIT. Loads of cap space and the team seems finally 2 be a risk of missing the playoffs.

CALGARY. Large number Ufa's Combined with the obvious departure of iginla happening sooner then later.

SAN JOSE. One would think management in SJ is very close to a major shakeup.

TORONTO. Burkes time is running out. Will he over pay this offseason in one last effort to finally reach the promise land?

CANUCKS <3 The loss of the SCF combined with a first round exit has many people and fans questioning the core of our entire roster:( on D, offense and in net.

My dark horse the OILERS. Three years of playing like crap has won the oilers a third first overall pick in the draft .

Would love to hear some opinions, I know I follow some teams closer then others.

My top 5 would be Toronto, Detroit, Edmonton, Columbus, Calgary.

I think EDM and CBJ will be active because of their high draft picks and poor seasons. Anaheim and Nashville might be in the mix too if their star players, such as Ryan and Weber, are not part of their teams long term plan.

My top 5 would be Toronto, Detroit, Edmonton, Columbus, Calgary.

I think EDM and CBJ will be active because of their high draft picks and poor seasons. Anaheim and Nashville might be in the mix too if their star players, such as Ryan and Weber, are not part of their teams long term plan.

yea Anaheim will be very interesting !We will see if they believe in their core group of guys who previously got er done.

Ottawa as well will be interesting especially if Daniel leaves do they stay on track with the rebuild or not?

We need to make a lot of changes on our defence. We have to make one in net. The Canucks will be very active, especially after winning 1 playoff game this season.

Ideally I would like to see one of our goalies gone and in return we find a top-3 defenceman to play 20-25 minutes with Edler, then retool our bottom defensive pairing to get bigger and more physical.

At forward I want to see more depth at center, perhaps a skilled top-6 forward (we have enough/too many big powerforwards now) to replace Kesler when he's injured and a backup goalie capable of 20-25 games.

We need to make a lot of changes on our defence. We have to make one in net. The Canucks will be very active, especially after winning 1 playoff game this season.

Ideally I would like to see one of our goalies gone and in return we find a top-3 defenceman to play 20-25 minutes with Edler, then retool our bottom defensive pairing to get bigger and more physical.

At forward I want to see more depth at center, perhaps a skilled top-6 forward (we have enough/too many big powerforwards now) to replace Kesler when he's injured and a backup goalie capable of 20-25 games.

OP, you have this in the wrong forum (should be in the proposals forum with a discussion tag), but I'll play along.

Detroit is famous for not making big moves, but I could see a signing a la the Hossa deal they did recently.

Toronto could make a move, but aren't likely to make more after the moves they made at the deadline this season.

Vancouver obviously will have one significant deal for a goalie, but I'm not sure how much else.

Calgary is possible, but I'm tempted to put them in the same group as Edmonton, Columbus, San Jose, etc. None of those teams had anything significant happen to the management side of things and will likely stick with the majority of their core. They may be in the market for supporting cast however.

Anaheim is on the bubble, they could make a number of deals to shore up their forwards beyond the first line. Nashville may be forced into it if they do lose significant pieces, but if only Suter goes, they'll likely fill from within.

Someone will go after the big UFA names, but I don't see too many major trades happening that would be all that exciting. I expect a number of teams to make minimal moves and try and adjust closer to the trade deadline.

Calgary: don't have much to move

Edmonton: whatever deals they make will be for youth as their timeline is still 2 - 3 years out

Detroit: simply because of the CAP space they have

Vancouver: moving a Louongo is a big deal, probably the biggest

Nashville: Suter moving is another big deal if it happens

SJ: whether the coach goes as a scape goat or someone from their top line, Marleau/Thorton. I wouldn't want either but many teams would.

TO: well we all know the world centers there so any off-season talk has to have the TO BS associated with it. The only significant assets Burkie has are his youth and that is self-defeating. Maybe Lupul but his health history is not solid.

Vancouver, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Anaheim, Nashville

Vancouver has a goalie to deal with as well as support cast issues.

Tampa Bay needs a #1 goalie as well as secondary scoring.

Toronto has too many problems to list.

Anaheim needs support for its stars.

Nashville may be in need of defense as their two big stars don't seem much interested in returning.

vancouver - im not just saying that, this needs more pieces and WE WANT IT NOW!!!

toronto - enough is enough, its beyond pathetic....stop hoping and praying you get good goaltending and pay the price and get some!!!!

detroit - they need to revamp and they have no choice

sj - they haft to make some core changing moves

tb - they are stripped down to the bone and haft to beef up so a busy summer is inevitable

I'm actually not expecting a big summer from the Oilers.

Hall - RNH - Eberle

Hemsky - Gagner - Yakupov

______- Horcoff - Jones

______ - Belanger - ______

Petry - Smid

Whitney - Schultz

_____ - Sutton

Potter

Top 6 is pretty much set. There is room on the left wing of the bottom 6 but I expect Paajarvi and Hartikainen to win jobs next season. Both play the left side. RW on the 4th line most likely goes to Hordichuk or someone similar. I could see Belanger losing his job to Anton Lander if he doesn't bounce back after an awful season.

As for the defense. The bottom pairing could use a complete make over. Sutton is better suited as a 7th Dman. In an ideal world they sign a #1 Dman and bump everyone down the depth chart but that's not realistic. Suter isn't signing in Edmonton and it wouldn't be smart to massively overpay him since Hall and Eberle's contracts are up next season.

Unless someone like Gagner gets traded for a Dman, I don't expect the Oilers to make a lot of noise. Maybe some depth signings and minor upgrades but that's it. Obviously a lot of Oilers fans are hoping Justin Schultz signs in Edmonton.

San Jose might be a big player... simply because the moves they did this past off-season, really messed them up. Their "window" is almost closed and they need to make a run NOW, or blow it all up and start over.

Detroit.. because (as stated before) they have the space and they need a boost (but I think they'll only grab 1 or 2 "names"... could that be the trade Vancouver is looking for?)

Minnesota.. ok... I'll call myself biased on that. They will go after the same 2 big names as everyone else, but you never know... they might land 'em both (and along with the prospects that are expected to make the team... could push them to a solid playoff birth.) Yeah... I know.. a lot of big "IF's" in that.

Nashville ... making it the 2nd round two years in and having a better record than Central Division Powerhouses like Detroit and Chicago, the Preds are sure to continue their heavy trade deadline activity this offseason.

They have a ton of players in Free Agency next season so they have a ton of Flexibility in how they are going to move forward.

Archived