The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time To Get A Real Enforcer

shawn antoski

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Two UFA's that provide toughness with smart play are Paul Gaustad and Brandon Prust. I think a fourth line of Prust, Gaustad and Kassian would be pretty sweet. Gaustad played with Kassian in Buffalo and would provide a mentor to help Kassian gain some confidence in his physical game.

i dont think Kassian is going to be much of a fighter, the coaching staff will not let him they are going to make sure he keeps his emotions in check and learns to play the game first. kinda like how kesler and burrows have been told to focus on there game insted of all the post whistle stuff

Lets face it, ever since we gave up Rypien and O'brian, other teams have been tossing the canucks around like rag dolls. No disrespect too players like Kesler,Burrows,Bieska and Lapierre, they are hard working players that play a physical game , but come on they are not Intimidating at all. The canucks have always had enforcers as far back as I can remember, but now in days I think Bieska might be are toughest player. I miss having guys like Rypien, Hordichuck , Brashear, Odjick, and Shawn Antoski.

I'm not saying lets give up all are skill for a goon but i wouldnt mind a fighter as a 4th liner or a 6th dman

edit: responding to the most popular post

Posted A minute ago

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=10651470">snapback.pnggoalie13, on 15 May 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

So who are the enforces contributing in the Stanley Cup playoffs right now?

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=10651547">snapback.pngSnake Doctor, on 15 May 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

EXACTLY

2012 playoffs so far 39 fights or major penalties

2011 playoffs 29 fights or majors through out the whole playoffs

2010 playoffs 23 fights or majors all together

team toughness, intimidation and enforcers are needed.

NYR didnt get John Scott for no reason

NJ has Boultan and Jannsen

PHO has Bissonettee

LA has Clifford and fraser

Vans enforcers this year were Ballard Volpaati Lappy and Weise.... that pretty sad when it come to intimidating tough guys :picard:

heres a little interesting fact about teams that made the playoffs and teams that didnt when it comes to overall team size

Biggest teams in NHL (average weight):

Washington (209.5)

LA (209.3)

Ottawa (208.1)

San Jose (207.5)

Phoenix (207.0)

Smallest teams in NHL

Buffalo (197.4)

Dallas (199.3)

New York Islanders-Pittsburgh Penguins (200.8)

Carolina (201.1)

Probably the best UFA enforcer would be Carkner and he can actually play somewhat i wouldnt mind if Gillis signed him in Romes spot. Id prefer if he went after hard to sign Prust he's exactly the toughness the Nucks need and is very serviceable and also try to sign Tootoo or Moen. We need toughness that can play quality minutes.

well our tough guy Bitz got suspended so I don't know if that's what you are/were looking for?!

Dustin Brown and Brian Boyle (I think?) are this years Ryan Kesler. grit, scoring, annoying pests and defensive aware and getting opponents off their game.

that was missing this year IMO. we had absolutely no one playing ABOVE his average

Who are the current "enforcers" leading their teams in the playoffs that are left? How many fights does Clifford or Fraser have? How about anybody on Phoenix? Boulton and Janssen don't even play in the playoffs for New Jersey. Real big impact there...

The only players you could even remotely call "enforcers" who are left are Brandon Prust and Mike Rupp. Rupp plays under 3 minutes a game. He doesn't do much of anything for his team. Prust is an overall solid player who does much more for his team.

The way of the enforcer is dead. I agree you need big, tough players to succeed in the NHL now. But more importantly, like Prust and unlike Rupp, Boulton and Janssen, you have to be able to play.

Missing in this entire analysis is the critical piece of information that the whole thread is banking on. What is the canucks average weight now?

In addition, look at the mode weight of the kings. That will tell us if the majority of their guys are just normal (with a few big guys raising the average), or if the majority of their guys are big. The latter we would have to blow up our team, the former, we can actually work with.

I'm for getting a tough guy and big body, but I do not want to see guys that only play the physical game. You want something that Detroit, LA and (as much as i hate to admit it) Boston have and that is big guys that can hit but they are also very capable and some of the players they have are expected to bring offense.

If we can get someone like Bertuzzi (back in his prime/WCE era) I would be happy. That is one reason I am excited about Kassian's development, the Sedins themselves said that Kassian reminded them of Bertuzzi in his(kassian) first few games with the Canucks.

I wouldn't be against a player that was trotted out once every 4 or 5 games to put the fear of God into anyone who decides they want to take liberties on our star players.

Its not about the player actually stopping the play from happening (IE. blocking the elbow to Danny's head) its about seeing that player on the bench and thinking "maybe smashing a Sedin with my elbow isn't such a hot idea after all"

i dont think you have played any organised sports, its call an intimidation factor, with these guys out on the ice or on the bench, opposing players dont take liberties because they know there is someone to answer too. all im saying is you need a enforcer are on the roster ,If games start to get chippy and dirty they can be thrown in during the series to keep everyone in check

The Canucks don't need a goon. Teams these days are far too talented when they roll their lines that you can't afford to have a guy out there solely for the purpose of intimidating or fighting.

As others have said in this thread, you need a player that still has some offensive threat.

Someone has probably thrown this name out there before but the player I would love to see on the Canucks is Dustin Byfuglien. He can play defense, he can play the wing and he's like 6'5 and 285 lbs. I don't think they need someone to just be a goon, but they do need to add someone with size who has some depth.

Archived