The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time To Get A Real Enforcer

shawn antoski

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone has probably thrown this name out there before but the player I would love to see on the Canucks is Dustin Byfuglien. He can play defense, he can play the wing and he's like 6'5 and 285 lbs. I don't think they need someone to just be a goon, but they do need to add someone with size who has some depth.

My Take on the Matter is:

So long as we have a team of Non-Combatants, that will not retaliate when dirt is handed out to them ( Sedins, Edler, Hansen, Raymond, Pahlsson, Malhotra, Salo, etc)

We better have a deterent on our Roster, so as to help minimize injury to our top skaters.

Every year our demise boils down to INURIES.

We NEED a DETERENT so opposing players are not at Liberty to run our guys !!!!

did you hear that.............. A DETERENT................

Not a goon, But some scary bug guy that can actually skate and contribute, that will PROTECT our NON-COMBATANTS

its not just about an enforcer its about intimidating players like bertuzzi lucic and boyle and guys that can fight and play the game like Prust,

heres a little interesting fact about teams that made the playoffs and teams that didnt when it comes to overall team size

Biggest (average weight):

Washington (209.5)

LA (209.3)

Ottawa (208.1)

San Jose (207.5)

Phoenix (207.0)

Smallest:

Buffalo (197.4)

Dallas (199.3)

New York Islanders (200.8)

Carolina (201.1)

We don't need an enforcer. We need toughness throughout the lineup to compliment our skilled guys. It's still an issue that we struggle with, although we had other issues this year. Look at the LA Kings and why they are dominating this year. Brown, Richards, King, Stoll, Penner, Nolan, all who are gritty guys who can play.

Actually. You are correct.

MENTAL toughness.

Too many guys on this team are soft between the ears.

This truth was exposed to the entire world against the Bruins in the SCF. Now it's out there and everyone knows it.

Gillis needs to address this in the off season or he should lose his job. It's the single most important aspect this team lacks. Mental fortitude. aka loosely as "toughness"

We don't need an enforcer, or one player to be that. We need a TEAM THAT WILL STICK UP FOR EACH OTHER AND ITSELF.

As close as this team says they are, you have to wonder if they really are at all? Sedin gets used as punching bag by Marchand. ZERO response.

Sedin gets rammed into boards from behind by LA. ZERO response.

TANEV rammed into boards from behind last year. ZERO response.

ROME by Malkin (same...) ZERO response.

Luongo elbowed in the head by Byfuglian. ZERO response.

Daniel gets blatantly knocked out by Keiths flying elbow - ZERO RESPONSE!

This has gone on for freakin YEARS now and I'm sick of it. Add the diving and whining to that and it's no wonder people hate this team. As good as they are, they are equally pathetic and it needs to change.

we don't need an all out enforcer like a john scott or boogaard, we need a guy like Chris Neil or someone similar who has no problem stepping up and dropping the gloves but can also put the puck in the net at times.

Yes we need an enforcer, the regular season is a long grind. As for those saying we don't need one and reference the playoffs?? Really WTF are you thinking..You have a 23 man roster for a reason, your enforcer is not going to play every night nor does he and when the playoffs role around his ass is parked in the press box.

I am so sick and tired of seeing this team get pushed around. Yes it doesn't happen every game but there will always be those 3-5 games a season all hell runs loose.

Yes we need an enforcer, the regular season is a long grind. As for those saying we don't need one and reference the playoffs?? Really WTF are you thinking..You have a 23 man roster for a reason, your enforcer is not going to play every night nor does he and when the playoffs role around his ass is parked in the press box.

I am so sick and tired of seeing this team get pushed around. Yes it doesn't happen every game but there will always be those 3-5 games a season all hell runs loose.

I would take Chris Neil in a heartbeat. Cand he be had? That is the question. There aren't really a lot of guys like him. yes, there are a few, but how do you get those guys? I'd actually like to have two of those guys. One to play on the bottom 6 and one to play with the twins.

Its not going to be one pugilist that gets the team going, its called team toughness...something the Canucks need to learn...stop diving, stop looking for calls, put your head down suck it up and take a punch if needed.

Teams dont win with one enforcer, its a whole team as a whole with team Toughness that wins games, where they can grind, hit, intimidate AS A WHOLE...something called team effort. Yea i hate boston and etc they bully teams around but thats because they do it by committee. call if w/e you want but their team is not full of goons. There team is fulll of players who are legitly tough who can also play the game. Thats what the Canucks need. Someone who can answer the bell and player meaningful minutes in a hockey game, not scrub 3-4 minutes just to patrol and take retarded penalties.

Everyone needs to buy into the system, but of course AV has built a team full of softies who aren't willing to take a hit or some contact to make the play. The WCE, the years before with the Canucks they were team tough through committee where everyone looked out for each others back and stood up even if they weren't fighters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCG9fvdSYY&feature=fvwrel

I know the era is different now where skill reigns but for goodness sake Trevor Linden, Alex Mogilny, Matthias Ohlund and even Markus Naslund got themselves down and dirty even with the toughness MF like Rob Ray.

The team we have now, say they are tight and have each others backs and w/e but honeslty i dont see that enough...its not one legitimate fighter that settles the score, its going to be by committee that does that. and for now and so far we lack that committee and family bond. We need players who can play the game of hockey itself and who are not scared to get roughed up once in a while but can actually play the game correctly not like a bunch of neanderthals.

Yeah. What he said. Vancouver needs two more wingers who are big, can score and are tough to play against, and one big shutdown centre with offensive ability. In case the OP missed it, Gillis is all about freewheeling, offensive hockey. Any so-called tough guys he signs have to be able to play the game. If not, they are gone. If you doubt that, see Oreskovich, O'Brien, Bernier, Hordichuk, Desbiens and Torres.

We do need an enforcer. Those of you who are saying we don't need one have to stop lying to yourselves. You look around the league and you will see that the one team that probably needs an enforcer the most is the Canucks. Some of you act like this enforcer will play every game and play a lot of minutes which is obviously not the case. This has been going on for years now. Every year the Canucks look soft and get pushed around and the sedins are constantly getting abused. This problem needs to be addressed ASAP. This is one of the biggest failures of the current Canucks management.

Archived