The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Memorial Cup

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since the host format came in, the host has won 8 times, and (if I am counting right) has been the runner up 12 times. So out of 29 Memorial Cups since the host format was introduced, the host has been in the final game 20 times.

My concern is that, knowing that they have a guaranteed spot in the tourney, the host team will make moves and mortgage the future in a way they wouldn't normally in any other season.

Since the host format came in, the host has won 8 times, and (if I am counting right) has been the runner up 12 times. So out of 29 Memorial Cups since the host format was introduced, the host has been in the final game 20 times.

My concern is that, knowing that they have a guaranteed spot in the tourney, the host team will make moves and mortgage the future in a way they wouldn't normally in any other season.

there has only been 4 non-league-champion host teams to win the memorical cup (Vancouver Giants, 2007; Kelowna Rockets, 2004; Ottawa 67's, 1999; Portland Winterhawks 1983), I think the format is fine as it is.

This is not just host teams that load up for Championship runs. This happens in junior hockey every year. Drop a bunch of draft picks for good older talent and then suck for a year to begin the cycle anew the following season.

I just find that having the guaranteed spot encourages it a little more than for any other team in the host league.

I wonder what the record of host teams is in the year (or two) following hosting compared to other tournament participants?

there has only been 4 non-league-champion host teams to win the memorical cup (Vancouver Giants, 2007; Kelowna Rockets, 2004; Ottawa 67's, 1999; Portland Winterhawks 1983), I think the format is fine as it is.

Being involved in junior hockey I love the Memorial Cup. Where else can you watch nine meaningful games in ten nights? Going to the Memorial Cup is probably something every hockey fan should do once because it is a really great time with amazing hockey thrown in.

I think the current format is pretty good. There is always room for tweaking. I love how you can no longer be eliminated on tie-breakers and that the semi-final winner now gets a day off before playing a rested team in the final.

And like you I'm not the biggest fan of the Knights. Really, I'm not the biggest fan of how they do business. I really respect how the Hunter brothers develop their talent. Not so much how they seem to circumvent the rules to get the players they want!

The only thing I think could be improved is the whole host city thing. It seems a little wrong that one team gets a free pass into the tournament. I'm not sure if there's any way to fix it though.

Maybe a mini pre-season tournament between the teams vying to host?

I don't understand the need to fix it. Attendance and ratings are soaring. The coverage on Sportsnet is really good. NHL good.

The host city thing is important. It allows that club to sell season tickets with the knowledge it will include a Memorial Cup ticket. Last year in Mississauga the season attendance went up about 500 a game to average over 3000 due to the Memorial Cup and the team being strong and built to contend.

My guess is next year in Saskatoon it will totally blow up.

Quebec has historically been the weakest of the three leagues when it comes to attendance and interest but look at Shawinigan this week. It's packed and the TV ratings are the highest since 2005 which was the NHL lockout year.

I guess if you don't like the tournament you don't have to watch but I think the host teams are almost always competitive. In 1990 Hamilton was hosting and their team was awful. The OHL just put in the two league finalists Oshawa and Kitchener and the tournament still went well. I think since the host team was included they have been in the vast majority of the finals.

I don't watch much WHL or the memorial cup but what's with the Lazar hype? Sure, he has decent playoff stats, but his regular season stats are far from spectacular. When was the last time a centre with 31 points in 63 games regarded as a top pick?

I don't watch much WHL or the memorial cup but what's with the Lazar hype? Sure, he has decent playoff stats, but his regular season stats are far from spectacular. When was the last time a centre with 31 points in 63 games regarded as a top pick?

Archived