The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

Erik Karlsson

Edler has been a very good defenseman for the Canucks since arriving here. This year he and Hamhuis were our best defensemen.He has played very well in the playoffs before and will again.

The Cup run last year drained the physical and emotional energy from the Canucks and Bruins. Going out in the first round means a longer summer to rest and heal.

Edler, Kesler, Hamhuis and Raymond all were damaged goods this season. Hopefully next seasonthey are back to 100 %.

What a load of crap that is.  When he played as poorly as he did, blaming it on who he was or wasn't playing with is plain stupid. If he is truly an elite talent (and that's laughable in itself), he should be able to elevate the play of whoever he is partnered with, not fall apart himself.

I see everyone on here saying how Edler is going to win a norris soon and how he's so good.

I don't think he has the hockey smarts, or vision to become elite, (he can make some nice passes, but

most players in the NHL should be able to do that) he scares me as much as Bieksa in

his own end sometimes, sure hes a good d-man and he has the potential to become a top pairing d-man,

but whoever thinks he's going to become like a Shea Weber... not going to happen.

It would be different if he saw the game the same as Lidstrom and other elite d-man and his physical

tools were still developing but it's more like the other way around.

I say we ship him off with Luongo if we can, and get a real number one d-man back.

Once Edler gets his raise I'm worried he won't develop any further and just stay the same level....

This team needs a shakeup, especially if AV is here to stay.

I thought Edler was having his best season yet for the first 3 quarters of the season while playing with Salo. I have no idea why AV even put him with Bieksa tbh. With Salo's game and career on the decline we need to find Edler a defensively reliable D partner, it will do wonders for his game.

This whole post along with morons hating on juice and Edler is why people say we have the dumbest fans in hockey! Was he perfect far from it but he's 26 people if you knew anything about hockey you'd know that most defencemen take time to develop. Yah lets get rid of our best defencmen because a few morons think he had a bad year. Its not the media here that has a negative effect on players its you negative, quick to throw players under the bus ignorant uninformed so called "fans" that do.

With all the downside there has been the end to end rushes, oh did you forget. He is human. You all want a Weber t o grab a guys head and smash it into the glass. This is where we need a defenseman to put with him. He does have a good hit or two every game and make a few mistakes. Yup its hockey alright. Put your fingers on Gillis to go out and get a guy to help this guy out. You don't have to throw him to the curb. He has upside that any team would want. With our cap space we are not getting a legit defenseman unless we unload a big money man. Edler is a Nuck through and through. With Erhoff last year he was pretty dam good. This off season will only help him. Dont take it out on him. Its up to the GM and the Lack luster coach that drives the bus. Remember that. Maybe a better assistant coach that takes care of the defensive side of things. Really. This is where Ohlund would have paid dividend. A mentor that has been there and made a difference. Even a Willie Mitchell. Sammy Salo is our only Veteran defensemen in all true respects. He is not the mentor type. This is what this team has been missing the last few years. Come on MG. Show up for the home crowd!!

Dear Op.

I don't know what else I can say about your iq. Edler played pretty poorly, I think the next Lidstrom thing is too much, but He is a valuable asset to us. He happens to be a 50 point defencemen on a Presidents trophy team, which speaks a lot. A lot of teams will kill to have an Alex Edler on their team. Trust me.

You were able to pin point his weaknesses, which is fine, because you only probably watc Canucks game. However if you happen to watch another team on a regular basis, you will also start to see flaws in their games, in their key players too! You think only Alex Elder, has bad habbits? Majority of these defencemens also have some flaws in their game if you happen to watch them play on a regular basis. Drew Doughty! He's great, but his flaws are obvious too, when you to start to watch him play more, every player has habbit and tendancies. The only player I noticed that have very few flaws is Duncan Keith, and Nick Lidstrom, thats about it. EVen Shea Weber at times make bone head moves. NO one is perfect, and again, if WEber happens to sign for us, you will start to see some of his flaws too cause we are always watching him play.

God you people are so quick to turn on players, it's pathetic.

Is Edler's game perfect? Of course not. But there's still tons of time for him to grow. In case you haven't realized, he's still developing.

I'll say it again, Niklas Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was 31. It takes a long time for defenceman to fully develop.

It's too bad Ohlund had to go, because it seemed to me Edler was develping really well under his wing. If we can get another veteran D-man to help him develop further that would help big time.

He was really good all season, then he sucked for a few games in the playoffs and everybody wants him gone. Wow! This is crazy!

As for the Lidström-comparison; who the hell ever said that? Who said that Edler would turn into one the best D-man ever to play hockey? God.

Also, what's up with all your totally random "enters"?

Whether he'll ever be as good as Shea Weber, it's hard to see yet, but it's hard to deny his crazy high potential. He does play in a similar style to Weber, which is why you see so many comparisons to him. They are both big, have big shots, and have huge hits.

It is insulting to intelligent hockey fans to compare Edler with Weber on any level. Please don't embarrass yourself any further. I don't mean to be insulting, but c'mon, that is just not realistic.

Whether he'll ever be as good as Shea Weber, it's hard to see yet, but it's hard to deny his crazy high potential. He does play in a similar style to Weber, which is why you see so many comparisons to him. They are both big, have big shots, and have huge hits.

It is insulting to intelligent hockey fans to compare Edler with Weber on any level. Please don't embarrass yourself any further. I don't mean to be insulting, but c'mon, that is just not realistic.

Archived