The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

Erik Karlsson

I see everyone on here saying how Edler is going to win a norris soon and how he's so good.

I don't think he has the hockey smarts, or vision to become elite, (he can make some nice passes, but

most players in the NHL should be able to do that) he scares me as much as Bieksa in

his own end sometimes, sure hes a good d-man and he has the potential to become a top pairing d-man,

but whoever thinks he's going to become like a Shea Weber... not going to happen.

It would be different if he saw the game the same as Lidstrom and other elite d-man and his physical

tools were still developing but it's more like the other way around.

I say we ship him off with Luongo if we can, and get a real number one d-man back.

Once Edler gets his raise I'm worried he won't develop any further and just stay the same level....

This team needs a shakeup, especially if AV is here to stay.

Edler's poor play could also fall on the fact that AV changed the pairings for no apparent reason with about a month to go in the regular season. I have no idea why he would split up Hamhuis and Bieksa along with Edler and Salo. He then puts Tanev with Hamhuis, and Edler with Bieksa. That is two of the worst pairings I've ever seen. Why $crew with the chemistry right before the playoffs? Just another bonehead move by AV.

Raymond wasn't producing before he was injured. His injury didn't change his game the way Manny's did. Raymond had one good year and got a 2.5 million dollar contract for it. Overpaid.

Edler was good this year. I do wonder if something was wrong in the LA series, injury or otherwise?

I also believe teams clued into our breakout patterns and set plays, also some size match up issues were more well known. Without throwing any one player or the coach under the bus, we do need combinations of some new players and new plays.

We have 3 top 2 pairing left side D men and two world class goalies and a few spare parts to accomplish what is needed. I could see Edler being moved in a package if it achieved a truly elite defender. But I would not be anxious to pick specifically him.

Wasn't there a thread where everybody was saying edler is underpaid?

He's not getting paid $7 mil so why compare him to someone that is?

He was an all-star this year and almost had 50 points.

Everybody was saying how good this guy was all season. He had a few bad games and now all of a sudden he sucks and we should trade him? Unbelievable

Could you imagine if we would have reisgned Willie Mitchell?

Have you looked at him play for the Kings these playoffs?

I don t think we have adequate coaching for our defense core..they don t seem to improve their play at all.

If it wasnt for our goalies..The Cancuks would not be a power team.. I think this team has been overrated for the last few years thks to the great goaltending...

I think we need better coaching for our specialty teams.

Maybe Mitchell/ Edler combo would have been better?

:picard: give your head a shake

I don't see you hating on Burrows. He just scored one goal and missed glorious oppurtunities, not to mention he was on the top line.

Not taking anything away from Burr, I don't hate him, but I'm showing examples of how stupid some CDC members can be.

Please do not compare Edler to Weber in any way. That is ridiculous. Edler may become a great defenceman, but he may not. He makes a lot of mistakes that he shouldn't at the NHL level. He has a lot of potential, but so did a lot of Canuck defencemen over the years. He may become a top level d-man, but not likely a Norris candidate.

God you people are so quick to turn on players, it's pathetic.

Is Edler's game perfect? Of course not. But there's still tons of time for him to grow. In case you haven't realized, he's still developing.

I'll say it again, Niklas Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was 31. It takes a long time for defenceman to fully develop.

It's too bad Ohlund had to go, because it seemed to me Edler was develping really well under his wing. If we can get another veteran D-man to help him develop further that would help big time.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Edler will develop, Edler needs more time, Edler's only 26. Guess who else is only 26, and actually 6 months younger than Edler.........that's right, Shea Weber. Essentially the same age, way different ability.

I think most of the team needs time to recuperate. To me though, Edler is most deficient piece in the Canucks puzzle, and if they can move him with Booth and/or Raymond, we have a chance at getting someone like Weber.

Anyone on the CDC who would turn down the chance at getting Weber, if it is possible, should have never have gotten that lobotomy. Just sayin.

I'd be ok with packaging Edler - but not because of the hate on here and because of an unspectacular playoffs, but instead because he has only 1 year left on his contract and will inevitably want to be paid like a future Lidstrom. Might as well get him moved while he is still a good value for another team and get someone in return we really need who is signed longer term.

Dear Op.

I don't know what else I can say about your iq. Edler played pretty poorly, I think the next Lidstrom thing is too much, but He is a valuable asset to us. He happens to be a 50 point defencemen on a Presidents trophy team, which speaks a lot. A lot of teams will kill to have an Alex Edler on their team. Trust me.

You were able to pin point his weaknesses, which is fine, because you only probably watc Canucks game. However if you happen to watch another team on a regular basis, you will also start to see flaws in their games, in their key players too! You think only Alex Elder, has bad habbits? Majority of these defencemens also have some flaws in their game if you happen to watch them play on a regular basis. Drew Doughty! He's great, but his flaws are obvious too, when you to start to watch him play more, every player has habbit and tendancies. The only player I noticed that have very few flaws is Duncan Keith, and Nick Lidstrom, thats about it. EVen Shea Weber at times make bone head moves. NO one is perfect, and again, if WEber happens to sign for us, you will start to see some of his flaws too cause we are always watching him play.

Agree 100%. I have always tempered these Norris talks with quiet caution. Facts are some aspects of Edler's game are sorely lacking. Namely his lack of hockey intelligence, poor defensive lapses, and serious lack of foot speed (although he was better this year - he did not get beat clean for speed nearly as much), and sometimes intensity.

Also lol at Bluesman60 for stopping reading when his poor defensive play was compared to Bieksa's. Sorry Bluesman60 but that's dead on. Besides not being good defensively Bieksa is lazy and shies away on the defensive end of game. At least Edler tries, he's just not that aware out there and needs a vetern or calming presence.

I wouldn't panic to trade him or say he is the worst ever but he's a far far far cry from Lidstrom like some people think.

If the only way to get a # 1 dman was to trade him I would do that, or better yet get a #1 dman (Weber) and play them together. If that somehow is deemed impossible I think the only way he succeeds is if we get a stalwart stay at home guy or a smart player with speed to cover him. With the right d partner the sky is the limit for Edler, but until he gets that he will continue to play reckless, unthoughtful, and inconsistent hockey. Sometimes seeing how it should be done by someone else is all a player needs. Honestly, he should be with Hamhuis full time but then ... Bieksa sucks and we're back to square 1.

He could get there in a hurry if he played with Shea Weber, but if he doesn't get to play with an outstanding D soon, I don't think Edler will ever learn how to become great, or to get over his nervous play.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Edler will develop, Edler needs more time, Edler's only 26. Guess who else is only 26, and actually 6 months younger than Edler.........that's right, Shea Weber. Essentially the same age, way different ability.

I think most of the team needs time to recuperate. To me though, Edler is most deficent piece in the Canucks puzzle, and if they can move him with Booth and/or Raymond, we have a chance at getting someone like Weber.

Anyone on the CDC who would turn down the chance at getting Weber, if it is possible, should have never have gotten that lobotomy. Just sayin.

Archived