The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

Erik Karlsson

Agree 100%. I have always tempered these Norris talks with quiet caution. Facts are some aspects of Edler's game are sorely lacking. Namely his lack of hockey intelligence, poor defensive lapses, and serious lack of foot speed (although he was better this year - he did not get beat clean for speed nearly as much), and sometimes intensity.

Also lol at Bluesman60 for stopping reading when his poor defensive play was compared to Bieksa's. Sorry Bluesman60 but that's dead on. Besides not being good defensively Bieksa is lazy and shies away on the defensive end of game. At least Edler tries, he's just not that aware out there and needs a vetern or calming presence.

I wouldn't panic to trade him or say he is the worst ever but he's a far far far cry from Lidstrom like some people think.

If the only way to get a # 1 dman was to trade him I would do that, or better yet get a #1 dman (Weber) and play them together. If that somehow is deemed impossible I think the only way he succeeds is if we get a stalwart stay at home guy or a smart player with speed to cover him. With the right d partner the sky is the limit for Edler, but until he gets that he will continue to play reckless, unthoughtful, and inconsistent hockey. Sometimes seeing how it should be done by someone else is all a player needs. Honestly, he should be with Hamhuis full time but then ... Bieksa sucks and we're back to square 1.

God you people are so quick to turn on players, it's pathetic.

Is Edler's game perfect? Of course not. But there's still tons of time for him to grow. In case you haven't realized, he's still developing.

I'll say it again, Niklas Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was 31. It takes a long time for defenceman to fully develop.

It's too bad Ohlund had to go, because it seemed to me Edler was develping really well under his wing. If we can get another veteran D-man to help him develop further that would help big time.

Please do not compare Edler to Weber in any way. That is ridiculous. Edler may become a great defenceman, but he may not. He makes a lot of mistakes that he shouldn't at the NHL level. He has a lot of potential, but so did a lot of Canuck defencemen over the years. He may become a top level d-man, but not likely a Norris candidate.

You people are as bad if not worse than leaf fans . Edler will be fine , he struggled in the latter half but I think the long off season will benefit him huge. He needs to focus on learning to get shots on net instead of always trying to kill the puck with his stick. Trading edler would be as dumb as trading coho

Edler's poor play could also fall on the fact that AV changed the pairings for no apparent reason with about a month to go in the regular season. I have no idea why he would split up Hamhuis and Bieksa along with Edler and Salo. He then puts Tanev with Hamhuis, and Edler with Bieksa. That is two of the worst pairings I've ever seen. Why $crew with the chemistry right before the playoffs? Just another bonehead move by AV.

So he doesn't have a say in anything to do with Defence? Sure, it might have been Rick Bowness who changed it, but AV has to come in and say something... He can't just leave the pairings the same even though Bowness doesn't change it.

So he doesn't have a say in anything to do with Defence? Sure, it might have been Rick Bowness who changed it, but AV has to come in and say something... He can't just leave the pairings the same even though Bowness doesn't change it.

What a load of crap that is. When he played as poorly as he did, blaming it on who he was or wasn't playing with is plain stupid. If he is truly an elite talent (and that's laughable in itself), he should be able to elevate the play of whoever he is partnered with, not fall apart himself.

Wasn't there a thread where everybody was saying edler is underpaid?

He's not getting paid $7 mil so why compare him to someone that is?

He was an all-star this year and almost had 50 points.

Everybody was saying how good this guy was all season. He had a few bad games and now all of a sudden he sucks and we should trade him? Unbelievable

Is there been any Canuck on here that shouldn't be traded except Cory? Apparently being an all-star defenseman all year and then having a bad playoff round means a player is awful. Weber was a plus player only one game against Phoenix...should they trade him as well cause he sucks and cracks under pressure?

Canuck fans just complain complain and complain about every player until they are gone and then they complain complain complain about the new player as soon as they slump and the cycle continues. If Cory stays as a number one goalie here I give it one bad play off series before everyone jumps on his back and says he sucks.

Is there been any Canuck on here that shouldn't be traded except Cory? Apparently being an all-star defenseman all year and then having a bad playoff round means a player is awful. Weber was a plus player only one game against Phoenix...should they trade him as well cause he sucks and cracks under pressure?

Canuck fans just complain complain and complain about every player until they are gone and then they complain complain complain about the new player as soon as they slump and the cycle continues. If Cory stays as a number one goalie here I give it one bad play off series before everyone jumps on his back and says he sucks.

Archived