The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are The Canucks The Most Successful Team To Have Not Won A Cup?

Slegr

Well they haven't won a cup so I don't know how you can say they're successful.

PS Don't come at me with the "2 presidents trophies and game 7 in the stanley cup finals argument" because I don't care and neither should you.

They were in the 8th seed, have started every single series on the road, were the complete underdogs going into the playoffs and are still dominating every team so far.

Sure Phoenix isn't playing well, and St. Louis struggled against LA as did the Canucks, but that is more a result of the Kings playing amazingly, not luck. They're not smashing these teams with luck, they're keeping the pressure and physical intensity up which is causing these good teams to make bad mistakes.

The Kings are the real deal, and it was only a matter of time before they exploded. Their big forwards, hard hitting style (2nd in the NHL in hits in the regular season), solid goaltending and shutdown defence is the recipe for success, now they finally have a coach who knows what he's doing and is piecing it all together.

Probably. Its a god damn joke teams like LA have a path paved for them all the way to a cup. Vancouver's never had that type of help ever, and now LA is allowed all of a sudden to win their first cup ever, sick and tired of this crap.

Guest BuckFoston
Well if you look at it, there is one of 2 teams, the kings will face in the finals, Devils or Rangers, and none of these teams, is a (Dynasty) type of team, like a team we had to face in 82. In fact I don't even think the Devils or Rangers is as good as our Vancouver Canucks of today.

I would really like to see the Kings win it.

They did put us out, so what, we woke up too late. However they have been the "cleanest" most organised most workmanlike team I have seen in these finals and they have just enough talent to rise to the occasion.

I don't like NYR and I don't like their style or their coach.........always wearing the martyr's grin when any call goes against his team.

I also like the LA coach with his "heading for a perforated stomach ulcer" grimace. He knows the game and he is proving it, for me.

1) You don't think they are as good? That explains why they are in the conf finals and the Canucks are golfing, right? Marty has drank from the fountain of youth on his birthday and has made some exceptional saves. They also have Kovi and Parise who haven't disappeared unlike some stars on our team when it matters. The Rangers have been grinding all the way through, everyone sacrificing their bodies and contributing. Lundqvist has played lights out. The current Lundqvist is no match for current Luo although Schneider could give him a little competition. He is most definitely their MVP. So I'd say as it stands right now those teams are better and are showing it.

2) What teams has LA steamrolled that are better than anything the East has to offer? If Rangers didn't crap out on their last game they would have been the Pres Trophy winners (and should have been) as they've been sitting in either #1 or 2 spot in the league for months. They were Conf champions and Division champs as well. And I'm sorry but they have Pens, Flyers, and Devils in their group and managed to beat them all when we have Flames, Oilers, and Minny to deal with. Canucks are good and Blues are a hard working team, but they are not better than what the East has to offer as of now. There is no comparison.

You don't have a clue, do you?

Kings had to take out the top 2 seeds to get where they are. They're getting this one easy round, and then they'll likely have to face the top seed in the East when they're done here.

We totally had the red carpet laid out for us in 2003. The Blues had us by the balls, but then they all got the flu, and we squeaked out of the first round. The top 3 seeds (Dallas, Detroit, and Colorado) were all eliminated by other teams. We got a 3-1 lead on the 6th seeded Wild, and all we had to do was finish them off and take out the 7th seeded Ducks... ...but the boys choked harder than pretty much any team has choked before in the history of choking.

THAT was far more help than LA has had. THAT was a freakin red carpet.

Actually every team we played in '94 was higher in the standings than us. In '82 all the top seeds in the west were taken out by Chicago and LA. We didn't face a team higher in the standings in '82 until the Isles in the final.

Franchise record of 1329-1454-391-and 82 overtime/shootout losses. Missed the playoffs 16 times in 41 seasons and for the first twenty years almost every team made the playoffs.

Recently they have had lots of success but overall this is far from the most successful team to not win the stanley cup. I think in a few more years the overall record will continue to get better but their is still a long way to go from the horrible first 20 seasons.

Sabres have a record of 1569-1219-409 with 83 OT/SO losses. Only missed playoffs 11 times. More Hall of famers for sure. At least more by players that had the majority of their career in Buffalo.

The nucks being the most successful team to have not won a cup? I think not, go back way back and I am sure you'll find one of the original six have had some issues. As for LA this year, all I can say is they have peaked at the right time, and it never hurts to get away with a little goalie interference once in a while does it? :bigblush:

I beleive the Buffalo Sabres hold the distinction of having the highest overall winning percentage among teams that haven't won the Stanley Cup.

In fact, the last time I tallied those numbers, which was somewhere around the lock-out, only Montreal and Boston had better overall winning percentages than the Sabres.

Here's a question I was pondering today - Are the Canucks the most successful NHL team to have never won a Stanley Cup? In 40+ years, three Stanley Cup Finals appearances, including two Game 7s, and two recent Presidents Trophy winners, not to mention numerous division titles.

It would seem that at least since the early 90s, this team has seen the most success without actually going all the way. It's kind of sad, to be so close, but never quite reach the end goal.

Would you like to reread the thread?? It said Most successful team to NOT WIN THE CUP! . Sorry Philly does not share our pain. They won two cups. Teams like St.Louis,L.A, Buffalo share our pain.

You don't have a clue, do you?

Kings had to take out the top 2 seeds to get where they are. They're getting this one easy round, and then they'll likely have to face the top seed in the East when they're done here.

We totally had the red carpet laid out for us in 2003. The Blues had us by the balls, but then they all got the flu, and we squeaked out of the first round. The top 3 seeds (Dallas, Detroit, and Colorado) were all eliminated by other teams. We got a 3-1 lead on the 6th seeded Wild, and all we had to do was finish them off and take out the 7th seeded Ducks... ...but the boys choked harder than pretty much any team has choked before in the history of choking.

THAT was far more help than LA has had. THAT was a freakin red carpet.

Yeah, I was thinking St Louis. They went to finals in each of their first 3 seasons, they have at least 1 president's trophy, have been around longer, and had that ridiculous streak of making the playoffs. We have had large stretches of being absolutely terrible (17 consecutive losing seasons for instance, the Keenan/Messier debacle).

well let's see... life time winning %:

panthers 0.393

kings 0.406

canucks 0.407

blues: 0.437

capitals 0.439

senators 0.440

sabres: 0.479

(these are from the beginning of the season, but i doubt it altered the overall stat much)

http://statshockey.homestead.com/alltimestandings.html

so, no, the canucks are not the most successful team not to have won a cup.

also, people saying the kings have an easy road are hilarious.

Archived