The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Or Pahlsson: What Do We Do?

Nucks-4-Life

It's clear Manny doesn't have his offensive skills anymore. However, his faceoff abilities are very handy. Problem is, he still has one more year left on his contract at 2.5 million. If we are to replace him with Pahlsson that means we need to offer Pahlsson a contract since he is now a UFA. He got paid 2.65 million this year, so we can assume he will get the same offer from us.

What do we do with Manny then? I doubt he has any value in the trade market. I guess he could be our 4th line center, but that seems like a waste of valuable cap space.

Will we be forced to bury Manny in the AHL?

I don't see this organization burying Manny in the AHL. And MG has said before that he doesn't like the idea of rental players, which would imply he intends to keep Pahlsson. I expect both to be here next season, even if it is a waste of cap space.

I was not impressed with Pahlsson. He took stupid penalties and got too involved with individual battles. Malhotra is just not the same (is only useful for faceoffs) player anymore after that eye injury. Both need to go.

Malhotra has an NTC, so the best we can do is pray that a solid off-season of training gets him back to a 10-goal scoring mark and 30-point standard.

Pahlsson on the otherhand was one of our only bright spots in the playoffs and in the stretch run. He isn't worth 2.5 million anymore but is a very solid 4th line veteran that should get 1.5 million for a year. He was solid physically, a great penalty killer and has a wicked shot with some great offensive abilities.

Meanwhile Lapierre played well for us, and with Hansen improving I'd like to see this next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Pahlsson - Malhotra - Bitz

Weise

I say keep Manny for the rest of his contract (another year). Everyone says he is not the same since his injury, and although that is true it doesn't mean we should give up on him. He had more surgery after the long run last year, and coming back from any injury is quite hard. Kesler was the same, after his surgery last season he hasn't been the same player. Both of them can and after the disappointing end to this season, will be better.

As for Pahlsson, i say let him walk. He was pretty decent, but i think we could get another 3rd liner who can perhaps a do a bit more than what he did.

Malhotra has an NTC, so the best we can do is pray that a solid off-season of training gets him back to a 10-goal scoring mark and 30-point standard.

Pahlsson on the otherhand was one of our only bright spots in the playoffs and in the stretch run. He isn't worth 2.5 million anymore but is a very solid 4th line veteran that should get 1.5 million for a year. He was solid physically, a great penalty killer and has a wicked shot with some great offensive abilities.

Meanwhile Lapierre played well for us, and with Hansen improving I'd like to see this next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Weise

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Weise

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Weise

I would keep Manny and move Pahlsson AND Booth. Not because Booth isn't a decent player, he's just too greedy for me and if I have to settle for a "greedy" player I would rather take Kes any day. Booth was an epic fail in the SC and he didn't have an injury excuse.

What we really need to do is not buck with the system.

Manny started the year on the 4th line. He took the face off, almost always won it, we advanced the puck & he shifted on the fly as the offence headed up ice. A 220 lb centre who stands up the Joe Thorntons of the world, wins the puck and protects our end is still useful. Expensive, but useful.

Those who believe we got Pahlsson as an upgrade on Manny were proven wrong. He replaced Hodgson cuz Gillis was sick of him. Manny & Kess still took the key defensive match ups. And Pahlsson did not score replacing our other offensive centre. We should be keeping Manny & finding an offensive centre.

Schroeder anyone? -_-

It's clear Manny doesn't have his offensive skills anymore. However, his faceoff abilities are very handy. Problem is, he still has one more year left on his contract at 2.5 million. If we are to replace him with Pahlsson that means we need to offer Pahlsson a contract since he is now a UFA. He got paid 2.65 million this year, so we can assume he will get the same offer from us.

What do we do with Manny then? I doubt he has any value in the trade market. I guess he could be our 4th line center, but that seems like a waste of valuable cap space.

Will we be forced to bury Manny in the AHL?

WAY too many people look at hockey as statistics alone. Manny is an important part to this team in character and leadership. He is also an excellent asset to have in his defensive draws.

Sure, he had an off year but why is it "one strike and you're out"? The guy missed training camp and was dealing with the immediate effects of a career threatening eye injury. He knows he needs to be better and he knows he can be better. I, for one, fully expect him to have a bounce-back year.

We are not burning Manny in the minors, he's too good a leader and too classy.

I really liked what I saw in Påhlsson, he was solid defensively and he's a good friend of the Sedins. Plus he's got some offensive skills.

But the question is really: do we want three scoring lines and a hustle/energy line, or do we want two scoring lines, a shut down line and an energy line?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Weise

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Weise

Archived