The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Or Pahlsson: What Do We Do?

Nucks-4-Life

This upcoming season will be Manny's last year here. It's too bad his eye injury turned him into a worse hockey player somehow...

If it wasn't for that injury, he could have finished his career as our 3rd line center and done well at it.

Pahlsson hasn't really had a chance to gel with the rest of the team. He plays a lot like Manny, good on PK/Faceoffs, capable of putting up some points, but his physical play is more affective....

Not sure what's going to happen in the off season. I wouldn't hate it if Pahlsson re-signed for a good price. For once we have TOO MANY centers!

I would keep Manny and move Pahlsson AND Booth. Not because Booth isn't a decent player, he's just too greedy for me and if I have to settle for a "greedy" player I would rather take Kes any day. Booth was an epic fail in the SC and he didn't have an injury excuse.

Well, it's too bad we're in the position we are with Manny but as others have mentioned I think we'll keep him. It didn't work out for us at all, looked great in the beginning and then the injury made that a terrible contract for us but with only one year left we probably bite the bullet and keep him around. :sadno: You never know, he could bounce back and be that ultimate third line center that he was for us. If not we hide him on the fourth, let him take face-offs, or sit him in the press box.

Pahlsson showed glimpses of being alright. He is 34 though and a shadow of what he once was. I think we will let him walk unless he signs a very reasonable $1.5 per / 1 year deal. Last thing we need is another aging veteren that provides no offence. Facts are we could probably use a better player that could bump up to the second while Kesler recovers, although with AV he'll probably let Kesler start the year anyway.

For those of you that keep harping about throwing people under the bus start using your brains. You can't just keep every single player you've ever signed because he had an injury or showed loyalty. Maybe we should bring back every player, including Morrison, Naslund, Linden, etc., that's ever played and just agree that we won't play competitively, it'll just be for fun.

That's a social club not a pro hockey team.

I would keep Manny and move Pahlsson AND Booth. Not because Booth isn't a decent player, he's just too greedy for me and if I have to settle for a "greedy" player I would rather take Kes any day. Booth was an epic fail in the SC and he didn't have an injury excuse.

Its time to purge this team of players that are not performing anymore or not working with there cap hit. (malhotra, raymond, ballard= 9mil) and replace them with youth or ufa's that are going to have a greater impact. Booth gets another year and we should also look at Replacing Rome or Alberrts because young guys like MAG are going to need ice time to improve.

Anything we are unloading should be for whatever picks we can get so we can stock the cupboards with youth. we could get roster player(s) for our goalie trade though.

If Manny has a nmc then I suppose we are stuck with him.

Manny will be playing for us next year; I'm 100% certain of this. I'm not certain he will return to previous form, but I would not be surprised if he was improved from this last season if he has the offseason to train.

With that said, if we're looking at the dip in points to indicate that his performance went downhill, consider this: His average time on ice this past season was 12:21 per game. The previous season it was 16:10 per game. This is a reduction of nearly 25%. If he was playing to his previous level with this amount of ice time, this would convert to 22.5 points. As such, we can equate that Manny's point production was 20% less than it was the previous year. While still an obvious dip, it isn't quite as bad as many have made it out to be.

I'd be happy to have Pahlsson re-signed for another year, but not at the same price as his last contract; he is certainly not the player he used to be.

You are joking right? We are talking the same David Booth who at his stature, fought to stand up for his team mates? The same David Booth who was the only conistant physical presence in the canucks roster throught the five playoff games? im sorry but David booth is way to valuable to move

Malhotra has an NTC, so the best we can do is pray that a solid off-season of training gets him back to a 10-goal scoring mark and 30-point standard.

Pahlsson on the otherhand was one of our only bright spots in the playoffs and in the stretch run. He isn't worth 2.5 million anymore but is a very solid 4th line veteran that should get 1.5 million for a year. He was solid physically, a great penalty killer and has a wicked shot with some great offensive abilities.

Meanwhile Lapierre played well for us, and with Hansen improving I'd like to see this next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Pahlsson - Malhotra - Bitz

Weise

Well, bleep happens. This year was good and bad. I expect our returning players to be better. That includes Malhotra and Pahlsson, both solid to great role players.

This team took a misstep this year. No need to blow things up.

Manny is fine. Adds value to team besides points. He will be here next year. He can play 3rd or 4th line.

He is not going anywhere.

Pahlson, although I like him in the job can can do, we certainly can not afford to over pay him. 2 mil max.

If he wants to test free agency and walk for more money, go ahead. He can be useful in that job but not at any price. we could replace him if need be. i like younger, faster, hungrier if need be too.

i can see pahlsson going for the money this offseason. hes already got a cup and at the tail end of his career. he's not going to get alot but i can still see him being out of our price range.

I wouldnt count manny out though unless they aquire a young stud defensive center

Archived