The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Or Pahlsson: What Do We Do?

Nucks-4-Life

I see him having a bounce back season. He has the whole summer to recover and make adjustments to his game. Last season he was still fresh off the procedures, only practicing and training with the injury for a short period of time.

Now he has the whole summer. I think he will be just fine

Stay or trade I will be fine with

Our humiliation was done by a team that is head and shoulders above the rest of the league right now... It sucks but we aren't a horrible team.

I would be ok going with'

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Schroeder (I think he really is ready and will be a good playmaker for the "greedy" Booth and Kesler.. Historically, small players have played well with bigger forwards)

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Pinizotto Malhotra Lapierre

It's clear Manny doesn't have his offensive skills anymore. However, his faceoff abilities are very handy. Problem is, he still has one more year left on his contract at 2.5 million. If we are to replace him with Pahlsson that means we need to offer Pahlsson a contract since he is now a UFA. He got paid 2.65 million this year, so we can assume he will get the same offer from us.

What do we do with Manny then? I doubt he has any value in the trade market. I guess he could be our 4th line center, but that seems like a waste of valuable cap space.

Will we be forced to bury Manny in the AHL?

Our humiliation was done by a team that is head and shoulders above the rest of the league right now... It sucks but we aren't a horrible team.

I would be ok going with'

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Schroeder (I think he really is ready and will be a good playmaker for the "greedy" Booth and Kesler.. Historically, small players have played well with bigger forwards)

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

I would be ok going with' another presidents cup

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Haha, find me a team that has won the presidents trophy 3 times in a row and HASN'T won the cup... Do you really think that we are going to stay pat this summer? Has our forward group EVER stayed pat from one trade deadline to the next?

A Luongo or Schneider trade could open the door for a whole ton more but honestly, if we had that forward lineup and used all the extra cap on D... (have we ever been much below the cap?).. I think we will be fine. MG will surprise us as usual.

Malhotra has an NTC, so the best we can do is pray that a solid off-season of training gets him back to a 10-goal scoring mark and 30-point standard.

Pahlsson on the otherhand was one of our only bright spots in the playoffs and in the stretch run. He isn't worth 2.5 million anymore but is a very solid 4th line veteran that should get 1.5 million for a year. He was solid physically, a great penalty killer and has a wicked shot with some great offensive abilities.

Meanwhile Lapierre played well for us, and with Hansen improving I'd like to see this next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Pahlsson - Malhotra - Bitz

Weise

Just b/c they didn't win the cup this year doesn't mean the team needs to be reshuffled. So many things, including luck, have to fall into place for a team to win. Just b/b Philly or Boston or whoever didn't win this year doesn't mean they need to be reshuffled. After Canucks lost and Philly was looking hot so many said we should go the same route and trade some of our star guys...but they are golfing now too. If quick wasn't playing lights out or Danny wasn't injured maybe we would have tore it up too...who knows. Tweaks and some changes are always need to improve...but a whole team switch. Manny is important to this team and will be back. We need a partner for Eddie and maybe some size (MG did get some last off season but they all got hurt). The Canucks are a helluva team with good ppl and maybe next year the little things will line up.

Do we know for certain that there is anything now wrong with his sight?

I ask this because surly he has to undergo and pass optical tests. If he is failing them, then that is information that won't be hidden from the management. If he is not passing these tests would he even be on the ice?..............I would not have thought so.

Another thing if for the sake of argument he has failed tests but is still being picked (I can't see it myself, if you excuse the pun) then surely he would still be having operations or treatment. He did disappear for a while for "personal reasons" maybe this was more treatment I don't know.

However I can't get passed his "diving goal" this season and I wonder, could he have scored that kind of hand eye co-ordinated strike if his eyesight was sub par?

Maybe we are all reading too much into the situation and like Raymond and Kesler it has been the actual loss of proper pre-season that has affected him more than his eye injury. I hope so..........and I think if that is the case we will see the "old Manny" back next season. If it's not the case I can't see a guy like that wanting to continue to take money if his vision is no longer up to the task.

Perhaps if that was the case it would make him ideal for a coaching position in Chicago or the Wings.

Let Pahlsson walk. Keep Manny as 4th line center. Malhotra does so much better when he controls a line from the middle.

Would be great if we could acquire Stoll or C.Kelly via free agency for 3rd line, but i would be ok with Lapierre there. We did almost win a cup with him doin that job and Schroeder should start making a contribution soon.

I would keep Manny and move Pahlsson AND Booth. Not because Booth isn't a decent player, he's just too greedy for me and if I have to settle for a "greedy" player I would rather take Kes any day. Booth was an epic fail in the SC and he didn't have an injury excuse.

Why not role a totally helicopter 4th line?

If Schroeder isn't ready for the 3rd line role full time, move one of the centers up.

It could also help Schroeder a lot if he has a guy like Pahlsson on his line to ease him into the NHL faceoff game.

Higgins Schroeder Hansen

Lappy Manny Pahlsson

Archived