The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Griffin Reinhart

The Canucks brass should do whatever it takes to land this gem. His father played for the flames and was a good player for them so I would assume he has good pedigree. He models his game after Shea Weber and is from B.C. also. I'm not sure how early he will be selected in this years draft however. Do we have any chance on him? How soon do you all think he will be drafted? This guy seems like the real deal, and he's only going to fill out and get bigger. His greatest assets so far are his mobility for his size, and his booming shot. Once he starts using his body a little more to inflict punishing hits look out. Remind you of anyone in the league that all of us covet, and want on this team?

Griffin Reinhart: There’s No Need To Rush Him

Added by David OConnor on October 26, 2011.

Griffin-Reinhart-300x225.jpg

Like Father, Like Son

The sky is the limit for 2012 NHL Draft prospect Griffin Reinhart. This six-foot four, two hundred pound blueliner from the Edmonton Oil Kings has all the tools needed to have a successful pro career. His father Paul played for the Calgary Flames for many years, younger brother Sam plays for Kootenay of the WHL, and his older brother Max, who also plays for the Ice, is currently a highly touted Flames prospect.

Griffin thinks that one of his strong points is his shot, which isn’t too surprising given his size, but scouts will also tell you that his mobility on the ice is another strength. Pro scouts are salivating at the thought of having Griffin on their blueline some day, as big mobile defenseman are highly sought after in today’s NHL. Reinhart likes to think that he could be the next Shea Weber, and at this rate there is certainly a possibility that he could be just that.

Being from the Vancouver area, it’s not surprising to hear that Griffin is also a big Vancouver Canucks fan. However the chances of the Canucks – a top NHL team – selecting him are slim. Griffin is expected to go fairly early in the first round in 2012, and the Canucks typically have a pick later in the first round. But wherever Reinhart ends up, he’ll be happy to go there, and the team that drafts him will certainly be glad to get him.

A native of West Vancouver, British Columbia, Griffin Reinhart has a lot of things going for him. For his large size, Reinhart is a very smooth skater, and a mobile skater that’s six-foot-four is something that a lot of general managers are, and will be interested in. One thing that is perhaps limiting him from being ranked higher in draft rankings is that, as of right now, he’s not great at using his size to play a physical game. It’s not like he avoids all contact (he was recently suspended five games for kneeing), but scouts would like to see him be more aggressive to take pucks away from opponents.

ISS Has Griffin Reinhart Pegged For The 1st Round

The International Scouting Service currently has Reinhart ranked as the 11th best prospect, and at the moment, most people will agree that’s an appropriate ranking. Griffin’s still a very raw prospect, and he will likely need a few more years of development before he can step into the pro game. However, he’s also an intriguing prospect because of the fact that Reinhart has all the tools and loads of potential.

Griffin is very appreciative of all the support he receives from his family. His father Paul, who played 648 career NHL games, is there to give him advice whenever he needs it, especially when it comes to Griffin having to handle all the expectations and pressures that are placed on topprospects. Griffin’s brother Max has also been key to helping Griffin along. Griffin says that “[Max's] been a big help. I’m going through everything he went through so if I have any questions he knows exactly what’s going on in my mind. It’s a big help having him.” There are concerns that because Griffin is NHL ready in terms of size, teams might want to rush him to the NHL instead of letting him develop his game some more in major junior. Current Colorado Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson is being used as an example of what not to do with Reinhart, as Johnson was brought into St. Louis too early, and some say that as a result his career has already been ruined.

So be sure to follow Reinhart’s progress this season, because if he plays well enough, it is certainly possible that he could be a top-five selection.

I'd say top 5.

Biggest chance is to trade Schneider for 2nd overall or 5th overall. But that is a huge risks. Otherwise I don't see who we can trade to get a top 10 picks beside Sedins and Kesler.

Luongo could get us a top 25 picks maybe at the best.

ISS currently has him at 10th overall in their rankings, updated yesterday. FYI, the 10th overall pick belongs to Tampa. Guys that are sure to go ahead of him are Yakupov, Forsberg, Murray, and Grigorenko. After that who knows. Toronto's 5th overall looks like it'll be enough to grab Reinhart.

ISS RANKINGS via TSN

http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9653

I'd say top 5.

Biggest chance is to trade Schneider for 2nd overall or 5th overall. But that is a huge risks. Otherwise I don't see who we can trade to get a top 10 picks beside Sedins and Kesler.

Luongo could get us a top 25 picks maybe at the best.

Reinhart is one of those players that is a lock to someday play in the NHL. I question his overall upside though. I think he'll eventually become a very steady #3 that is good at everything but not great at anything. Do you want to take that player in the top 5? Or even 10? I could justify a team picking him around 8th overall and he'll be a very good at 11-13. Can't see him going top 5 though.

It's tough to say though. The Oil Kings have such a deep blue line. He's the #4 Dman behind Pysyk, Lowe and Gernat right now. They're all just a little older and that makes a difference in junior. Next season Pysyk will be gone and at 18 years old he will most definitely be better than Lowe and Gernat. He'll be the go to guy in Edmonton. The added ice time but just natural development should make his offensive numbers more impressive. He'll also likely get even stronger and if he could become more physical, he could be the total package at the junior level.

I don't see the Edler comparison at all though. He may become a #2 someday but I'd temper my expectations and expect to be getting a very good 2nd paring Dman that every team would love to have.

Reinhart is one of those players that is a lock to someday play in the NHL. I question his overall upside though. I think he'll eventually become a very steady #3 that is good at everything but not great at anything. Do you want to take that player in the top 5? Or even 10? I could justify a team picking him around 8th overall and he'll be a very good at 11-13. Can't see him going top 5 though.

It's tough to say though. The Oil Kings have such a deep blue line. He's the #4 Dman behind Pysyk, Lowe and Gernat right now. They're all just a little older and that makes a difference in junior. Next season Pysyk will be gone and at 18 years old he will most definitely be better than Lowe and Gernat. He'll be the go to guy in Edmonton. The added ice time but just natural development should make his offensive numbers more impressive. He'll also likely get even stronger and if he could become more physical, he could be the total package at the junior level.

I don't see the Edler comparison at all though. He may become a #2 someday but I'd temper my expectations and expect to be getting a very good 2nd paring Dman that every team would love to have.

maybe around 10 to 13. Apparently, whats lacking is sometimes, he has doesn't feel like playing. But according to a fan that's watched him play numerous times, (at hfboards) he thinks he's a beast because he's 6'4, and an excellent skater.

According to sources, he is the future Alex Edler (better defensively)

Seeing him in the Memorial Cup, he definitely has Edler written all over him at this point. The way he skates, shot, size, inconsistency in the physicality department, right down to even his turnovers in his own zone is almost exactly like Edler. Projection-wise, you'd have to think that if he plays like Edler at 18 years old, how much can he grow? Potentially, he could come close to Weber down the road but we all know about potential, his ceiling could be lower than that.

Louongo and Van 1st 2013 for Toronto 1st 2012. Toronto makes the playoffs, Burke keeps his job and if the Canucks falter due to the Louongo trade maybe the 2013 pick won't be that low. Reinhart would be an excellent defensive cornerstone. His dad was one of the best defensemen ever and Griffin is showing a lot of promise.

Archived