The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Jason Garrison : Canucks High On His List If Panthers Don't Resign Him

Looks like Garrison will most likely stay with the Panthers..

Hockey Break@HockeyBreak

The Florida Panthers have offered Jason Garrison a contract extension. Dale Tallon & his agent will meet. Lots of interest from the Canucks

Hockey Break@HockeyBreak

Garrison said he wants to stay with the Panthers; but, if negotiations fail, playing for the Canucks is his second choice.

Now what are the chances the negotiations fail?

Oh my, Dreger just said:

"Some believe that if he goes to UFA, he could command upwards of $5M per year on a contract that could extend to 5 yrs. We're talking about $25M. The Florida Panthers can't afford to pay that - not even close to that. So don't be surprised if Dale Tallon opts instead to trade his negotiating rights and there are a lot of teams interested. And that puts St. Louis right near the top of that pack."

I wouldn't mind signing him at 4m per year, just as long as the term isn't long. Those long-term moves can be risky after signing a player who had a career season. Then hopefully we can clear cap space from trading Luongo, Ballard, and letting go of Salo.

I have a feeling he has already decided not to sign with Florida and that Vancouver is where he will end up.

He probably knows that Florida is not a contender for a few years, while the team he grew up rooting for in his hometown province is a contender NOW. It's like Willie Mitchell or Hamhuis, they may say whatever they want to the media, but he wants to be a canuck.

I have a feeling he has already decided not to sign with Florida and that Vancouver is where he will end up.

He probably knows that Florida is not a contender for a few years, while the team he grew up rooting for in his hometown province is a contender NOW. It's like Willie Mitchell or Hamhuis, they may say whatever they want to the media, but he wants to be a canuck.

Archived