The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Jason Garrison : Canucks High On His List If Panthers Don't Resign Him

What worries me about Garrison is what has worried me about all Panthers players, their number seemed to have been skewed playing in their division. I know it may just be a coincidence, but Frolik, Olli Jokinen, Keith Ballard, and David Booth all had significant dropoff in their production when leaving Florida.

Does that mean that this trend will continue with Garrison. Nobody knows. I'm just not sold on Garrison, and I watched a fair amount of Panthers games this year, three of those live against the Jets.

What worries me about Garrison is what has worried me about all Panthers players, their number seemed to have been skewed playing in their division.  I know it may just be a coincidence, but Frolik, Olli Jokinen, Keith Ballard, and David Booth all had significant dropoff in their production when leaving Florida.

Does that mean that this trend will continue with Garrison. Nobody knows.  I'm just not sold on Garrison, and I watched a fair amount of Panthers games this year, three of those live against the Jets.

Grabner seemed to do pretty good when he left Florida?

:bigblush:

But seriously, like with Grabner, 3rd line talents playing 2knd line, 2knd line talents playing on the PP and first line because the balance of the team had been weak... Pumps up your #'s, very simple.

Maybe this year and this player is different? Florida was a credible team and Garrison has the physical tools and big shot.

What worries me about Garrison is what has worried me about all Panthers players, their number seemed to have been skewed playing in their division. I know it may just be a coincidence, but Frolik, Olli Jokinen, Keith Ballard, and David Booth all had significant dropoff in their production when leaving Florida.

Does that mean that this trend will continue with Garrison. Nobody knows. I'm just not sold on Garrison, and I watched a fair amount of Panthers games this year, three of those live against the Jets.

I think Gillis and a lot of GM's are aware of Garrison's situation in Florida. Why he had such a great season out of the blue. That being said, it might not stop a team from overpaying him. As usual, the UFA market is paper-thin.

Perhaps with Tanev's development into the top-4 and with Gragnani, we've already handled our defensive depth.

The work is in improving on what we already have, not adding depth. We had a TON of depth. Didn't help. Cheers.

TOML

I think Gillis and a lot of GM's are aware of Garrison's situation in Florida. Why he had such a great season out of the blue. That being said, it might not stop a team from overpaying him. As usual, the UFA market is paper-thin.

Perhaps with Tanev's development into the top-4 and with Gragnani, we've already handled our defensive depth.

The work is in improving on what we already have, not adding depth. We had a TON of depth. Didn't help. Cheers.

TOML

Dobber's take on Garrison. Not good.

I kindof agree that this guy just came outta nowhere. Would he have 'broken out' if not for Campbell, Jovo, and the SE division?

We've seen guys like this before recently. Anton Babchuk? Keith Ballard? Put them in a different division and watch their numbers DIVE. Cheers.

TOML

Realistically, I just don't see Garrison signing with the Canucks; for the sole reason that another team will overpay for his services. At best, he's a $2.5 million per year player. However, I see a team (much in the same as Columbus last year) who is in desperate need of bolstering their blueline, paying Garrison around $3.5 million for him to come play top 4 minutes.

I can see Toronto, San Jose, Minnesota, Anaheim, and the Islanders making a strong play for him.

No, two years ago we had a ton of depth. This season I could tell we needed another D-man from the start.

We need one more top 4 D-man to replace Ehrhoff, which we didn't do last season. Then we need Salo to re-sign at a reasonable price.

Then we have:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler UFA

Ballard Tanev

Salo, Alberts

That is a ton of depth. Whether we get Garrison, Wideman, Allen, Suter, or someone else. It doesn't matter, but we need one more defenceman that can play top 4.

Realistically, I just don't see Garrison signing with the Canucks; for the sole reason that another team will overpay for his services. At best, he's a $2.5 million per year player. However, I see a team (much in the same as Columbus last year) who is in desperate need of bolstering their blueline, paying Garrison around $3.5 million for him to come play top 4 minutes.

I can see Toronto, San Jose, Minnesota, Anaheim, and the Islanders making a strong play for him.

TOML

I think a pairing of Jackman - Garrison could do really well for the organization. Veteran Shutdown D - Breakout Two-way D, sounds like a seconding coming of Hamhuis - Beiksa only double the BC power.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Jackman - Garrison

Give each pairing 18-22 minutes and have one of the most well rested defense corps. in the league.

Edler - Garrison 1st PP

Hamhuis - Bieksa 2nd PP

all but Edler on the PK.

Archived