Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] - Jason Garrison : Canucks High On His List If Panthers Don't Resign Him

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
350 replies to this topic

#331 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

I would offer Garrison 4.25 million x 4 years at the most. He gets the chance to play for a contender, play at home and get big minutes. He is not worth Wideman money. Carle should get more than Garrison as well. They've had multiple successful seasons. Garrison could be a one-year wonder.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#332 protectyaneck

protectyaneck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

4 years at 4 mil per.

#333 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,590 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'd rather have Garrison than either Carle or Wideman - I think it is a good thing that he is younger and less established - he'll turn out to be the better cap value as a result. Garrison is a bigger guy with more upside at both ends of the ice - he could put up some mad numbers on the Canucks powerplay... and a discount signing could turn out to pay off for him in the long run...

#334 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I would offer Garrison 4.25 million x 4 years at the most. He gets the chance to play for a contender, play at home and get big minutes. He is not worth Wideman money. Carle should get more than Garrison as well. They've had multiple successful seasons. Garrison could be a one-year wonder.

Then I definitely wouldn't offer Garrison 4 years at a 4.25 cap hit. I don't know, I just feel its going to be very hard signing this guy.

#335 Zissou

Zissou

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Then I definitely wouldn't offer Garrison 4 years at a 4.25 cap hit. I don't know, I just feel its going to be very hard signing this guy.

I even think anything over 3.75 is too much for Garrison. How many players have we seen have incredible seasons in a contract year then followed it up with a couple mediocre seasons?

I dunno, maybe it's my ignorance because I haven't seen him play at all, but I just can't see this guy being worth more than 3.75

#336 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,720 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

Sombody is going to stupidly overpay, hopefully he goes with a chance to win over money.

#337 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

You can just predict Garrison is gonna sign in Edmonton to troll the Canucks.

Posted Image

#338 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

I really hope Gillis and his scouting staff know what they are doing regarding Garrison. If he is that good, then sign him. If we add only one player this off season then getting the best bang for the buck preimeir defenseman is all we do then do it!!!

Edited by pomorick, 30 June 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#339 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Do not want. Do not want. Do not want.

Sorry, but adding one more average D-man to a team full of averages is NOT going to put this team over the top.

#340 The Horvatian One

The Horvatian One

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Sorry, but adding one more average D-man to a team full of averages is NOT going to put this team over the top.

And adding an uproven rookie who has yet to play a game would?

#341 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa are all more than average defencemen. Whether you realize it or not, Garrison would be the perfect partner for Edler. He's got some size, plays a great two-way game and plays the right side. If we get him for a good price it's a great fit.

#342 Dr.G

Dr.G

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

The only player available this year that could put the team over the top is Parise, and that's not going to happen.

You don't think adding a defender that scored 16 goals helps? That's more goals that Ryan Suter had in the last 3 season combined.

You are underestimating Garrison by a mile. Remember how Burrows was undrafted and didn't have a major impact until he was around 27? Garrison is 26, it happens.

And who cares about the price?? If they overpay him slightly because they believe he'll help this team win the cup, who the hell cares? It's not like it's coming out of any of our pockets. People need to quit pretending like they know what it's like to be a GM. I don't know what it's like, so I don't try.

Edited by Dr.G, 01 July 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#343 The Horvatian One

The Horvatian One

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:08 AM

Trade ballard
Get garrison
Get er done mg!

#344 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

Wideman isn't even worth Wideman money.

#345 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

Garrison is a good, versatile shutdown defender that can play big minutes against another team's top line, and he'll be paid like one. He also scored a lot of goals last year and he'll get at least a little more money for that as a result, even though few people expect him to repeat. It's also July 1 and a very weak crop of UFA defenders will mean he will have plenty of suitors, some of whom will likely offer him more than we will be prepared to pay him. If we sign him for anything like Hamhuis/Bieksa type money it will be because he chose to take less to play here.

#346 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

It seems to me that the base rate for top 4 dmen is now around $4.0 to 4.5M based on length of contract. Garrison can probably get more in the open market. Hoping MG can get him in the $4.5 range but Garrison will want at least 3 years and a NM or NT clause. That could be a deal breaker. Also like to point out that Aaron Rome scored 6 goals off the right side last year. Just sayin...

The Ballard experience is saying something about Van's scouting or their defensive coaching or about Ballard himself. Take your choice but something isn't working.

#347 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

bump

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#348 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

I KNOW this isn't a valid source, but this is interesting

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

Hearing Garrison and #Canucks are very close. Deal could be announced today.

Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#349 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

I don't know of too many adults who want a trampoline or a ferris wheel in their house. Kinda odd choices to make with an extra 500k per year but what ever you like. Perhaps you can also buy a candy cane machine too.

Please name some of "many NHLers" that took millions less to play with a certain team. It's believed Hamhuis took less but there aren't many more. How many NHLers hold out on due to contract issues. Didn't Drew Doughty just do that? Didn't Luongo get traded to Vancouver because he wanted more money from Florida but they wouldn't pay? Didn't the Great Joe Sakic sign an offer sheet with the Rangers for more money than COL would pay him? Most NHL players are from small town Canada or Europe yet they play in the US. This is because of money. They move half way across the world to make money.

PPL like you believe these guys are playing out their child hood dreams. There are more doctors and lawyers in the world than there are professional athletes, they had child hood dreams of becoming doctors and lawyers too. They don't do their jobs for less money than they could get else where because it was their dream to be a lawyer. Neither do pro athletes. NHL is a business and player after player says this. They know its a business. As a matter of fact its a $3.1 billion business. You may recall the lockout. It was all over money. This whole childhood dream thing is what kids believe. Kids also believe professional athletes are heroes and role models.

Well, it's one day later and we can all look back in hindsight.

It would appear as if Mr. Jason Garrison has taken that first step toward "living out his childhood dream", by turning down millions of dollars to sign with his favorite... childhood team. Hey, when you think about it, it's kind of similar to the Mitchell and Hamhuis situation.

And look at Jordan Staal. He just turned down sixty million dollars, from a perennial contender, to play with his brother. Idn't dat cute.

Sometimes, it's not all about money, no matter how "childish" a thought-process that might be.
Posted Image

#350 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

It would appear as if Mr. Jason Garrison has taken that first step toward "living out his childhood dream", by turning down millions of dollars to sign with his favorite... childhood team. Hey, when you think about it, it's kind of similar to the Mitchell and Hamhuis situation.

And look at Jordan Staal. He just turned down sixty million dollars, from a perennial contender, to play with his brother. Idn't dat cute.

Sometimes, it's not all about money, no matter how "childish" a thought-process that might be.

love your quote Beatles <3

and yeah MG overpaid BIGTIME for garrison 6 years 4.6 mil per
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#351 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Actually Garrison got longer term (6year) from the Canucks on a front loaded deal. He makes $5.5, $6.5, $5.0 and $4.5 over the next 4 years. That averages out to $5.375 mill per year. The last 2 years are lower in salary but guaranteed money. So in the end he gets 2 years extra guaranteed money so IMO there isn't much he left on the table. Luongo's cap hit is $5.3 but we all know he makes $6.7 per year.

Jordan Staal signed for $60 million dollars with Carolina so he didn't "turn down" anything. If you think about child hood dreams wouldn't Staal's dream be to win multiple Cups? He could have done that in PIT but wanted to leave because he wants a bigger role, didn't want to be 3rd line C. So in essence he cares more about getting extra playing time and playing with his brother than winning multiple Cups.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.