The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Untouchable Core Of The Canucks

L'Orange

The Core - Untouchable?  

595 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is this idea that there is a "core of untouchables" that have to stay in order for Vancouver to win the Stanley Cup. This idea is no more prevalent than here on the CDC.

In this core are (averaged out based on lists read):

Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Alexandre Burrows, Alexander Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Sami Salo.

These players represent the best the NHL has to offer in Vancouver according to many enlightened minds. So much so that suggesting a trade involving any of them gets flamed immediately, usually with some painfully sardonic wit.

In my humble OPINION, the majority of those mentioned in the poll are truly indispensible. Here's why.

Henrik Sedin: The Canucks captain who truly earned his captaincy this season. He was one of the few bright lights in the short playoff run. He showed the hockey world what being tough truly meant. He fought hard every shift, took hits and kept going. Without a doubt, a true leader. He's earned everything.

Daniel Sedin: His absence during the last gasp of the regular season and the first 3 games of the playoffs was massive. If Daniel was healthy, the Canucks could have won the series. I said it. Yeah. Daniel Sedin was the most dangerous scoring threat Quick has faced in the playoffs. Daniel is a natural sniper and possesses unnatural skill. He has earned it.

Ryan Kesler: He had a sub par season sandwiched between two pretty severe injuries....Give him a f%^king break! He dominated Nashville merely 13 months ago. Barry Trotz said the following:

"He was a force the whole series. We've used multiple people against him," Trotz said.

"He had one of those series that is absolutely remarkable for one player."

He has earned it.

Alexandre Burrows: He has made magic with all three players mentioned above, slayed Chicago in overtime, stands up for his teammates, criticizes officiating, never airs his dirty laundry, and is playing for Canada in the Worlds. He is the Canucks beating heart. He's earned it.

Kevin Bieksa: Even though he made some awful mistakes in the LA series, Juice is the goods. He scored the goal that took us to the Finals last year, he has played goaltender and goal scorer in the span of 23 seconds in Colorado, and has stood up for his team. Just ask Patrick Marleau or Mike Richards. Hamhuis is the perfect foil.

Dan Hamhuis: The greatest Canucks defenseman playing. A solid reliable force with an embarassment of talent. Earned indefinitely.

Sami Salo: Sami has been with the Vancouver Canucks for a decade. He has been quietly instrumental in forming this elite squad. His terrifyingly hard shot is as dangerous as anything Chara or Weber can muster, but his precision aim is what makes his the best. He had a whole year injury free. If Salo plays next year, it has to be here. Whatever he wants, pay him. He's earned it.

and then there's

Alexander Edler: He is considered intouchable, a necessary piece of the team going forward.

But, I don't see it. Yes, I know. He's 6'3" and can take down Patrick Kane and Drew Doughty. Pat Kane can be taken down by 12 Michelobs.....Edler has scored many goals for a defenceman, but his linemates are everyone mentioned above. And, he gets support from two of the best goalies in the league. But take all that away? Anze Kopitar would love to play with Edler. Edler should have been credited for an assist. Earned? Nah. I place him here merely for continuity with the poll.

Roberto Luongo: The greatest goaltender in Canucks history by a mile. A man whose effort and skill delivered Vancouver a playoff contender. Perenially. Or as I like to say yearly. He has earned it. And can deliver.

Is he human? Yeah. He's let in some soft goals, but so has Johnny Quick...from center ice. He is horrible from far out! Both Juice and Edler scored on him from far. Anyways.

Cory Schneider: A starting goalie in his own right. He has proven himself on the big stage with performances in Boston and LA that were jaw dropping. He has earned it too. Keep them both. If they agree, why the F%$k not?

Who else?

Jannik Hansen: Honey Badger! He is one of the best skaters and snipers in the league. Indispenable. Honey BADGER! Earned!

Maxim Lapierre: A triple threat. An agitator who entertains, fighter who boxes, and a player who can dominate. He will emerge as a top 6 next season.

Chris Higgins: A deal at 1.5 million. (estimate: Too lazy to check www.capgeek.com)

Keith Ballard: You see if the organization just fire Bowness and hire someone who can play Ballard on his proper position, he is the fastest Canuck with a 13.4 second lap. If that doesn't impress you, he kicked Joe Pavelski's ass. And he was one of the best defenseman in the playoffs. Why? He was consistent. Earned.

Chris Tanev: He looked like a rookie in the playoffs. He was. The only rookie on the team given playoff experience. Weird. An emerging talent, no less.

David Booth: I seesaw with Booth. However I realize that if Booth has a full season to play he may show the true power forward he is. Just no more hunting news.

Zack Kassian: A full season will do him wonders. He has been a physical presence.

Byron Bitz: Bad ending to the season, but still is a BIG forward they can use to give the Sedins breathing room.

Marc-Andre Gragnani: A future top 4. He shows great promise.

Manny Malhotra: His injury was career threatening, but he made it back the same season to play in the playoffs. Earned. Still a faceoff dominator, low as a mongoose.

Dale Weise: He's got some heart.

Minus Edler, this is the core.

The rest?

Andrew Alberts: A large defenseman with some hitting capabilities but zero fighting skill. Proven by his unnatural attraction to getting into them and than getting handed his ass.

Mason Raymond: Flashes of brillance are merely that. Flashes. He seemed fully operational by seasons end. Maybe his back is not 100%.

Aaron Rome: A plug defenseman.

Andrew Ebbett: A plug forward.

Sammi Pahlsson: Brought in for centre depth at playoffs.

STATUS OF TRADE SUCCESS: Unsuccessful

So if somethings rotten in the core? What do ya do?

I just don't see Kesler as untouchable. Don't get me wrong; he was injured, came back too early from hip surgery and it was one year, but Kesler comes across as a prick and i'm sure he's rubbed people in the franchise the wrong way.

Everything is good when you're making the stanley cup finals, and Kesler would definitely play a part every year. However, if you're not winning, his attitude has the ability to run thin (I'm assuming). I don't question his heart one and commitment one bit, those are different things.

Having said all that, it would take an amazing young player to lure Kesler away from me.

The Sedins are easily the most untouchable. I'd also say Kesler won't be moved either. Burrows, Hansen, Salo, and Hamhuis also won't be traded because their importance to this team. (And Burrows' and Hansen's contract also helps).

And after we trade one of our goalies, the other will be untouchable too.

MAG looks terrible. You basicly just named all the Canucks and called them all untouchables except for our so called scratches. Also, Hansen can barely finish a nice pass so he's not even close to a sniper.

MAG looks terrible. You basicly just named all the Canucks and called them all untouchables except for our so called scratches. Also, Hansen can barely finish a nice pass so he's not even close to a sniper.

One player many consider untouchable should be traded this off season.

Our problem is not one of our core players, our untouchables, is is considered a big dude in their position (my daughters words). So we have size mis-match problems at every position except goalie. I suggest we will trade one goalie and one other core player. It wont be a Sedin or Burrows, and I do not think it will be Kesler. Someone else is trouble.

If I'm choosing, it would likely be a left D or left wing. In both cases we have more good players than positions & we need right D & right wings (the real reason Hodgson was traded)...

It would also send a message that we should win while we have the window.

seriously, thats the whole team you put in there and not the core. core would be: sedins, kes, Lu, juice, burrows. untouchables would be sedins, kes, juice, burr, hammer. lu used to be untouchable- but he made himself movable. ultimate untouchable? that would be the twins. anybody else can be moved but the twins- the faces of canucks. once they're gone- the door for the cup goes with them.

One player many consider untouchable should be traded this off season.

Our problem is not one of our core players, our untouchables, is is considered a big dude in their position (my daughters words). So we have size mis-match problems at every position except goalie. I suggest we will trade one goalie and one other core player. It wont be a Sedin or Burrows, and I do not think it will be Kesler. Someone else is trouble.

If I'm choosing, it would likely be a left D or left wing. In both cases we have more good players than positions & we need right D & right wings (the real reason Hodgson was traded)...

It would also send a message that we should win while we have the window.

You made this long thread praising every player and to bash Edler just so your post doesn't get locked. Nice job lol. You can't justify Kesler's play with "just an offyear" without giving Edler the same justification, as he has proved to be a force the year we played LA in the first round. So either bash both of them or cut both of them some slack. And oh btw Edler had more goals than 21 other canucks. Kesler had ZERO, and Kesler is suppose to be an offensive force, give yoru head shake.

Sedins and Salo imo are probably the only Untouchables. I would like Burrows, Kesler and Edler to be untouchable but the fact is they are not. Luongo would also be untouchable but then something stupid happened. He signed a long term contract to stay a Canuck and bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver and the fans cannot take having a good goaltender. They obviously miss the days of Cloutier, Auld, Hedberg, etc.

Untouchable: Sedins, Hamhuis

Movable with overpayment: Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa (not really, with that NTC), Edler, Schneider

Movable but unlikely (worth more to us than other teams): Hansen, Tanev, Lapierre, Higgins, Salo

Movable: Booth, Ballard, Luongo ,Bitz, Malholtra, Rome

Trade Bait: Raymond

Archived