The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Untouchable Core Of The Canucks

L'Orange

The Core - Untouchable?  

595 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Untouchable: Sedins, Hamhuis

Movable with overpayment: Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa (not really, with that NTC), Edler, Schneider

Movable but unlikely (worth more to us than other teams): Hansen, Tanev, Lapierre, Higgins, Salo

Movable: Booth, Ballard, Luongo, Raymond, Bitz, Malholtra, Rome

Trade Bait: Raymond

Truly I think only the Sedins are untouchable.

Kesler is theoretically untouchable because of the injury.

IMO or if I was running the team Hamhuis would be on that list because besides him we have 0 top 4 defence guys that can be counted on to actually play defence. Salo may be too old to be effective this year. OUR DEFENCE IS A FRICKING MESS

Juice and Edler are both poor defensively, I think it's tough to carry two guys like that in your top 4 setup. One guy that just provides offensive punch and a bit of muscle can be hidden but not two. Edler would be a perfect third liner right now.

Burrows should be on that list for what he's done for the Canucks and what he brings, and at what price ... but his contract coming up makes that tricky.

One of our goalies is getting moved so both are not untouchable.

The rest are definitely in play.

This team needs d help with Salo aging and/or gone and/or PP insurance 7th man.

If Keith and Tanev play as the third pairing we need somebody to play with Eddy.

I want to see Schnieds gone and Luo stay here for one,final crack with the core.

MAG looks terrible. You basicly just named all the Canucks and called them all untouchables except for our so called scratches. Also, Hansen can barely finish a nice pass so he's not even close to a sniper.

I voted for everyone but Bieksa, I never really seen him as part of the core. I can name a ton of other NHL defencemen with lower or similar salaries I would be happy to replace him with, I can't say the same for Edler or the Sedins or Burrows or last years Ryan Kesler (who I think will be back next season)

I would say that Kesler is the MOST movable. He has a terrible attitude, and its wearing thin on the players and the coaches. He had a terrible year, not just since his injury in February. Even AV pointed out how he must use his teamates. A change would be good for him, maybe a straight up trade to Pittsburgh for Stahl would be awesome

fire bowness and AV and Edler is beast. Bieksa still is a defensive liability at times. Whoever's idea it was to switch up defensive pairings before playoffs and the person who went along with it should both be fired(AV/Bowness) that causes Defense issues with chemistry ect.

Raymond is an obvious choice on wing, and the popular choice is Ballard on D.

Personally, I also see Edler as a target for being re-signed by MG prior to July 1st. The potential for loosing him because he's UFA at the end of the year, if not re-signed, makes him a much stronger possibility?

But everything else depends on what happens in the off season. What if we sign Garrison? Puck moving 220 lb offensive D, better now than we could expect MAG or Connauton to be. Justin Schultz? I personally would also trade Tanev, not that exciting an asset outside Canuck fans, if we could get a return. Too small on a small D without offensive or puck carrying upside. What if we sign Moen? Almost perfect physical specimen and type player for us? But another LW. Cap management, like drafting, says pick best guy available, then when you have more flexibility to trade higher up your line up. But believe it or not making these type suggested deals / signings before making big money decisions (like trading Edler) gives your team the strength to make such decisions.

I know Philly traded their players first (and made good trades). It worked in the sense that mid priced Jagr (boy would I LOVE to have him) became feasible. But it also meant they had to waaaaay overpay for their goalie.

I think you are right. I see Booth and Edler as dispensable. Not really because there is anything wrong with them but they seem to be the players who are playing reasonably well, release decent cap space and who would attract some interest. Despite that they would probably not be missed. Higgins for Booth and Ballard for Edler.

The only reason anybody on the canucks are "untouchable" is because they already have no trade clauses. Edler could be moved if he demands too much money or we want to clear space to sign someone else (Shea Weber), Kesler while one hell of a player could easily be moved in a Mike Richards type deal if the team decides to go in a different direction, and yes even the Sedins theoretically could be moved if (knock on wood) the Canucks in a couple years are say in Columbus's situation and the Sedins asked to be traded to a contender in the last year of their contracts.

Sedins and Salo imo are probably the only Untouchables. I would like Burrows, Kesler and Edler to be untouchable but the fact is they are not. Luongo would also be untouchable but then something stupid happened. He signed a long term contract to stay a Canuck and bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver and the fans cannot take having a good goaltender. They obviously miss the days of Cloutier, Auld, Hedberg, etc.

Archived